SERB Overseas Visiting Doctoral Fellowship
Call for Applications: The application period will be open from 01st November 2023 until 02nd January 2024.
Objective: Applications for support to undertake research training during doctoral research in Overseas Universities on a competitive basis are sought from eligible researchers.
- To build national capacity in frontier areas of Science and Engineering, of interest to India, by providing research training to Ph.D. students admitted to Indian institutions in overseas universities/institutions of repute.
- To provide an opportunity for performing Indian research students to gain exposure and access to top-class research facilities in academia and labs in specific Overseas Universities.
- To create opportunities to build long-term R&D linkages and collaborations with accomplished scientists and technologists from around the world.
- To tap the expertise gained by these young scientists to strengthen/initiate national programs in their domain knowledge.
Eligibility: The scheme is open to Indian nationals only. The applicant should be registered for a full-time Ph.D. Degree in any recognized Institutions/Universities in India in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (including Medicine, Pharma, Agriculture, and related S&T areas) disciplines. Part-time and sponsored students are not considered under the Program. Also, students who have submitted their thesis for the award of theDegree of Ph.D. are not eligible to apply.
APPLICATION & SELECTION: Applications are invited from Ph.D. students to work with Overseas Institutions that have signed an Agreement/MoU with SERB for student mobility. The selection would be made among students who obtained an offer letter from an overseas institution to carry out research in chosen areas of interest to India.
The applicants who intend to undertake research visits to the following Universities with whom SERB had signed MoU should apply directly to the University:
- Purdue University, West Lafayette, USA
- Contact Person: Ms. Heidi Arola (harola[at]purdue[dot]edu), Director for Global Partnerships.
- More Details available at: Purdue University
- University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
- Contact Person: Ms. Nicole Dewart (uaissp[at]ualberta[dot]ca), Senior Coordinator, Sponsored Student Program
- More Details available at: University of Alberta
Fellowship and Other Components: The selected fellows will be paid a monthly fellowship amount equivalent to US $2000, one-time Contingency/Preparatory allowances of Rs. 60,000/- to cover visa fees, airport transfer charges, medical insurance, etc.
The selected fellows will also be provided the shortest route economy class airfare from their place of work in India to the place of the host institute and back. Students should make their arrangements for accommodation, etc.
One visit, each by the Indian supervisor to the Overseas Institution where the student is working and overseas faculty to the host Indian Institution of the student, is also admissible under the Scheme. The following provisions are made for them to undertake research visits:
- Both the Indian supervisor and overseas scientist will be provided the shortest route round-trip economy class airfare not exceeding Rs. 1.5 lakh per round trip from their place of work to the city of the host institute and back. Any additional cost would have to be borne by the visitors.
Per-diem (Subsistence Allowance):
Indian supervisors to Overseas Country
- Up-to 14 days: US $75 per day
- 14 and up-to 30 days: US $75 per day up-to 30 days
Overseas host to India
- Up-to 14 days: Rs. 3000/- per day
- 14 and up-to 30 days: Rs. 2000/- per day
Indian supervisors to Overseas Country
- Up-to 14 days: US $150 per day
- 14 and up-to 30 days: US $100 per day
Overseas host to India
- Up-to 14 days: Rs. 4500/- per day
- 14 and up-to 30 days: Rs. 3000/- per day
- Contingencies and Related Travel Cost: Allowance of US $250 per visit is provided to both Indian Supervisor and Overseas host to cover the expenditure incurred towards visa fees, travel/medical insurance, airport transfers, and other contingencies.
- The application for consideration under the Overseas Visiting Doctoral Fellowship Program (OVDF) can be submitted only when the call for application is made.
- The duration of the research training is up to a period of twelve months. In exceptional circumstances, the fellowship may be extended for six more months subject to performance evaluation.
- For scientists/researchers in regular employment, rules governing payment of salary, leave, medical, gratuity, GPF, and pension etc. of the organization/institution/university to which the faculty belongs would continue to be applicable. No liability on any of these accounts will be borne by SERB.
- The selected fellows while taking up the SERB overseas fellowship should not draw their regular research fellowship in India.
- The concerned University/SERB will provide the letter of support for the selected fellows.
- The exchange visit of the supervisors should be during the tenure of the Ph.D. work of the applicant. Both the supervisors should ensure a residency period of at least two weeks and not exceeding 30 days in their respective foreign institutes.
- The Indian Institution should ensure the availability of necessary facilities including scientific equipment, infrastructure, research personnel, etc. for facilitating the visit of overseas scientists for undertaking collaborative research. The institution should also extend all necessary administrative support to the proposed work.
Contact Person: The contact details of the Programme Officer at SERB are given below:
- Programme Coordinator, Overseas VDF, Science and Engineering Research Board 3rd & 4th Floor, Block II, Technology Bhavan, New Mehrauli Road, New Delhi-110016 Email: [email protected] Phone: 011 – 2655 2210, 011 – 2655 2135
Keywords: SERB Overseas Visiting Doctoral Fellowship, research training, Ph.D. students, overseas universities, capacity building, collaboration, frontier areas, Science and Engineering, Indian institutions. SERB Overseas Visiting Doctoral Fellowship. Please ensure you are subscribed to the Biotecnika Times Newsletter and our YouTube channel to be notified of the latest industry news. Follow us on social media like Twitter, Telegram, Facebook