Commonwealth Scholarships For MSc & PhD 2019
The notification for the Commonwealth MSc & PhD Scholarships for full-time masters & doctoral study at a UK university form candidates from low and middle-income Commonwealth countries has been announced. Interested applicants can check out all of the details on eligibility, applcation and such below:
This call expires in :
No. F. 22-1/2018-ES.4
Government of India
Ministry of Human Resource Development
Department of Higher Education
Online application is invited from Indian national for ‘2019 COMMONWEALTH
SCHOLARSHIP TENABLE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM’ for pursuing Master’s & Doctoral
degree programme commencing from September/October 2019. The Scholarships are offered by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC), UK for the following Scholarships only:
- Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships (for low and middle income Commonwealth
- Commonwealth PhD Scholarships (for low and middle income Commonwealth countries)
The information in respect of the scholarship is available on the Commonwealth Scholarship
Commission’s website: http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/applicants/.
Number of nomination:
52 nominations would be made, out of which 13 nominations would be for PhD.
The specific terms and conditions in respect of Master’s and PhD scholarships are
available on the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission’s website at the following URL:
(i) The candidates who have received the offer of admission, from any of the
university listed with the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission is only eligible to apply. The list of the university may be found at URL: http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/ukuniversities/part-funding/
(ii) The applicant must be a permanent resident in India.
(iii) The applicant must be available to start his/her academic studies in the UK by the start
of the UK academic year in September/October 2019
(iv) The applicant must NOT be registered for a PhD, or an MPhil leading to a PhD, at a
UK university or India university or elsewhere before September/October 2019
(v) The applicant must not be able to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship.
(Candidates are compulsorily required to sign a declaration that they do not have access to
sufficient funds to study in the UK).
(vi) Candidates who have already been abroad for studies/training/ specialization either on
scholarships or on their own, for a period exceeding six months are eligible to apply, if they have been in India for at least two consecutive years as on 10th January, 019 after returning from abroad.
(i) For Master’s course:
One should have completed or is expected to complete the Bachelor Degree by October 2019. The academic qualification must have direct and applied relevance to the development theme selected by the candidate.
(ii) For PhD degree:
One should have completed or is expected to complete the Master Degree/Qualifying Exam, by October 2019. The academic qualification must have direct and applied relevance to the development theme selected by the candidate.
Level of course:-
(i) Master’s Course (one year)
(Note: Master Degree programs which are less than 2 years in duration, are not equivalent to Master Degree in India.)
(ii) Doctoral degree (up to three/four years’ duration)
Scholarship would be offered under following development themes and the
candidates who have taken admission in UK university must apply under one of
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity.
Selection and nomination:
- The candidates who have received an offer of admission from any participating universities must upload a copy of the same on the Ministry’s portal at the time of online application, failing which their candidature will not be considered.
- The system would automatically generate the subject/theme wise list of students along with the name of the University.
- In case, there are a number of students than the available nominations, in that scenario, ranking of the institution as per the ‘QS Ranking 2019’ would be taken to draw the merit list.
- The CSC is committed to administering and managing its scholarships and fellowships in a fair and transparent manner. For further information, see the CSC anti-fraud policy and the DFID guidance on reporting fraud available on CSC’s website at the following url:
CSC anti-fraud policy: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/csc-in-the-uk-anti-fraudpolicy-and-procedure
DFID guidance on reporting fraud:
- The Ministry’s anti-fraud policy is enclosed and may be seen as ANNEXURE-I.
- Candidates who do not possess the eligibility criteria need not apply.
- Canvassing in any form will be a disqualification.
- It is very important that applicants who are in employment to which they wish to return after completion of their studies in the UK should have an assurance from their organization that on the final selection by the CSC, they will be granted sufficient leave to complete the study. In general, a candidate undertaking research for a PhD can be expected to need 36/48 months’ study in the United Kingdom even though in the first instance, the award will only be offered for one or two years.
- All announcements will be made available on the website of the Ministry of Human Resource Development i.e. www.mhrd.gov.in/scholarships.
- The nominated candidates will be informed through e-mail and public notice on the Ministry’s website.
The best way to apply:
Candidates are required to apply online at the following portals:
- Ministry of Human Resource Development portal by 10th January 2019.
Link for online application: http://proposal.sakshat.ac.in/scholarship/
- Commonwealth Scholarship Commission’s Electronic Application System (EAS) by 19.12.2018 by 16:00 (GMT)
Link for EAS: https://fs29.formsite.com/m3nCYq/form62/form_login.html
- It is compulsory for the applicant to apply on both the portals before their cut-off dates, failing which would make his/her candidature ineligible.
- Sometimes the link does not open after the click or after copying to the address bar. You are required to type the link in the address bar to go to the link.
- For applying online to the Ministry of Human Resource Development:
- For applying to CSC trough EAS:
- 2018 Commonwealth Scholarship terms and conditions:Master’s: http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/terms-conditionsmasters-scholarships-low-and-middle-incomes-2019.docx-1.pdfPhD: http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/terms-conditionsphd-scholarships-low-middle-income-countries-2019.pdf
- The list of UK universities: http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/uk-universities/partfunding/
- Details of the CSC’s selection criteria:http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/selection-criteria-phdscholarships-low-middle-income-countries-2019.pdf
- Handbook for Commonwealth Scholars and Fellows at:
View Notification Below
Editor’s Note: Commonwealth MSc Scholarships, Commonwealth PhD Scholarships – Study at UK University, Commonwealth PhD Scholarships, middle income Commonwealth PhD Scholarships, full-time UK study Commonwealth PhD Scholarships. Check out the Biotecnika Times Newsletter for more such opportunities and also listen to our Podcast on SoundCloud which is free.