JAWAHARLAL NEHRU UNIVERSITY
NEW DELHI – 110067
Rolling Advt. No. RC/03/2017
A number of faculty positions at the level of Professor, Associate Professor and Assistant Professor are available in various Schools/Centres of the University. Candidates with good academic record, teaching and research experience and working in related areas, are encouraged to apply. University also solicits applications from candidates with research interests that are interdisciplinary. At present, the number of vacancies at each level are as under:
The JNU has openings for faculty positions at the level of Professor, Associate Professor and Assistant Professor (Backlog vacancies for Unreserved and OBC category) in the areas of specialization as indicated against each. The posts were advertised earlier vide Advt. No. RC/44/2012, RC/45/2013, RC/47/2014, RC/48/2014, RC/49/2014, RC/50/2015 & RC/55/2015.
Candidates with good academic record, teaching/research experience and working in related areas of research are encouraged to apply. University also solicits applications from candidates with research interests that are interdisciplinary.
The essential qualifications/scales of pay for these positions will be as per the UGC Regulations, 2010, amended from time to time.
Job Title : PROFESSOR
SCALE OF PAY : Rs. 37400-67000 (PB-4) AGP Rs. 10000
(i) An eminent scholar with Ph.D. qualification(s) in the concerned/allied/relevant discipline and published work of high quality, actively engaged in research with evidence of published work with a minimum of 10 publications books and/or research/policy papers
(ii) A minimum of ten years of teaching experience in university/college, and/or experience in research at the University/National level institutions/industries, including experience of guiding candidates for research at doctoral level
(iii)Contribution to educational innovation, design of new curricula and courses, and technology-mediated teaching learning process
(iv) A minimum score as stipulated in the Academic Performance Indicator (API) based Performance Based Appraisal System (PBAS), as set out in the Regulation, 2010.
(v) Consolidated API scores of 400 points is required from Categories II & III of APIs (Cumulative) alongwith other specified eligibility qualifications stipulated in the Regulations 2010, as amended vide UGC Gazette notification dated 11.07.2016. Interview criterion, out of 100 points, shall be as follows:
a) Academic Background 20%
b) Research Performance based on API score and quality of publications 40%
c) Assessment of Domain Knowledge and Teaching Skills 20%
d) Interview Performance: 20%
Job Title : ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR
SCALE OF PAY: Rs. 37400-67000 (PB-4) AGP Rs. 9000
(i) Good academic record with a Ph.D. Degree in the concerned/allied/relevant discipline.
(ii) A Master’s Degree with at least 55% marks (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed.
(iii)A minimum of eight years of experience of teaching and/or research in an academic/research position equivalent to that of Assistant Professor in a University, College or Accredited Research Institution/industry excluding the period of Ph.D. research with evidence of published work and a minimum of 5 publications as books and/or research/policy papers.
(iv) Contribution to educational innovation, design of new curricula and courses, and technology-mediated teaching learning process with evidence of having guided doctoral candidates and research students.
(v) A minimum score as stipulated in the Academic Performance Indicator (API) based Performance Based Appraisal System (PBAS), set out in the Regulation, 2010
(vi) Consolidated API scores of 300 points is required from categories II & III of APIs (Cumulative) alongwith other specified eligibility qualifications stipulated in the Regulations 2010, as amended vide UGC Gazette notification dated 11.07.2016. Interview criterion, out of 100 points, shall be as follows:
a) Academic Background 20%
b) Research Performance based on API score and quality of publications 40%
c) Assessment of Domain Knowledge and Teaching Skills 20%
d) Interview Performance: 20%
Job Title : ASSISTANT PROFESSOR
SCALE OF PAY : Rs. 15600-39100 (PB-3) AGP Rs. 6000
(i) Good academic record as defined by the concerned university with at least 55% marks (or an equivalent grade in point scale wherever grading system is followed) at the Master’s Degree level in a relevant subject from an Indian University, or an equivalent degree from an accredited foreign university.
(ii) Besides fulfilling the above qualifications, the candidate must have cleared the National Eligibility Test (NET) conducted by the UGC, CSIR or similar test accredited by the UGC like SLET/SET.
(iii)Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-clauses (i) and (ii) to this Clause, candidates, who are, or have been awarded a Ph.D. Degree in accordance with the University Grants Commission (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of Ph.D. Degree) Regulations 2009, shall be exempted from the requirement of the minimum eligibility condition of NET/SLET/SET for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professor or
equivalent positions in Universities/Colleges/Institutions.
(iv) NET/SLET/SET shall also not be required for such Masters Programmes in disciplines for which NET/SLET/SET is not conducted.
(v) The candidates applying for the post of Assistant Professor are requested to submit a certificate to the effect that the Ph.D. has been awarded in accordance with the UGC Regulations, 2009, to get exemption from NET.
(vi) The candidates applying for the post of Assistant Professor who were enrolled for Ph.D. before July 11, 2009 will be governed by the 4th Amendment, UGC Regulations 2016, which is as under:
“Provided further, the award of degree to candidates registered for M.Phil/Ph.D. programme prior to July 11, 2009, shall be governed by the provisions of the then existing Ordinances/Bylaws/Regulations of the Institutions awarding the degree and the Ph.D. candidates shall be exempted from the requirement of NET/SLET/SET for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professor or equivalent positions in Universities/Colleges/Institutions subject to the fulfillment of the following conditions:-
(a) Ph.D. degree of the candidate awarded in regular mode only;
(b) Evaluation of the Ph.D. thesis by at least two external examiners;
(c) Open Ph.D. viva voce of the candidate had been conducted;
(d) Candidate has published two research papers from his/her Ph.D. work out of which at least one must be in a refereed journal;
(e) Candidate has made at least two presentations in conferences/seminars, based on his/her Ph.D. work.
(a) to (e) as above are to be certified by the Vice-Chancellor/Pro-Vice-Chancellor/Dean (Academic Affairs)/Dean (University instructions).”
For direct recruitment of Assistant Professor in the University, weightages to be considered for selection alongwith other specified eligibility qualifications shall be as stipulated in the Regulations 2010. Interview criterion, out of 100 points, shall be as follows:
a) Academic Record and Research Performance: 50%
b) Assessment of Domain Knowledge and Teaching skills: 30%
c) Interview Performance: 20%
SPECIALIZATION/DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & DETAILS OF THE POSTS:
SCHOOL OF BIOTECHNOLOGY (SBT)
1. Professor (Unreserved)
Specialization in any one of the areas, Medicinal Chemistry/ Eukeryotic Molecular Biology/Genetic Engineering/ Neurobiology/ Developmental Biology/ Bioengineering/ Biochemical Engineering/Plant Biology/Stem Cell Biology/Structural Biology/Systems Biology/Chemical Biology.
2-3. Associate Professor (Two Posts) (Both Unreserved)
4. Assistant Professor (Reserved for OBC)
Specialization in any one of the areas, Medicinal Chemistry/Eukeryotic Molecular Biology/
Genetic Engineering/Neurobiology/Developmental Biology/Bioengineering/Biochemical Engineering/ Plant Biology/Stem Cell Biology/Structural Biology/Systems Biology/Chemical Biology. (Specialization for Post Nos. 2-4)
SCHOOL OF LIFE SCIENCES (SLS)
5. Professor in Plant Biology (Unreserved)
M.Sc. and Ph.D. in any discipline of Plant Biology and teaching and research in Developmental Biology/Plant Biology. Candidates may have sufficient research experience in the regulation of development of roots, leaves, flowers or whole plant on any branch of Plant Biology.
6. Professor in Plant Genetics (Unreserved)
Renowned scientist with M.Sc. in Genetics any branch of Life Sciences with a specialization in Genetics and a Ph.D. in Plant Genetics with emphasis on Molecular aspects.
7. Professor in Animal Genetics (Unreserved)
Masters from the recognized University in the subject areas of Genetics/ Life Sciences having specialization in genetics. Ph.D. in the area of Animal Genetics with an emphasis on molecular aspects.
8. Professor in Biological Chemistry (Unreserved)
M.Sc. in any branch of Natural Sciences and Ph.D. in any branch of Life Sciences having experience in Cellular Metabolism and Metabolomics/ Single Cell transcriptomics and large scale data analysis.
9. Associate Professor in Immunology (Unreserved)
A consistently good academic record with a Master’s degree in any discipline of Life Sciences with specialization in Immunology. A Ph.D. degree in Biosciences of relevance to Immunology.
10. Assistant Professor in Molecular Parasitology (Unreserved)
M.Sc. in any branch of Life Sciences.
Ph.D. and two years post doctoral training in host-parasite relationship of human parasites (protist/helminth), Experience in using sophisticated molecular tools such as imaging, sequencing, proteomics as evidenced by quality research publications in high impact Journals.
11. Assistant Professor in Photobiology (Unreserved)
M.Sc. in any branch of Plant Sciences.
Ph.D. in Photosynthesis having two years post-doctoral experience in Photosynthesis and publication in area in highly reputed journals.
SPECIAL CENTRE FOR NANO SCIENCES (SCNS)
28. Associate Professor in Experimental Nanobiology (Unreserved)
The candidate should have obtained Masters degree in Biological Sciences and Ph.D. in area relevant to experimental biological sciences. Applicant must have published extensively and consistently in the area of nanoscience and nanotechnology applied to experimental biological sciences in high impact journals.
SPECIAL CENTRE FOR MOLECULAR MEDICINE (SCMM)
31. Associate Professor (Unreserved)
Anatomy & Physiology of Human body (Preferable with Medical background), Human Pathology, Human Genetics, Structural Biology, Bioinformatics/ Computational Biology, Pharmacology (Preferable with Medical background).
Candidates with M.Sc. & Ph.D. in above subjects with relevant post-doctoral experience in the above area(s) of Molecular Medicine as evidenced by excellent and consistent publication record in the relevant fields with strong motivation for teaching and research are encouraged to apply. Medical graduates with significant contribution in the related areas of research are highly encouraged to apply. MBBS/B.VSc or equivalent with MD/M.VSc/Ph.D. and publications in international peer-reviewed journals in relevant subjects are essentials.
- A relaxation of 5% may be provided from 55% to 50% of the marks at the Master’s level for the candidates
belonging to the SC/ST/PWD/OBC category.
- A relaxation of 5% may be provided, from 55% to 50% of the marks, to the Ph.D. Degree holders, who have
obtained their Master’s Degree prior to 19 September 1991.
- B in the following 7 point scale with letter grades O,A,B,C,D,E and F shall be regarded equivalent of 55% wherever the grading systems is followed:
|Grade||Grade Point||Percentage Equivalent|
|“O” = Outstanding||5.50 – 6.00||75-100|
|“A” = Very Good||4.50 – 5.49||65-74|
|“B” = Good||3.50 – 4.49||55-64|
|“C” = Average||2.50 – 3.49||45-54|
|“D” = Below Average||1.50 – 2.49||35-44|
|“E” = Poor||0.50 – 1.49||25-34|
|“F” = Fail||0.00 – 0.49||00-24|
How to Apply :
For more details on Centre/School, Essential Qualification, Specializations etc. please visit JNU website www.jnu.ac.in/career/ or contact Section Officer, Room No. 132, Recruitment Cell, Administrative Block, JNU, New Delhi – 110067, Email: [email protected] Candidates are advised to visit the JNU website on monthly basis for vacancies in the Rolling advertisements.
The eligible and interested persons are required to apply online in the format available on the University website. Applications will be accepted online only. The last date for the receipt of application is 14 March, 2017 at 5:30 P.M.
1. The eligible and interested persons are required to apply online in the format available on the University website www.jnu.ac.in/career/. Only online applications will be accepted.
2. Applicants are requested to kindly upload the photograph, scanned copies of all certificates, marksheets, evidence of teaching, research, NOC from the employer, M.A, M.Phil, Ph.D, NET certificates, copies of reprints of published articles, certificate containing the record of date of birth etc.
3. Incomplete application form without scanned signatures and other documents shall be summarily rejected.
4. The University reserves the right to:
(i) Draw panel(s) for future appointment(s) in the event of non-joining of candidate(s) within the stipulated time.
(ii) Conduct interview through Skype for candidates applying from abroad or from PH category at their request.
(iii) Not to fill up any of the advertised positions.
5. No correspondence regarding consideration of late applications will be entertained.
6. Qualifications and other conditions applicable are subject to UGC regulations 2010 as amended from time to time.
7(a) The period spent by the candidates to acquire M.Phil and/or Ph.D. Degree shall not be considered as research experience.
7(b) As per the UGC Communication dated 1 March, 2016 the period of active service spent on pursuing Research Degree i.e. for acquiring Ph.D. degree simultaneously without taking any kind of leave may be counted as teaching experience for the purpose of direct recruitment/promotion to the post of Associate Professor and above.
8. Relaxation in educational qualifications, experience, age, etc. to the reserved category candidates will be permissible as per UGC/Government of India rules.
9. SC/ST caste Certificate issued to the candidate by the competent authority should be in the format prescribed by Government of India for this purpose.
10. The candidates applying under PWD Category are required to submit the Disability Certificate issued by the competent authority in the format prescribed by Government of India for this purpose and available on the JNU website also.
11. In the case of OBC reservations, recent certificate should be issued from competent authority particularly with reference to Non–creamy layer. Those who fail to submit the required certificate(s) will be treated as General Category, subject to fulfilment of other terms & conditions. The candidates who are not covered in the Central list of OBC may not apply.
12. The prescribed essential qualifications are the minimum and the mere possession of the same does not entitle candidates to be called for interview. Where the number of applications received in response to an advertisement is large and it will not be convenient or possible to interview all the candidates, the University, at its discretion, may restrict the number of candidates to a reasonable limit on the basis of qualifications/experience higher than the minimum prescribed in the advertisement.
13. Advt. No., Post number and post applied for should be clearly indicated in the online application form. 14. Separate online Application Form is required to be filled up for each post to be accessed from JNU website www.jnu.ac.in.
15. Those already in Government service should forward their application through proper channel and/or submit the scanned copy of the NOC while filling the application form online. 16(a) Candidates applying for various faculty positions should go through the essential qualifications and other instructions carefully before applying and also upload scanned copies of all evidences in support of their claims.
16(b) API Score for journals may be claimed on the basis of whether papers are published in refereed journals or other reputed journals as per UGC Regulations 2016 (4th Amendment).
17. The eligibility of the candidates will be determined on the basis of qualifications/ Experience/publications etc. acquired by them upto the last date fixed for receipt of online applications.
18. The University reserves the right to modify/withdraw/cancel any communication made to the candidate(s) at any stage in the process of selection in case any inadvertent mistake is detected even after issue of appointment letter.
19. The University shall verify the antecedents or documents submitted by a candidate at any time of appointment or during the tenure of the service. In case, it is detected that the documents submitted by the candidates are fake or the candidate has undesirable/ clandestine antecedents and has suppressed any information, then his/her service shall be terminated.
20. The advertisement shall be published in the 11 February, 2017 issue of the Employment News. The last date for filling up of online application form is 14 March, 2017 at 5:30 P.M.
21. Candidates who had applied earlier and sent their bio-data/academic vitae to the Vice-Chancellor or any other authority of the University must apply afresh online by following the procedure.
22. The University reserves the right to alter/insert any corrections/additions in the advertisement/website in the event of any typographical error etc. before the last date prescribed for the receipt of applications, for which the candidates are advised to be in the lookout for announcements in the website: www.jnu.ac.in/career/.
23. The applicants are requested to submit the application online along with all the prescribed documents/evidences within the time line.
24. An undertaking to be given by the candidate mentioning that ‘the publications submitted by them are free from any plagiarism and if any plagiarism is found later, their candidature/selection shall stand rejected’.
25. As per the UGC communication dated 21st September 2016, “if the M.Phil/Ph.D. degree is awarded by a Foreign University, the Indian Institution considering such a degree shall refer the issue to a Standing Committee constituted by the concerned institution for the purpose of determining the equivalence of the degree awarded by the foreign University
(i) There is an application fee of Rs. 500/- from candidates belonging to General and OBC Category.
(ii) There is no application fee for SC/ST/PWD and Women candidates.
(iii) The candidates who have applied earlier for teaching position(s) with reference to Advt. No. RC/44/2012, RC/45/2013, RC/47/2014, RC/48/2014, RC/49/2014, RC/50/2015 & RC/55/2015 are required to apply afresh online. Those who fail to apply afresh will have no claim whatsoever for consideration for the post(s) applied earlier.
LAST DAY & TIME TO APPLY: 14th MARCH 2017 @ 05:30pm