SERB International Research Experience (SIRE) – Call For Applications
Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), a statutory body under the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India has launched “SERB International Research Experience (SIRE)”.
This Program aims to impart high-end research training in frontier areas of Science and Technology, which are of interest to India by providing opportunity to visit leading institutions/universities across the globe for a period of 02-06 months. The applicant should have Ph.D. degree in the area of Science and Engineering from recognized institutions in India. The applicant holding a permanent position in any Indian research institution would be eligible to apply. The age limit for applying under this scheme shall be 40 years. Age relaxation will be given as per GoI norms in respect of SC/ST/OBC/physically challenged and women candidates. SERB under this program selects candidates in frontier areas of S & T and supports their visit to top institutions around the globe, preferably to the institutions where internationally acclaimed scientists are working. The applicant should himself/herself correspond with the proposed host institution for their visit under this program. The candidate should also submit a letter of approval of research plan from the host.
- To build national capacity in frontier areas of Science and Technology by providing opportunities for International R&D experience by SIRE fellows.
- To tap the expertise gained by SIRE fellows to strengthen/initiate national programmes in their domain knowledge.
- To encourage research activities in priority areas which are still less explored in Indian context.
- The scheme is open to Indian nationals only.
- Applicant should have Ph.D. degree in the area of Science and Engineering from recognized institutions in India. The applicant must hold a permanent position in any
- Indian research and academic institution.
- Applicant having MBBS / MD degree and Veterinary doctors are also eligible to apply
- Applicants having Teachers Associateship for Research excellence (TARE) award are also eligible to apply
- Applicant must submit a letter of support from the overseas host institution along with application.
- The age limit for applying under this scheme shall be 40 years (as on date of submission of application). Age relaxation of 5 years will be given to applicants belonging to SC/ST/OBC/physically challenged and women categories.
The selection would be made among faculties who gained approval of research plan from overseas institutions. The Board will constitute a selection committee to select the candidates.
Nature & Duration of Support
The selected fellows will be paid a monthly fellowship amount equivalent to US $ 3000, one time Contingency / Preparatory allowances of Rs. 75,000/- to cover visa fee, airport transfer charges, insurance etc., Overseas Medical Insurance in India and abroad of Rs. 20,000/-.
The selected fellows will also be provided shortest route economy class air fare from their place of work in India to the place of the host institute and back.
- The application for consideration under the SERB International Research Experience (SIRE) Program can be submitted through SERB online portal www.serbonline.in only when the call for proposal in made.
- The applicant has to apply through online portal in the prescribed format.
- The maximum duration of the abroad visit is limited to 06 months.
- For scientists / researchers in regular employment, rules governing payment of salary, leave, medical, gratuity, GPF and pension etc. of the organization/ institution/ university to which the fellow belongs would continue to be applicable as per their institutional norms. No liability on any of these will be borne by SERB.
- The candidates selected under this programme should commence their research in overseas institution within one month from the date of the offer letter, and if not, the offer will be automatically stands withdrawn and no correspondence will be entertained thereafter.
- Applicant must submit the endorsement letter duly signed by the head of organization/ institute where the applicant is employed.
- The candidate should also submit a letter of approval of research plan from the host.
- Copy of acceptance letter from host institution.
How To Apply Online
For successful online submission of the application the following points may be noted:
- Applicant should first register into the online website. click here to register.
- After successful registration, user will be sent a confirmation mail on registered emaiID.
- User must click on the url provided in the mail to confirm registration.
- After log-in, applicant(s) are required to fill all the mandatory fields in Profile Detail section under User Profile. which includes Bio-data, Photo, Institute Address etc.
- Details like Qualification, Research Experience, Fellowships (if any), Employment, Patent(if any), Publications(if any) , Projects(if any), Research Collaborations(if any) have to be provided.
- Some of the details of your proposed work like Title (max 500 characters), Keywords (max 6), Expected output and outcome (max 1500 characters) and Tentative dates of visit etc. have to be entered at the time of submission.
- Research Plan has to be uploaded in single PDF file not more than 10 MB. Download Template.
Documents Checklist (in PDF):
- Bio-data of applicant Download Template
- Bio-data of Overseas Host Scientist
- Consent letter from host Download Template
- Research Plan. Download Template
- Plagiarism undertaking Download Template
- Certificate from Applicant. Download Template
- Endorsement Letter from the Head of Institution. Download Template
- Age Proof Certificate (Class X marksheet or Birth certificate)
- Category Certificate (In case of Age Relaxation)
Dr. Arvind Chaudhary , Scientist ‘D’
Tel – +91-011- 26511035
Email – [email protected].
Dr. Praveen Kumar S, Scientist ‘F’
Email – [email protected].
Frequently Asked Questions –
Q1 – I was awarded SIRE fellowship to visit Cambridge University during March-May, 2022. However, I could not go to the approved visit due to delay in getting Visa. Can I use the above support to visit some other lab in same or different country?
A1 – No. The support given for a particular visit and duration cannot be utilized for visiting a place other than mentioned in the application. The Applicant should apply a fresh to seek support for another visit.
Q2 – Can I avail SIRE fellowship multiple times?
A2 – No, any applicant is eligible to avail this fellowship only once in his / her career.
Q3 – Can I apply for only one month visit?
A3 – No. The duration of the proposed visit must be within 02-6 months.
Q4 – Can I use SIRE fellowship to visit other nearby institutions during my stay in the proposed country?
A4 – No, SIRE fellowship must be utilized only for the purpose for which it has been sanctioned.
Q5 – Will flight cancellation / rescheduling charges or extra baggage charges be considered under SIRE fellowship?
A5 – No. SERB will not provide any type of cancellation / rescheduling charges or extra baggage charges.
Q6 – I am 41 years old. Can I avail SIRE fellowship?
A6 – The maximum age limit to apply under SIRE programme is 40 years. However, SC/ST/OBC and Women candidates will be given age relaxation of 5 years, provided, the applicant has submitted the valid category proof.
Q7 – What, if I have provided any incorrect/misleading information or breach of terms and conditions?
A7 – Fellowship will be cancelled and given support will be withdrawn at any stage. SERB has all the rights to take any action in consultation with the applicant’s parent organization / university / institute etc. including refund of entire amount spent on the SIRE Fellow along with the interest thereon to SERB.
Q8 – I have an ongoing SERB project under CRG/SRG. Am I eligible to apply under SIRE?
A8 – Yes.
Q9 – I have availed ITS support of SERB this year / last year. Am I eligible to apply under SIRE?
A9 – Yes.
Q10 – I have done my Ph.D. from abroad. Am I eligible to apply?
A10 – No. Only those candidates who have completed their Ph.D. from India are eligible to apply.
Q11 – Are INSPIRE Faculty / Ramanujan Fellow eligible to apply under SIRE?
A11 – No.
Q12 – Is tenure track faculty position qualify as permanent position and are they eligible to apply under SIRE?
A12 – Yes, however, the institution must endorse the tenure track faculty as permanent faculty.
From Aug 01 2022 to Sep 13 2022 05:00 PM
Editor’s Note: SERB International Research Experience (SIRE) – Call For Applications. Please make sure that you are subscribed to the Biotecnika Times Newsletter and our YouTube channel to be notified of all of the latest in the industry. Follow us on all of our social media like Twitter, Telegram, Facebook and Instagram.