EMBO Global Investigator Network 2022 – Applications Invited
The EMBO Global Investigator Network supports group leaders who, at the time of application, are within their first six years of setting up their laboratories in Chile, India, Singapore or Taiwan. Global Investigators receive financial support for four years for training and networking activities, providing them with opportunities to form collaborations with scientists in their region and in Europe. They become part of an international network of more than 600 current and former EMBO Young Investigators, Global Investigators and Installation Grantees.
This call expires in
Global Investigator Network
Supporting young group leaders in Chile, India, Singapore and Taiwan
Funds are available for EMBO Global Investigators for –
- Visiting other research institutions to give a scientific seminar or to plan or continue a collaboration
- Training in research leadership and management skills through EMBO Lab Leadership Courses
- Inviting researchers to give scientific lectures at their institute
- Sending members of their research group to another laboratory to carry out experiments or learn a technique
- Organising joint group meetings with other laboratories
- Attending or organizing regional or international scientific meetings
- Attending EMBO Young Investigator Network annual meetings
- Arranging lab retreats
- Covering fees for publications in EMBO Press journals
- Childcare support when attending conferences
- Manuscript and grant proposal editing services
- Professional development courses
Global Investigators are members of the EMBO Young Investigator Network, which also includes Young Investigators and Installation Grantees. Global Investigators are constantly provided with opportunities to meet and interact with their European counterparts.
However, since the aim of the programme is not only to support collaborations with European scientists but also to foster local exchanges and thus help create EMBO communities outside Europe, the benefits received by Global Investigators are not restricted to interactions with other EMBO programme members.
For detailed information on the benefits, please refer to the Programme Guide for Global Investigators.
Applicants must –
- Have been group leaders of a laboratory for at least one year and for less than six years on 1 January in the year of the application*
- Have an excellent track record
- Perform life science research in an EMBC Associate Member State (currently India and Singapore) or in a country or territory covered by a cooperation agreement with EMBC (currently Chile and Taiwan)
- Have published at least one senior author research paper in an international peer-reviewed journal from independent work carried out in their laboratory
- Have obtained sufficient funding to run their laboratory
- Not have applied to the programme more than once in previous years
- Be able to attend a virtual interview on 23 November 2022.
*Extended eligibility period may apply under exceptional circumstances or for candidates with children. For detailed information on the eligibility criteria, please consult the application guidelines.
Applications to the EMBO Global Investigator Network are accepted annually via an online system (which opens in early March 2022). The application includes an online form and an offline form.
Application process 2022
- The application deadline is 1 June, 14:00 CEST. After this, the Global Activities Office informs candidates whether their application has been successfully received.
- Applications of eligible candidates are sent to the EMBO Global Investigator Network Committee for screening.
- Pre-selected candidates are invited to a virtual panel interview conducted by the EMBO Global Investigator Network Committee on 23 November.
- A final decision is made at the EMBO Global Investigator Network Committee meeting, and candidates are informed of the outcome of their application by email.
The application for the Global Investigator Network consists of:
- Short summary of ongoing research
- Details of home institute and funding available to the laboratory
- List of publications and details of applicant’s three most important papers
- List of lab members
- Description of the applicant’s research plan
- Three letters of reference
For detailed information on the application process, key dates and required documentation, please consult the application guidelines.
Although a geographically balanced set of selected network members is desirable, the primary selection criterion is scientific excellence. Additional aspects considered by the EMBO Global Investigator Network Committee are:
- Proposed research
- Group and research environment
- Financial and intellectual independence.
For a detailed list of selection criteria, download the application guidelines.
The selection process involves the following steps:
- Application: The EMBO Global Investigator Network Committee selects a group of applicants for an online interview. The files of the selected applicants are sent to an EMBO Member with expertise in the candidate’s area of research for a confidential review.
- Interview: Candidates attend an online interview with a subset of the Global Investigator Network Committee, where they deliver a presentation summarizing their current results, projects and future directions, followed by discussion.
- Committee meeting: Following the interviews, the committee meets to make a final decision, and all candidates are informed by email of the outcome of their application.
In case of rejection, pre-selected candidates can request feedback from the committee on their written application and interview performance.
EMBO expects responsible conduct of research from its awardees. All research activities shall be carried out in compliance with fundamental ethical and research integrity principles. In line with our commitment to these initiatives, we require all members of the EMBO Global Investigator Network to complete a course on research integrity.
The application deadline is 1 June
Editor’s Note: EMBO Global Investigator Network 2022 – Applications Invited. Please make sure that you are subscribed to the Biotecnika Times Newsletter and our YouTube channel to be notified of all of the latest in the industry. Follow us on all of our social media like Twitter, Telegram, Facebook and Instagram.