Big Data Biology PG Diploma at IBAB-IIIT-Bangalore
Recent advances in high-throughput genomics, medical diagnostics, computational neuroscience, biopharma, medical and cellular imaging and related fields have led to the generation of massive data. This is posing a huge challenge to life scientists to handle such large datasets, analyse and interpret them.
INSTITUTE OF BIOINFORMATICS AND APPLIED BIOTECHNOLOGY (IBAB)
Biotech Park, Electronic City Phase 1, Bangalore 560100.
Call for Applications for a ‘PG Diploma in Big Data Biology’
(in collaboration with IIIT-Bangalore)
Supported by the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India.
- The advent of big data has impacted personalised medicine and healthcare service significantly in analysing Electronic Health Records and evidence based medicine. Efficient computing platforms and tools, sophisticated measurement technologies, cloud computing and artificial intelligence have transformed life sciences and healthcare by enabling unprecedented outcomes at the clinic. Realising the need for big data scientists and data engineers to handle the challenges in life sciences and medical data, the Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology (IBAB) is pleased to announce the launch of an innovative 1-year PG Diploma Programme in ‘Big Data Biology’ in collaboration with International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT-B), Bangalore.
- The interdisciplinary programme will help explore the opportunities and challenges of big data in biology, healthcare, medical imaging and will impart life science and engineering approaches to problem solving in this emerging area.
Unique Features of the Programme
- Interdisciplinary programme with courses that strengthen the computational, statistical and engineering components required to analyse large scale data in biology.
- Courses handled by faculty from IBAB, IIIT-Bangalore and industry experts.
- Integrated training experience involving coursework and projects relevant to industry and research.
- Comprehensive curriculum comprising diverse areas in data sciences – from imaging and image processing, genomics, clinical data analysis, development of machine learning models and algorithms.
- Extensive interaction with industry including mentoring by professionals from the industry.
- Curriculum with a blend of computing and life sciences that will open opportunities in diverse areas including health care, data science, genomics and clinical trials.
- 100% track record of placements of the two institutes and their capabilities to engage more with big data programmes.
- Record placements in the previous batches in leading industries with the highest salary of Rs 11.5 lakhs per annum.
Duration of the Programme – One year (12 months)
Age Limit – 35 years
Indian national with any of the following –
- B.E./B.Tech. or M.E./M.Tech. degree in Biotechnology/Bioinformatics /Biomedical Technology and other relevant branches of engineering and technology with a minimum of 60% in the qualifying examination.
- M.Sc. degree in Biotechnology/Bioinformatics/Biochemistry/Biomedical Technology/Life Sciences and other equivalent programmes with a minimum of 60% in the qualifying examination.
The funding for this programme is currently under the consideration of the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India. Students selected for the programme may be eligible to receive a scholarship, if approved by DBT.
Applications to the programme can be submitted online at
National level selection through a remote proctored (online) entrance examination followed by an online interview.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
All fees can be paid through cash, NEFT or by a Demand Draft (DD) drawn in favour of ‘Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology’ payable at Bengaluru. NEFT details are given below.
NEFT DETAILS –
Name of the Account – Institute of Bioinformatics & Applied Biotechnology
Account No – 036005011787
Type of Account – Current Account
Name of the Bank – ICICI
Bank Branch – Electronic City
IFSC Code – ICIC0000360
Number of seats – 25
Reservation for SC/ST/Physically Challenged candidates will be based on the norms of MHRD, Govt. of India.
- Application Start Date – 7 December 2021
- Deadline for Application – 7 January 2022
- Date of Online Entrance Examination – 16 January 2022
- Dates of Interviews (online) – 21-22 January 2022
- Announcement of Selected Candidates – 25 January 2022
Office of Admissions
Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology (IBAB)
Biotech Park, Electronic City Phase I, Bangalore 560100
Phone: 080 2852 8900/01/02.
The Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology (IBAB) is a unique institute engaged in education, research and entrepreneur support programmes and is based at Electronic City, Bengaluru. The Institute is an initiative of the Department of IT, BT and S&T, Government of Karnataka is situated in a 20-acre campus in Electronic City, Bangalore with excellent infrastructure, students’ hostel and other amenities. IBAB offers a distinctive Masters Degree programme with dual specialization in Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology and an interdisciplinary PhD Programme.
The Bio-IT research and training centre (Bio-IT Centre) was established at IBAB in
2010 under a public-private partnership with grant-in-aid from the DeITY, Government of India and Department of IT, BT and S&T, Government of Karnataka. The Bio-IT Centre has state- of-art facility for NGS with the high throughput sequencer Hi Seq 2500, Hi-Scan (Illumina bead-array) for genotyping and ion-torrent and other accessories such as Qubit, C-bot, Covaris and Tape-station etc. for processing DNA and RNA samples.
IBAB website: https://www.ibab.ac.in.
The International Institute of Information Technology, a Deemed University (IIIT-B) was established in 1999 with a vision to contribute to the IT world by focusing on education and research, entrepreneurship and innovation. The institute is a registered not-for-profit society funded jointly by the Government of Karnataka and the IT industry.
Since its inception, IIIT-B, with its unique model of education, research and industry interaction has grown to become an institution of considerable repute in academic as well as corporate circles. The graduate programmes at IIIT-B are among the best in the country, offering training oriented towards producing highly qualified practitioners and researchers. As an independent institution and a deemed university, IIIT-B collaborates with the IT industry, leading academic institutions abroad, eminent scientists and industry leaders to offer students the best possible education with their students being well received by industry, and placed with some of the leading companies in the field. IIIT-B can boast of 100% placement for all its graduates.
IIIT-B website: https://www.iiitb.ac.in
Editor’s Note: Big Data Biology PG Diploma at IBAB-IIIT-Bangalore. Please make sure that you are subscribed to the Biotecnika Times Newsletter and our YouTube channel to be notified of all of the latest in the industry. Follow us on all of our social media like Twitter, Telegram, Facebook and Instagram.