Prime Minister PhD Fellowship – PM Fellowship Notification
Notification for the Prime Minister PhD Fellowship has been released. Applicants can apply for it as it is an open-ended scheme. 100 Fellowships are up for grabs. Indian nationals are requested to check out all of the details with regards to eligibility, areas of research interest, application procedure and important dates all given below:
CALL FOR JOINT APPLICATIONS
DOCTORAL FELLOWS & INDUSTRY
PRIME MINISTER’S FELLOWSHIP SCHEME FOR DOCTORAL RESEARCH
A PPP Initiative of Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)
IN THE AREAS OF
SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENGINEERING, AGRICULTURE & MEDICINE
India is far behind many countries including China in terms of number of PhDs passing out
of Indian university system every year. This has many reasons. Indian industry’s investment in Research & Development, barring a few sectors like pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, is very poor compared to the global benchmark and they don’t recruit PhDs in large scale. On the other hand, the Government’s doctoral fellowship amount is not attractive and talented students tend to accept jobs than pursuing PhDs.
Government of India and Confederation of Indian industry have been very concerned about
this trend and explored an innovative model where talented students and industry will be
attracted to join hands in a process where doctoral fellows will get double fellowship amount and the industry will initiate a research project.
The scheme invites applications from doctoral fellows who are enrolled in any recognised
university and institutions in India in the current year and want to do industrial research,
should find an industry sponsor with whom the doctoral fellow will decide the research topic.
The sponsoring industry should agree to pay a matching amount to the Government
component, which can go up to a maximum of Rs. 6.1 lakhs per year (including 10%
management fee), for four years and be involved in the research project with the doctoral
fellow and the institution. This amount is subject to change as per the revisions in the
The scheme is currently designed to support 100 such fellowships in a year.
It was envisaged that this scheme would eventually impact on attracting a large number of
talented students pursuing PhDs and on changing the industry’s mindset in investing in R&D and recruiting more PhDs.
The First Call for Application was announced in November 2012 and within a month; more
than 200 applications from doctoral fellows and industry were received. A high-level Apex
Council chaired by Dr M K Bhan, Former Secretary of Department of Biotechnology,
selected 28 Fellowships.
The scheme has been made open-ended from the year 2014.
2. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA – WHO CAN APPLY
- One PhD scholar and one industry jointly should apply. Doctoral Fellow will be the
Applicant and industry will be Co-Applicant
- Research scholar should have taken admission in full-time PhD in last 14 months from
the date of submission of applications in any recognized Indian University / Institute /
Research Laboratory. In case of a different admission/enrollment date and registration
date, the first date of PhD admission will be considered.
- Research scholar should have an excellent academic track record
- Research scholar should obtain ‘No Objection’ from his / her Institution before applying
and will get a letter of commitment from the Head of the Institution
- Research scholar should have identified (before applying) an industry partner / co-applicant who should be ready to support the research project financially and also lend
technical and intellectual support. Doctoral Fellow will get a Letter of Commitment from
the industry partner before applying.
3. BROAD APPLICATION PROCESS FOR PRIME MINISTER PhD FELLOWSHIP
Applicant: PhD Scholar
- Get an in-principle approval from academic research guide and Head of the institution for applying for this Fellowship.
- Develop preliminary proposal for research based on the self’s qualification /
strength/skills aiming for a particular sector of industrial applications, in consultation with the academic research guide.
- Engage with some industry to explore the industry’s interest in the research proposal.
- Finalise the research proposal in consultation with industry and academic guide.
- Get a Letter of Commitment from Industry who will be ready to pay maximum Rs. 6.1 lakh per year (including 10% program management fee), for four years and be involved in the research project with the doctoral fellow and the institution. The amount of support varies according to the JRF / SRF slab of the candidate and the HRA slabs for the host institute.
- Get a letter of commitment from the Head of your institution that will be ready to allow you to work in the institute and in the premises of sponsoring industry, as and when needed and for joint (industry + institute) review of the progress of research
- Apply online for the PM Fellowship (Application Form enclosed in Annexure 1).
- Once selected, sign an agreement (Sample agreement enclosed in Annexure – 2) with sponsoring industry and your institution clearly defining the roles and responsibilities including sharing of Intellectual Property that may be generated as the outcome of the research.
- Execute the research project as per the mutually agreed process and timelines.
- Engage with doctoral fellows who will approach you, either directly or through CII, to explore a partnership with the doctoral fellow in his / her research project of your interest.
- In case, you already have a research assignment, you identify a capable doctoral fellow (from a recognised university/institution) who can conduct the research on your assignment during his / her PhD course.
- Finalise the research proposal in consultation with doctoral Fellow and his / her academic guide.
- Provide a Letter of Commitment to the doctoral fellow to pay maximum Rs. 6.1 lakh
per year (including 10% program management fee), for four years and to be involved in the research project with the doctoral fellow and the institution. The amount of support varies according to the JRF / SRF slab of the candidate and the HRA slabs for the host institute.
- Sign up application form jointly with doctoral fellow, online for the PM Fellowship
(Application Form enclosed in Annexure 1)
- Once selected, sign an agreement (Sample agreement enclosed in Annexure – 2) with doctoral fellow and his / her institution clearly defining the roles and responsibilities, including sharing of Intellectual Property that may be generated as the outcome of the research.
- Execute the research project as per the mutually agreed process and timelines.
4. SUBJECT AREAS IN WHICH APPLICATIONS ARE INVITED PRIME MINISTER PhD FELLOWSHIP
Applications with research proposals in the following broad areas are invited:
The proposed research should qualify on criteria of excellence and relevance and be
of technical and scientific merit.
The proposed research should have practical relevance and industrial application.
5. FELLOWSHIP FRAMEWORK
- Up to 100 Fellowships would be provided each year and the Fellowship will be paid from financial year April-March.
- The Fellowship amount will be up to Rs. 10.92 lakh per annum maximum per candidate. (Based on the current JRF/SRF slabs)
- 50% of the fellowship will come from SERB [being equivalent to the prevailing Government norms for JRF /SRF (inclusive of HRA)] of maximum Rs 6,00,600/- per
annum and will be revised as per the JRF/SRF norms from time to time.
- Rest 50% (the matching equivalent of SERB component) will come from the sponsoring
- The Government Component will be decided basis JRF & SRF slabs and no provision
of Research Associate (RA) is available under the scheme
- Duration of the Fellowships will be a maximum of four years leading to awarding of
- If selected to receive the Prime Minister’s Fellowship for Doctoral Research, the
the candidate will cease to receive any other scholarship/salary from any other organisation which he/she may be receiving at present
- If the partner company ceases to support a fellow during the committed 4 year time
period, the PM Fellowship will stand cancelled and the government support will also be
withdrawn from the time the industry support becomes unavailable.
HOW TO APPLY (Sample Application Form given as Annexure 1) FOR PRIME MINISTER PhD FELLOWSHIP
- Applications will be accepted only in online mode through the web portal
- All candidates are advised to register on this portal for the required matchmaking with
industry. Applications will be accepted only through this web portal.
- The scheme is open-ended and the scholars can apply anytime during the year subject to the condition that the research scholar should have taken admission in full-time PhD in last 14 months from the date of submission of applications in any recognized Indian University / Institute / Research Laboratory. In case of a different admission/enrollment date and registration date, the first date of PhD admission will be considered.
This scheme is not available for part-time research scholars.
- The evaluation and selection can take place more than once during the year, depending on the application volumes. Interim selection can be done as required if sufficient applications are received
- The updates on selection will be available online
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Prime Minister PhD Fellowship
Q. 1) How can I apply for this Prime Minister PhD Fellowship?
A) You can apply for this fellowship through the website www.primeministerfellowshipscheme.in.
Q. 2) What is the procedure for applying for the Prime Minister PhD Fellowship?
A) Following is a step-by-step guide for the application process:-
• Register as a student on the portal www.primeministerfellowshipscheme.in.
• Download the Call for Proposal and Document Checklist
• Tie up with a company and get the required undertakings signed from a valid signatory in the company as well as in the host institute
• Collect all documents and make digital copies of each
• Fill the application form online (the form cannot be downloaded and requires net connectivity while filling)
• Submit application
• Do not send any physical copy of the application/documents to CII
Q. 3) How does the online application work for Prime Minister PhD Fellowship?
A) Candidates need to refer to Annexure I in the Call for Proposal document which is
available on the home page of the portal www.primeministerfellowshipscheme.in. All
the required documents and details needed to be given should be collected before
filling the online application.
Q. 4) I had filled the application online but before I could click on the ‘Submit’ button, my net connection snapped and my application was lost. Will I need to fill it again?
A) Yes, if all data is lost you will need to fill the form again. However, this is unlikely if
you save your progress from time to time while filling up the form. A ‘Save’ option is
provided in the online form. You can use this option to save all data you may have
entered and can continue to fill the form later from the same step where you last left.
Q. 5) What is the timeline until which the application for Prime Minister PhD Fellowship can be submitted? Will an additional hard copy, stamped/signed of the application required to be sent to CII?
A) The scheme is open-ended and the scholars can apply anytime during the year subject to the condition that the research fellow should have taken admission in full-time PhD in last 14 months from the date of submission of applications in any recognized Indian University / Institute / Research Laboratory. In case of a different admission/enrollment date and registration date, the first date of PhD admission will be considered.
In case of any dispute regarding the submission date, the decision of the Apex Council will
be considered as final.
No hard copies of any kind need to be sent to CII; only soft copies are required to be
uploaded as indicated in the form.
Q. 6) What are the requisite details an applicant needs to fill-in?
A) Refer to Annexure I in Call for Proposal.
Q. 7) Can I apply if I do not have an industry partner? Will CII help in finding one?
A) Applications without industry partners will not be accepted by the online system.
Candidates have to find industry partners on their own. CII facilitates match-making
between research scholars and industry through the portal
www.primeministerfellowshipscheme.in. All those who want to search for industry
partners are requested to register themselves on this portal. Registration on this portal,
however, will not guarantee that the candidate will find an industry partner. The
relevance of their project for industry and the extent to which the candidate is able to
convey their capability to the industry will determine whether they will find industry
partners or not. The interested companies can evaluate the profile and contact the
applicants if they find the proposal relevant.
Q. 8) How can I find relevant industry partners?
A) Candidates should talk to their research guides at the institute and find out about
the relevant companies in that field. They can do their own research in and around
them to find out the right companies and approach them. Candidates should also keep
themselves abreast with the latest technologies, trends and companies working in their field. They should try to interact with industry people in their field as frequently as
possible to trigger idea thrashing about a particular project.
Q. 9) If an applicant submits the form, can it be submitted again?
A) Refer to point number 4 regarding saving progress. Candidates can review and rereview their forms any number of times before uploading them finally. Once uploaded,
however, the form cannot be submitted again.
Q. 10) If I apply this year and am not able to get the scholarship this time, will I
be allowed to apply next year for the Prime Minister PhD Fellowship?
A) Yes, you can apply as a fresh candidate with updated information, provided you
satisfy all the eligibility conditions.
Q. 11) Will applicants get automated response to submission? Will somebody
call from CII to confirm the receipt of the application?
A) Applicants will get an automatic response at the submission of applications. They
will not receive any calls from CII. In case you do not receive a system-generated
an email regarding the submission of their application within 24 hours, the applicant must
contact CII at [email protected] and cc: [email protected].
Q. 12) Which are the institutes where PM Fellows are doing their research?
A) Following are some of the institutes where PM Fellows are pursuing their PhD:
Acharya Nagarjuna University, Academy of Scientific & Innovative Research,
Alagappa University, Amity University, Anna University, Banaras Hindu University,
Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya, Hemchandracharya North Gujarat University,
Institute of Chemical Technology, Indian Institute of Engineering Science and
Technology, Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology, Indian Institute of
Science, Indian Institutes of Technology, IIT Bombay – Monash University Research
Academy, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Manipal University, National
Chemical Laboratory, National Institutes of Technology, PSG College, Punjab
Agricultural University, Saurashtra University, Savitribai Phule Pune University, Tamil
Nadu Agricultural University, Tata Memorial Hospital, Thiagarajar College of
Engineering and Kurukshetra University
Q. 12) Which are the companies who are supporting PM Fellows in their research?
A) Following are some of the companies who are supporting PM Fellows in their
Abellon Clean Energy Limited, Applied Materials Inc., Arche Biologics, Autosys Engineering (P) Limited, Beauscape Farms, Bharat Forge Limited, Cadila Pharmaceuticals Limited, CYMK Inks LLP, Eaton Corporation, Envian Engineers Private Limited, EON Electric Limited, Forbes Marshall Private Limited, G.E. Motors Private Limited, GE India Technology Center Private Limited, General Mills India Private Limited, Godrej & Boyce Manufacturing Company Limited, Google India Private Limited, Hoganas AB, HPCL, IBIDEN Co. Limited, Infosys Limited, Intel Corporation – USA, Intel Technology India Private Limited, Jai Bharath Gum &
Chemical Limited, Joegeetha Plastic Pipes, Kamineni Hospital Limited, K-Pack Systems Private Limited, Krish Biotech Research Private Limited, Maxim Crop Sciences Private Limited, Maxim Integrated – California, Microsoft Research, Morphing Machines Private Limited, NanoXpert Technologies, Natco Pharma Limited, NMDC, Nova-Surface Care Centre Private Limited, Nuziveedu Seeds Limited, Ozone Research and Application India Private Limited, P&G – Beijing, Persistent Systems Limited, Petrotech Society, Piramal Healthcare Limited, Prathista Industries Limited, Preca Solutions India Private Limited, Robert Bosch Engineering and Business Solutions Limited, Sahajanand Medical Technologies Private Limited, Sampurn Agri Ventures Private Limited, Shell India Markets Private Limited, Simco Global Technology & Systems Limited, Skymax Research & Regulations, Solar Agrotech
Private Limited, Sree Akzya Dyeing, Strand Life Sciences, Suyog Nirmiti, Talga Resources Limited, Tata Chemicals Limited, Tata Steel Limited, The Punjab State Cooperative Milk Producers Fed Limited (Milkfed Punjab), Thermax Limited, Trichy Distilleries & Chemicals Limited, United Phosphorus Limited, Vaata Infra Limited, Varsha Bioscience and Technology, Verdenta Hybrid Seeds Private Limited, Xerox India Limited and Zim Laboratories Limited
APPLICATION GUIDELINES PRIME MINISTER PhD FELLOWSHIP
Applications will only be accepted in an online format through the web portal
www.primeministerfellowshipscheme.in. Project Proposals will include both a technical
component and a plan of how the same will be executed. The technical, as well as the execution components, should describe the innovation, outline the proposed technical
approach and contain a research plan. The proposal will also provide a description of the
institutions and the industry and other participants along with detailed resumes of key
project personnel. Please refer to the following to get a better understanding of what will
be covered in the application form:
- The application process will be online.
- Applications with project proposals minus an industry partner will not be considered for
evaluation. Scholarships will be given only if there is an industry sponsor. There can
be two ways to get an industry to sponsor:
- The Fellow can approach a company and get it to sponsor him/her before applying.
- The industry can reach out to a Fellow and propose to sponsor his / her research and get the PhD Fellow to apply for the scheme.
- For each project, there will also be an industry mentor for the PhD Fellow who will be
the Co-supervisor / Co-guide.
- No overheads will be given to the institute where the full-time PhD Fellow will be
- Before the start of the Fellowship, the industry will be free to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement with the candidate and his / her institute, in view of the sharing of the company’s data and/or other resources by the candidate.
- Publication of Results: Successful candidates will be informed through emails. The list
of final candidates will also be put up on the website of SERB and CII.
Administrative and Legal requirements to be addressed by the Institute Partner,
Industry Partner and the Fellow under the Scheme while signing the Memorandum of
- Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) will be the implementing agency of the scheme. It will disburse the amount to the institute on a half-yearly basis and the institute, in turn, will pay to the research Fellow.
- The institute will disburse the scholarship to the candidate on a monthly basis.
- The company supporting the research and SERB will deposit the scholarship amount of four years per candidate with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) on a yearly basis.
- It will be the responsibility of the Fellow to get the MoU signed from institute and industry and send the copies for signing to CII. CII will keep one copy of the MoU and return three copies back to the candidate.
- Refer to Annexure-II for details of administrative and legal requirements for all
four parties as per the MoA.
12. SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS REQUIRED WITH APPLICATION FORM FOR PRIME MINISTER PhD FELLOWSHIP
- Undertaking from Research Supervisor and Head of the Organisation / Institute /
University as per format given in Application Form
- Undertaking from Industry Partner in the research project as per format given in Application Form
- Attested Copies of Certificates/degrees acquired by Fellow till date including PhD
- Profiles / CVs
- Academic Guide (with publication and research project details)
- Industry Mentor
- Partner Company
- Passport Size Picture
- Research Synopsis
- Uniqueness of the research proposition
- List of Applicant’s Publications
- Partner Company Balance Sheet
- Partner Company Cash flow statement (For SMEs and Start-ups)
IMPORTANT DATES FOR PRIME MINISTER PhD FELLOWSHIP:
|Last date of Online Submission of
Application Form for Prime Minister PhD Fellowship
|Anytime within 14 months from initial admission in PhD|
|Announcement of Results of Prime Minister PhD Fellowship||Updates on website|
|Signing of MoUs between PhD Fellows,
Industry and Institutes
|Within the time-period specified in the
|Release of Fellowship amount to
|From April (or Month specified in the
selection mail) of each year on a
View Notification, Annexures & Download Application Format From Below
Editor’s Note: Prime Minister Fellowship For Doctoral Research – 100 Fellowships, Prime Minister PhD Fellowship – PM Fellowship Notification, make sure you check out the Biotecnika Times Newsletter, Podcast and all of our social media platforms for the latest in the life sciences industry.