Work as Scientific Database Curator at European Molecular Biology Laboratory
The EBI is part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) and it is a world-leading bioinformatics centre providing biological data to the scientific community with expertise in data storage, analysis and representation. EMBL-EBI provides freely available data from life science experiments, performs basic research in computational biology and offers an extensive user training programme, supporting researchers in academic and industry.
Job Title : Scientific Database Curator
Location : EMBL-EBI
Qualification : The ideal candidate will be educated to degree level in life science and will have a broad knowledge in biochemistry and/or molecular biology. A higher degree (MSc/PhD) and/or relevant post-graduate experience will be very desirable.
- Several years experience in the experimental investigation of proteins.
- Previous experience in using Windows and biological databases.
- In addition to the above, previous database curation and/or editorial experience is advantageous, but not essential, as full training will be provided.
Skills : The successful candidate must be detail-oriented and must be able to quickly and accurately interpret scientific data and literature. You will work closely with other team members, other EMBL-EBI groups and our international collaborators, the ideal candidate will therefore possess excellent communication andorganisational skills in order to interact well under time pressure within a team of software developers, biologists and with external international partners.
Job Responsibilities :
- The extraction of experimental protein data from the scientific literature and other databases.
- The analysis and annotation of protein sequences using a range of sequence analysis tools.
- The interaction with the Protein Function Development team’s software engineers to work on the improvement of the database(s) contents and services, and outreach to our scientific communities.
Last Date to Apply : 03.04.2016