KERALA STATE BIONTVERSITY BOARD
A statutory and autonomous body, Government cf Kerala
KERALA STATE BIODIVERSITY BOARD (KSBB) RESEARCH FELLOWSHIPS
Applications are invited for five Doctoral fellowships and one Post Doctoral Fellowship from eligible candidates who wish to do research in specific areas on conservation of Biodiversity in Kerala.
GUIDELINES FOR KSBB RESEARCH FELLOWSHIPS FOR DOCTORAL/ POST DOCTORAL PROGRAMMES
I. Post Doctoral Fellowship ( 1 no.) @ Rs. 20,000/month
Post Doctoral Fellowship @ Rs. 20,000/month will be given for eligible candidates who have acquired a Ph D degree in the area of Biodiversity conservation and with high quality research publications in reputed journals. The PDFs shall engage in full time research work in the relevant subject areas in an institution anywhere in Kerala other than the department or institute where the candidate has undergone Ph.D work.
- Candidate should be a Keralite by birth / domicile.
- Candidates should possess at the time of application, Ph.D in Life Sciences focusing
on Biodiversity Conservation from any University recognized by UGC as evidenced by
- Candidates should have published at least one research paper in a Science Citation
Indexed Journal (SCI- journal) or one national patent.
- Age should not be more than 40 years as on 1st January of the current year,
Candidates with commendable research experience in the field of Biodiversity
conservation will be given relaxation in age limit for a maximum period of 5 years.
There shall be no age bar to those candidates who shall apply for PDF within 2 years
from the date of award of PhD Degree.
Subject to approval from the Government, the selected Post Doctoral (PD) Fellow will be eligible for enhanced monthly rate of fellowship of Rs.32,000/- and an annual contingent grant of Rs.50,000/- and 10% H.R.A per month.
How to Apply :
1. Eligible candidates shall apply to KSBB in the prescribed form.
2. The application shall also contain (i) the research proposal not exceeding 1000 words, (ii) the consent letter from a recognized supervising teacher of the University to serve as mentor to the fellow (iii) the facility certificate by the head of the department concerned.(iv) Proof of Qualification and research experience.
3. The candidates shall as far as possible opt for mentors other than their respective supervisors at the doctoral level in allied areas of research/departments, s·o as to fortify diverse experiences.
Performance of tasks :
1. The post doctoral fellow shall engage in independent research, in collaboration with the mentor and shall be expected to produce at least one top class research publication .
2. Besides the monthly progress report, PDF shall submit at the end of the year or at any time the Board may require a comprehensive report of the work done during the entire period together with reprints of publications and inform KSBB about any achievements/patents during the tenure of post doctoral period.
The PD Fellowship shall be awarded for a period of one year and may be renewed on the basis of record of research work for a maximum period of one more year.
The PD Fellow shall not engage in any employment, either fulltime or part time, or avail any fellowship/stipend other than KSBB research fellowship during the tenure of Post Doctoral programme.
II. Doctoral Fellowship (5 nos.)@ Rs. 12,000/month
The Doctoral [email protected] Rs.12,000/month are offered for research leading to doctoral degree in specific areas on conservation of Biodiversity in Kerala.
Research Topics :
1. Below ground Biodiversity
2. Lower plant Biodiversity including fresh water algae
3. Marine Biodiversity
4. Biodiversity conservation
5. Effect of plantations on Ground water table
1. Candidate should be a Keralite by birth / domicile.
2. Age should not be more than 35 years as on 1st January 2017.
Essential: Masters Degree in Life science with at least 55% mark. SC/ST candidates will be given a relaxation of 5% marks in aggregate % of marks.
Desirable: MPhil in Life Science/ GATE/NET /Other Eligibility tests approved by UGC. Those who have already registered for PhD in any of the UGC recognized University Departments/ recognized research centers will be given preference, but the topic of research must be in specific areas on conservation of Biodiversity in Kerala.
Subject to approval from the Government, each selected candidate is eligible for an enhanced monthly rate of fellowship of Rs. 20,000/- during the first two years and Rs. 25,000/- in the third year and annual contingent grant of Rs. 20,000/-.
Performance of tasks
- The recipient of the fellowship if not already registered for PhD, shall register for PhD Programme in any one of the Universities/recognized research centres in Kerala, not later than six months after the award of fellowship, failing of which the fellowship will be cancelled.
- The research guide of the selected candidates, who are working outside KSBB, will have to submit a letter of consent to function as Guest Research Faculty at KSBB.
- The recipient of the KSBB fellowship during the tenure shall not avail any other fellowship and a declaration to this effect has to be submitted by the candidate countersigned by research guide and Head of Institution.
- The Doctoral fellows should submit a brief work report with remarks an ct approval by the research guide every month and at the end of the year or at any time the Board may require, a comprehensive report with the scientific details during the entire period for the receipt of subsequent fellowship amount.
- The Doctoral fellow shall complete the research programme within a period of three years. Extension if needed, has to be informed to KSBB through proper channel along with the reason of delay and the period of extension required. However, Fellowship will be provided for a maximum period of three years only.
- On completion of the tenure of fellowship the research fellow shall send detailed consolidated report of research work done during the entire period of fellowship along with statement of expenditure and Utilization certificate duly countersigned by the research guide and the Head of institution.
- The Doctoral fellow shall inform KSBB about the submission of Ph.D. thesis /publication of research finding arising out of the research during the tenure of the fellowship .. A copy of the thesis/publication shall be sent to the Board within one month of the award of the Ph. D degree/publication of the article.
General Rules :
1. The KSBB fellowships shall be purely on contract basis and he/she shall not be eligible for any service benefits.
2. KSBB shall release the monthly fellowship to research scholars either directly or by means of a crossed cheque by post.
3. Due acknowledgement of KSBB shall be given in all the publications emanating from the research work during the tenure of fellowship. A copy of the publication shall be sent to the Board within one month publication of the article.
4. No Research Fellow ( Doctoral & Post doctoral) shall discontinue his/her fellowship without prior approval of KSBB. In case he/she wishes to discontinue the fellowship prior to completion of the tenure, he/she must submit the resignation to the KSBB through the supervisor /Mentor and forwarded by the Head of the Institution, indicating specific reasons for discontinuing the fellowship. The fellowship shall cease from the date stipulated in the letter approving the resignation. The research fellows who thus withdrawn from fellowship shall send a detailed consolidated report of the research work done during the period of fellowship and audited financial statements to KSBB, within one month after accepting the resignation. Unsuccessful candidates/Defaulters/pragmatists are liable to pay penalty/ refund the fellowship already received by them as decided by the Board.
4. The Research Fellow alone is responsible for any adverse impacts resulted out of the research to society and KSBB is free from legal disputes due to that.
5. Application in prescribed format can be downloaded from website given below: www.keralabiodiversity.org
6. The duly filled application in prescribed format along with copies of relevant records should reach the undersigned directly or by post on or before 9th June 2017, 5.00 PM. Applications which are incomplete/ sent only as soft copy / not in prescribed proforma will be rejected without further intimation. The right to accept/reject an application will be vested solely with the Board.
Selection of Doctoral and Post Doctoral Fellows will be based on an interview conducted by an expert panel at the Head office of Kerala State Biodiversity Board, L- 14, Jai Nagar, Medical College P.O., Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala Ph: 0471-2554740. The date of interview will be informed to eligible candidates over telephone/email.
Result will be uploaded in the website www.keralabiodiversity.org
No TA/DA is permissible if called for the interview.