NIT Rourkela Admission PhD 2023-24 – Applications Invited
NIT Rourkela Admission PhD 2023-24 – Applications Invited. Life Sciences, Biotechnology and Medical Engineering & Food Process Engineering Departments. Interested and eligible applicants can check out all of the details on the same below
Possible interview questions for successful PhD candidates are posted below
This call expires in
NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY ROURKELA
Notice for Admission to PhD Program
Commencing in Autumn (July) Semester of AY 2023-24
Applications are invited online from eligible candidates for admission to PhD Program of the Institute in the Autumn (July) Semester of the Academic Year 2023-24. Admission will be given preferably to the applicants who are eligible for an Institute fellowship or have qualified for an External fellowship. However, admission may also be considered without fellowship. Students with external fellowships like JRF-NET are especially encouraged to apply
|Sl||Name of the Department||Code||Indicative Broad Area of Research Available|
|1||Biotechnology and Medical
|BM||Medical Electronics & Instrumentation, Tissue
Engineering & Biomaterials, Cell & Molecular
Engineering, Bioprocess Engineering, Environmental
& Plant Biotechnology, Biomechanics & Bio-transport
|2||Food Process Engineering||FP||Transport Process & Kinetics, Food Quality and
Safety, Post- Harvest Operations, Food Packaging
and Storage Engineering, Product Development and
|3||Life Science||LS||All disciplines of Life Science|
B. Eligibility Criteria for PhD Program
The minimum qualification required for admission to PhD programs in Engineering, Science, Planning & Architecture, Management, and Humanities & Social Sciences is one of the following –
a) ME/MTech/MScEngg/MPharm/MArch/MPlan/MDes in relevant discipline with at least 6.5
CGPA or 60% marks or 1st class in both BE/BTech/BScEngg/MSc/BPharm/MCA/BArch/
BDes or equivalent, and ME/MTech/MScEngg/MPharm/ MArch/MPlan/MDes from a
recognized Technical Institute or University
b) BE/BTech/BScEngg/MSc/BPharm/MCA/BArch/BDes or equivalent in relevant discipline with CGPA of 7.0 or 65% marks.
c) MSc in Basic Sciences with CGPA 7.0 or 65% marks in relevant disciplines. For applicants
with a valid GATE/NET/GPAT or equivalent score, the requirement may be relaxed by a maximum of 0.5 CGPA or 5% marks.
d) MBBS/BVSc with CGPA 6.5 or 60% marks or 1st class.
Further, candidates having the following qualification can also apply for PhD in Management and Humanities & Social Sciences:
e) MA/MCom/MBA/MSc in Humanities and Social Sciences or Management or BTech with 6.5 CGPA or 60% marks or 1st class for PhD in Management, and Humanities and Social Sciences only.
In addition to the above eligibility criteria (based on BTech, BArch, MSc, MBA, MA, MCom, MTech, MArch, MPlan, MDes and MPharm, etc. examinations), the following additional criteria will also be applicable
a) A candidate should score a minimum of 6.5 CGPA or 60% marks or 1st class throughout career to be eligible for admission to the PhD programme. The Departmental Research Committee (DRC), however, may make exception (marks < 60% or CGPA < 6.5) at its discretion in only one among the results of 10th, +2, BA, BSc, BCom, Diploma etc. (except qualifying degree) if the candidate has qualified in GATE/NET/GPAT or other national-level fellowship tests like DST-INSPIRE, etc. or joined as JRF/SRF in any research project
b) For admission to Engineering and Science disciplines (except Life Science), a candidate
should have passed Mathematics in +2 Science or Diploma.
c) Science students admitted to the PhD programme in Engineering/Physics/ Mathematics must have passed Mathematics at +3 level. Students without Mathematics at +3 level may be admitted under the condition that they will have to register for 14 credits of 1000 and 2000 level Mathematics and 1000 level Computer Science courses (Theory and Practical) in
addition to their normal course requirement, and secure at least a C grade in each course
d) A student should have passed Life Science or Biological Science either at +2 or +3 level for admission to PhD in the Life Science department.
e) Students without having a qualifying degree in the primary discipline will be required to take up additional course work of 6 credits to gain adequate knowledge on the subject so as to be considered to qualify along with students with specialization in a primary discipline, unless explicitly exempted by the Senate. A list of primary disciplines for specializations under various departments is given in Clause “D” below
However, higher shortlisting criteria (possibly different for different departments and for different categories of students) may be set by the Department during scrutiny of applications depending on the departmental requirements, number and quality of applicants. Therefore, merely satisfying the minimum eligibility criteria does not guarantee a candidate to be called for an interview and also mere attending an interview does not guarantee admission.
C. Applicants Awaiting Results
a) For thesis-based Postgraduate degrees [(M. Tech. (Research), MS or equivalent], a student is permitted to submit the final result within one year from the date of thesis submission. However, one documentary piece of evidence (proof of thesis submission) from the candidate’s Institute/University is required to be submitted at the time of admission.
b) For all course-based degrees [B. Tech., M. Sc.., MBA, M. Tech. (Regular), etc.] results need to have been published before admission is granted. In exceptional cases when a university will not be in a position to publish result by the time of admission, submission of qualifying degree results may be permitted till 30th September, 2023 but not beyond.
D. Qualifying Degrees and Primary Disciplines for Admission
Different academic eligibility across the departments has been made considering the departmental requirement, availability of candidates in the respective departments and uniform growth of all departments in the Institute.
The onus of proving a Degree / Specialization / Discipline as equivalent with any of the above-mentioned Degree / Specialization / Discipline shall lie with the applicant claiming equivalency. However, the decision of the Institute shall be final and binding in this matter.
|Department||Academic Eligibility / Primary Disciplines|
|A Master’s degree in Engineering (any branch) / Medicine / Dental / Pharmacy /
Veterinary OR a bachelor’s degree in Engineering (any branch) / Medicine /
Dental / Pharmacy / Veterinary with valid GATE / NET / BET / GPAT score OR
a MSc degree in Biotechnology / Life Sciences / Physics / Chemistry / Allied
Sciences with 1st class in UG and PG degree with a valid GATE / NET / BET /
GPAT score or any National level eligibility test.
|B. Tech with MTech in Food Processing Engineering / Food Technology /
Agricultural Process Engineering / Post Harvest Engineering / Agricultural
Engineering or any other relevant branch of Engineering/Technology
|MSc in Life Sciences / Botany / Zoology / Microbiology / Biotechnology /
Biochemistry / Bioinformatics / MBBS / BVSc./ Bio-Physics / Food Science and
Technology, BTech / Integrated MTech / MTech in Biotechnology or any branch
of biological sciences, BPharm/MPharm, MS in any branch of biological
- Where the regular mode of education is available for any Degree/Qualification then
Degree/Qualification obtained through any modes other than regular mode, i.e. Distance
Learning, Correspondence courses, etc. will NOT be considered for the purpose of admission to the PhD program of the Institute.
- For the selection of research scholars in any engineering discipline, students with BTech degrees will be given preference over students with MSc degrees, even if the latter may have an MTech Degree.
- Students with any other relevant background may be eligible, but only with the approval of the Senate or Chairman, Senate on the recommendation of the Departmental Research Committee (DRC).
- There is no relaxation in the academic requirement for SC/ST/OBC/EWS/PWD students because the minimum academic requirements have been set to meet the basic challenges of the academic program. Also, the academic eligibility shall be the same across all studentship categories (Institute fellowship, External fellowship, Project fellowship, Sponsored, etc.).
- If the evaluation system is in grades, CGPA value will be considered and if the evaluation system is in marks, percentage value will be considered.
- Students of one discipline may seek admission in a related department which will be considered on the basis of the merit of the individual case(s).
- Selection will be made on the basis of academic record, the relevance of qualification, candidate’s research interest, existing research programs and facilities of the departments, and performance of the candidate in tests and/or interviews. Therefore, merely attending tests and/or an interview does not guarantee admission
Sponsored / Local Sponsored Candidates
The Institute welcomes candidates from reputed academic Institutes, Industry, R & D Institutions, and from Government organizations.
a) A sponsored candidate is expected to work full time in the Institute till completion of his/her program, or at least 3 years from beginning in the Institute. However, in deserving cases, if facilities exist at his/her place of employment and his/her job assignment matches the research problem, s/he may be permitted to work at the place of employment after satisfying the minimum residential requirement (normally 6 months to a year).
b) Local sponsored candidates (working in and around Rourkela having permanently nontransferable jobs) must have enough time and flexibility in their job assignment in order to continue the program applied for. Their working hours to be suitably adjusted in the sponsoring organization so that s/he can work on his/her studies at NIT Rourkela for at least 120 days and 500 hours per semester [25 days and 75 hours in case the scholar has a Co-Supervisor in his/her workplace, his research work is related to his work in the job place and the availability of an adequate research facility in the workplace]
c) Sponsored candidates must have completed at least two years of continuous service in the sponsoring organization, which must be an Institution of Repute employing a good number of engineering/science professionals. The completion of two years of continuous service shall be counted as of June 30, 2023.
d) Sponsored students are expected to serve their sponsoring organization on completion of their degree in NIT, for at least 3 years after completion of the academic program.
Sponsored candidates may apply for the PhD program of any discipline
Application Fee and Procedure
Interested candidates satisfying the eligibility criteria may submit their online application at
http://eapplication.nitrkl.ac.in. The applicants are advised to –
a) Read this advertisement and the instructions to fill up the online application form given in the online portal carefully,
b) Pay the non-refundable Application Fee of Rs. 500/- through SBI Collect only. No other mode of payment is acceptable. The applicants have to search SBI COLLECT -> ODISHA ->
EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION -> DIRECTOR NIT ROURKELA -> PhD APPLICATION
FEE. Note down the SB Collect Reference Number. Application fee once paid shall not be refunded under any circumstances.
c) Fill up the online application form and enter the SB Collect Reference Number in the
appropriate column of the Application Fee section and submit the same. In case one fails to
submit the SB Collect Reference Number in the appropriate column of the Application Fee section in the online application portal, his/her application will not be submitted and will not be considered a valid application.
d) Sponsored candidates are required to submit a scanned copy of the sponsorship
certificate while submitting an online application.
Applicants are NOT required to send a hard copy of the application form or any other document(s) to NIT Rourkela. However, candidates who will be called for an interview will be required to submit a signed copy of the application form, a set of photocopies of all certificates and an original Sponsorship Certificate (for Sponsored/Local Sponsored candidates only) at the time of interview. They also need to produce original certificates from HSC onwards for verification.
|Sl. No.||Event||Tentative Date|
|1.||The application form will be available on the Institute website
for online submission
|17.05.2023 (Wednesday) to
|2.||Publication of result of scrutiny in the website
|3.||Test and/ Interview (Venue – NIT, Rourkela)/online||30.06.2023 (Friday) and
|4.||Publication of the result of the Interview on the website||07.07.2023 (Friday)|
|5.||Admission||17.07.2023 (Monday) to
|6.||Semester Registration||24.07.2023 (Monday)|
|7.||Starting of Class / Research work||25.07.2023 (Tuesday)|
The list of selected candidates will be displayed on our Institute website www.nitrkl.ac.in and no postal intimation will be sent to the selected candidates. The applicants are required to visit the “Announcement” section in the “Home Page” of the Institute website regularly for further updates.
How to reach the Institute
Rourkela is located in the Howrah-Mumbai main Train route. Train connections are also available from Bhubaneswar and Ranchi. Night AC/Non-AC bus services are available from all major cities of Odisha (Bhubaneswar/Berhampur/Balasore, etc.). The Institute is located around 8 km. away from the Railway Station and 2 km away from Sector-3 Bus Stop. Usual rate of auto fare at present is Rs.150/- to Rs. 200/- and Rs. 100/- respectively. App based taxi services are also available in Rourkela.
For any queries mail to:- [email protected].
Check the notification below
Possible interview questions for successful PhD candidates:
- Can you explain your research interest and how it aligns with the available research areas in the department you applied for?
- Answer: My research interest revolves around [specific area], and I believe it aligns well with the available research areas in the department. For example, in the department of Biotechnology and Medical Engineering, my research interest in biomaterials and tissue engineering would contribute to the development of novel materials for medical applications.
- Describe your academic background and how it has prepared you for pursuing a PhD in your chosen field.
- Answer: I hold a [degree] in [field] from [university]. During my academic journey, I have gained a strong foundation in [specific subjects] and developed essential research skills through coursework and practical projects. This background has equipped me with the necessary knowledge and analytical abilities to undertake advanced research in my chosen field.
- Can you discuss any previous research projects or experiences that have contributed to your understanding of the research process?
- Answer: During my master’s program, I had the opportunity to work on a research project focused on [topic]. This project allowed me to apply theoretical concepts to real-world problems, conduct experiments, collect data, and analyze the results. It enhanced my understanding of the research process, including literature review, experimental design, data interpretation, and scientific writing.
- How do you plan to contribute to the research community and the department if admitted as a PhD candidate?
- Answer: If admitted, I aim to contribute to the research community by actively participating in conferences and publishing my findings in reputable journals. I also believe in fostering collaboration and knowledge-sharing within the department, and I would be eager to engage in interdisciplinary research initiatives and mentorship opportunities for fellow students.
- Could you outline your long-term career goals and explain how obtaining a PhD fits into your career trajectory?
- Answer: My long-term career goal is to pursue a career in academia as a researcher and educator. Obtaining a PhD is a crucial step towards achieving this goal as it provides the necessary expertise, research experience, and credibility to excel in the field. I am passionate about contributing to scientific advancements and mentoring future generations of researchers, and a PhD will enable me to make a meaningful impact in these areas.
Editor’s Note: NIT Rourkela Admission PhD 2023-24 – Applications Invited. NIT Rourkela Admission PhD 2023-24 Notification. NIT Rourkela Admission PhD 2023-24 Applications. NIT Rourkela Admission PhD 2023-24 Registration Form. NIT Rourkela Admission PhD 2023-24 Online Application. Please ensure you are subscribed to the Biotecnika Times Newsletter and our YouTube channel to be notified of the latest industry news. Follow us on social media like Twitter, Telegram, Facebook