Har Gobind Khorana Innovative Young Biotechnology Award 2020 – Fellowship : Rs. 75,000/- pm
The official notification for the Har-Gobind Khorana ‘Innovative Young Biotechnologist Award’ (IYBA) 2020 has been released. Awards of Rs. 75,000 and Rs. 1 Lakh is up for grabs. Freshers candidates with life sciences background are eligible to apply. Check out all of the details on the same below:
This call expires in :
DETAILS OF HAR-GOBIND KHORANA INNOVATIVE YOUNG
Background & Purpose
The Har-Gobind Khorana’Innovative Young Biotechnologist Award’ (IYBA), instituted by the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India is an attractive Research Award to identify and nurture exceptional young scientists with innovative ideas and desirous of pursuing research in frontier regions of Biotechnology. Young scientists up to the age of 35 years with relaxation of 5 years for SC/ST/OBC, Women and Physically Handicapped Category are considered for this award. Scientists without regular employment are eligible for this award. The award is made up of Research Grant for a proposed innovative project and a fellowship of Rs. 75,000/- per month for 3 years awardees that aren’t in regular employment. Association of a mentor (senior faculty/scientist in a University, Research Institute, Medical/Agriculture/ Veterinary College or any other research institute of repute) is compulsory for all those candidates that aren’t in regular positions. The mentor must agree to provide lab space and other facilities that are needed. The application has to be forwarded by the head of this institute or duly designated competent authority. It’s anticipated that the awardees will work independently and the mentor will facilitate the awardee’s research efforts. Awardees having regular (permanent) employment will receive a cash award of Rs.1,00,000/- (Rupees One Lakh Only) annually for a period of 3 years in addition to a Research Grant.
- The applicant must be an Indian Citizen.
- The applicant must have a PhD in almost any branch of Life Sciences, Computational Sciences (applied to Biotechnology, Medicine or Biological Sciences), Veterinary Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences and Agricultural Sciences. Master degree holders in Dentistry or Medicine (MD/MS/MDS or IMC designated equal ) and Engineering/Technology (M.Tech or AICTE designated equal ) are eligible to use.
- Age limit: Not more than 35 years old on the last date of submission of application i. e., 25th June 2020. Fresh PhD’s are strongly encouraged to apply if they meet the mandatory requirements. Age relaxation of 5 years is made for Candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC, Women and Physically Handicapped Category.
- The applicant should have a superb academic career and a track record of high impact peer-reviewed publications or invented technologies as evident by granting Indian and/or international patents.
- Cumulative publication of 4 as a first or corresponding author or a single granted Indian patent or one granted International patent.
- The proposed project needs to be completed in any recognized research institution/university in India having adequate facilities to carry out for its implementation. A consent letter signed by the proposed mentor stating that all lab facilities will be provided for implementation of this proposed project has to be provided for people who aren’t in permanent services. The application needs to be forwarded by the head or designated competent authority of the host Institution or University.
Nature of Award:
The award will cover both non-recurring and recurring fiscal grants for executing the innovative research plan proposed by the awardee. Including equipment/software, consumables, contingencies and travel grant as needed for the research project. In addition, a fellowship of Rs. 75,000/- per month will probably be admissible for awardees which don’t have regular employment or aren’t drawing any other fellowship. If during the course of this project, the awardee finds out regular employment or receives some additional fellowship, the awardee should immediately inform the fact to the DBT and the monthly payment of a fellowship in the subsequent month onward will be discontinued. In this situation, the awardees will receive Rs. 1.00 lakh cash award per annum similar to the awardees those are in regular employment. Awardees having regular employment will receive a cash award of Rs. 1.00 lakh each year during the course of this project in addition to the gear and other recurring grants except that the fellowship amount.
|Equipment and accessories||Up to an amount of Rs. 10.00|
|Description||Amount||Comments and Notes|
|Fellowship||Rs. 75,000 per month for 3|
|Admissible only to awardees|
who do not have a regular
employment or not in receipt of
any other fellowship/salary
|Cash Award||Rs. 1.00 lakh per year for 3|
|Admissible only to awardees|
who hold regular permanent
|Manpower (either one JRF|
or one SRF or one Project
Assistant or Project
Associate Level I/II
|As per DST O.M. dated Jan|
30, 2019 and DST OM dated
August 21, 2019
|Qualifications for JRF and|
SRF are as per DST O.M.
dated Jan 30, 2019. Stipends
for Project Assistants with a
Master’s degree are Rs.
15,000/- per month and with
Bachelor’s degree is Rs.
12,000/- per month
Contingencies & Travel
(Travel expenditure is to be
restricted up to Rs. 50000/-
|Rs. 10.00 lakh per year|
|Overheads||As per DBT rules|
Duration: The length of the project is going to likely be for a period of 3 years subject to satisfactory progress.
- A letter from the Mentor, giving consent to provide lab space where the applicant needs to work, should be included with the application for people that aren’t in permanent employment. The lab ought to have the ability to support the major needs of this project.
- The project will be operated by the awardee. But, capital equipment will be procured in the name of the institute in which the awardee proposes to work.
- The financial transactions of this award need to be dealt with by the host institute, which will be responsible for submitting the Utilization certificate and Statement of Expenditure every financial year.
- IYBA awardee shouldn’t undertake foreign deputations for more than three months throughout the whole course of this project period.
- The awardee will be the corresponding author for any publication emanating as a result of the research completed due to their award. The mentor and many others could be co-authors. This arrangement will serve the goal of the award, namely nurturing excellence of young investigators, which makes them independent, eligible for faculty positions and excel as scientists.
- Additional Terms & Conditions should be followed as mentioned in the sanction order of their grant as and if the award is going to be sanctioned to awardees.
How to Apply:
Applications in the prescribed proforma should be mandatorily submitted through online DBT portal (ePromis) (url: http://www.dbtepromis.nic.in) on or before 25th June 2020. One hard copy of application along with requisite documents should be sent to Dr. Kakali Dey Dasgupta, Scientist “E”, Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology, 7th Floor, Block-2, CGO Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi -110003.
For details of the award, application proforma and steps for online submission of
application please log on to DBT website (www.dbtindia.gov.in)
- Start Date of submission: 10th May 2020 ;
- End Date of Submission of application: 25th June 2020
View Notification Below
Editor’s Note: Har Gobind Khorana Innovative Young Biotechnology Award 2020 – Fellowship : Rs. 75,000/- pm. Please make sure that you are subscribed to the Biotecnika Times Newsletter and our YouTube channel to be notified of all of the latest in the industry. Follow us on all of our social media like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.