DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY (DST)
DST-DFG AWARDS FOR PARTICIPATION
IN THE 68th MEETING OF NOBEL LAUREATES & STUDENTS
Lindau, Germany during 24-29 June 2018 and
Visits to German Institutes during 30June to 6th July 2018
LAST DATE : NOVEMBER 30, 2017
Each year since 1951, Nobel Prize winners in Chemistry, Physics, Physiology or Medicine have been meeting in Lindau, Germany, to discuss major issues of importance to their fields with students from around the world. The meetings include lectures, panel/ round-table discussions on interdisciplinary topics and informal small- group meetings with the Nobel Prize winners. The DST has been sending a group of students / young researchers to these meetings, since 2001.
It intended to send a group of Indian Students /young researchers to the 68th Meeting of Nobel Laureates & Students during 24-29 June 2018, which is dedicated to Physiology & Medicine and related disciplines including all aspects of medicine or biology, biochemistry, cell biology and similar areas as well as any area of clinical medicine.The German Research Foundation (DFG) will be organizing visits to the German Research Institutes or Universities who are engaging the state of the art research and education in the above referred themes, during the Post Lindau week, i.e. during 30 June to 6th July 2018.
Applications are invited from bright and young students and researchers in the above disciplines for availing this award. The lectures and discussions are at a level appropriate for students/researchers in their early research careers. More details of the meeting can be seen at www.lindau-nobel.de
Terms of Award:
The selected participants will be provided with International travel related expenses, local transportation, lodging (twin-sharing basis) and boarding for attending the Meeting. It is mandatory for the selected students to attend the complete full week programme in Germany as well as briefing meeting in Delhi prior to departure to Germany. The Indian team of selected students shall leave for Lindau from Delhi (after briefing meeting) and shall return back to Delhi after the completion of the Nobel laureates meeting and the post Lindau Week. Personal or other visits by candidates to institutes other than the scheduled programme during the above period will not be entertained. The selected candidates will have to make their own arrangements for accommodation and transportation in Delhi for attending the briefing meeting at DST prior to the departure to Germany. The charges for accommodation in Delhi and 2nd AC train tickets from the nearest railway station from their places of residence to New Delhi and back will be reimbursed by DST on submission of the receipts/ train tickets as per the DST norms.
It is mandatory that the selected candidates should submit the reports on the Lindau meetings / DFG visits after completion of the programmes and any information document as and when required by DST within the time frame.
No escorts/ accompanying persons will be allowed with the participants and no request for personalized progamme during this period would be considered in any case. The applicants would also not be allowed to withdraw the nomination after selection.
i. Only Indian science students (by citizenship) studying/ working/ affiliated to research Institutes/ universities in India are eligible.
ii. Engineering /Tech. students are not eligible.
iii. Indian students studying and doing post-doc/internship/or staying in
Germany / abroad are also not eligible for this award.
There are three categories of participants to be nominated:
A. Master Students or MBBS
B. Doctoral Students or MS/MD ; and
C. Young Post-doctoral researcher below the age of 35 years
All selected participants shall-
- show a genuine interest in science and research
- show a strong commitment to their principal field of studies and to the
- receive strong support of their application by their academic advisor and/or by internationally renowned scientists, through a detailed letter of recommendations
- be fluent in English, capable of active participant in discussions
- belong to the top Three of their class in the order of merit
- not already have a permanent position (Scientist and researchers with
permanent/ regular position- particular at lecturer/ professor level (adhoc
and/or permanent) will, in general, not be admitted to the meetings)
- not older than 35 years of age as on 25 June 2018
- not have participated in the previous Lindau Meetings
- deliver fully completed applications to DST and after short listing by DST, the online application to Lindau website (incomplete applications shall be out right rejected)
- Commit themselves to being present for the full duration of the meeting
Additional eligibility requirements in each category are:
Category-A: Master Students, who
- exhibit a solid general knowledge in chemistry
- Have done some practical work and/or have laboratory experience
- Should be among top three in the order of merit in the class for 1st year of MSc or in 4th year of 5-year integrated master’s programme or final year of MBBS. Rank certificate from the Head of the Department is to be provided with application.
Category-B: Doctoral Students, who:
• Show excellent academic accomplishments
• have produced some very good research work
• Must have completed two years from the date of registration for Phd or
who completed MS/MD
• Should be among top three in the order of merit in M.Scor MS/MBBS
Category-C: Postdoctoral scientists, who:
• Have up-to 5 years of postdoctoral experience (optimum about 2-3 years after doctoral degree)
• Have published results ofown scientific research in refereed journals, preferentially as 1st author,
• Have presented their work at international scientific meetings, preferentially as lecture.
• Should be among top three in the order of merit in M.Sc/ MS/MBBS
A complete application consists of:
a) One complete set of original application duly forwarded by Head of the Institute,
in prescribed format (Annexure-I) along with one set of photo copies of the awards/certificates substantiating the information provided in the application duly attested.
b) At least one letter of reference from an academician or acquainted with the
c) Soft copy of the application form (without certificates) in ms-word or PDF format
only (Do not include scanned pages/ copies in the soft copy of the application, as signatures are not required in the soft copy), as email attached to email@example.com. The softcopy will be used only for the evaluation purpose.
d) However, applications received by post on or before the last date will only be considered.
e) Applications by hand at DST will not be entertained.
The hard copy of the complete applications must be submitted latest by 1700 Hrs on 30th November 2017 to:
International Bilateral Cooperation Division
R.No-1 TIFAC Building
Department of Science and Technology
Technology Bhawan, New Mehrauli Road, New Delhi-110016