Dual PhD Programme 2021 at IIT Kharagpur-University of Manchester
Dual PhD Programme 2021 at IIT Kharagpur-University of Manchester. Interested and eligible applicants can check out all of the details on the same below:
This Call Expires In :
The Office of International Relations at IIT Kharagpur is happy to announce that the Institute has entered into a Dual PhD programme with the University of Manchester, UK. Applications are now invited for the Joint Degree Program for 17 approved projects (Click here to view the project details).
This is a time-bound PhD program that needs to be completed in 4 years. For the term starting in 2021, 5 positions with scholarships (including 3 further top-up scholarships from UniMan) are available for the program.
- For Indian nationals: B.Tech./M.Tech./M.Sc. graduates from any IIT or IISc with a minimum CGPA of 7.5/10.
- For the UK and other nationals: Bachelors or Masters graduates in science, engineering or related fields from a globally reputed university (with QS rank within 500) with minimum first class or equivalent, or minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
Note: For the term starting in 2021, applications are limited to Indian nationals or applicants who have the required visa to study in India starting July 2021.
Applicants can apply through the online portal. Only one application form is required in the initial stage. If selected, successful candidates may be required to submit other forms as necessary prior to registering for the project.
An applicant can choose to apply against only one of the offered projects.
The documents that would be required to be uploaded in the portal are:
- Academic Transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Research Interest-Max 750 words (you may contact the listed supervisors for your project to obtain more information)
- 2 recommendation letters
- Any photo identity proof (Passport / Aadhar Card / Voter ID / Student ID Card)
- Photo and Signature
The recruitment process will be jointly managed by the two Institutions and will involve two steps:
- Supervisors from both Institutions will evaluate applications for their respective projects and recommend the names of the top candidate(s)
- The Joint Programme Board involving members from IIT Kharagpur and the University of Manchester will select the 5 positions for scholarships based on the merit of both the candidate and the project.
You may find a list of factors to be considered during the selection process here .
The selected students must satisfy the proficiency test for the English language before being admitted to the Dual PhD programme. IELTS score of 6.5 or TOEFL iBT score of 90 (with no less than 20 in each component) is required.
The University of Manchester and IIT Kharagpur pride themselves on our commitment to fairness, inclusion and respect in everything we do. Applications are welcome from people of all backgrounds and identities. We encourage you to bring your whole self to work and study. We will ensure that your application is given full consideration without regard to your race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, nationality, disability, age, marital or pregnancy status, or socio-economic background.
Program Duration and time allocated between Institutions
The program is four years long. The time will be allocated as follows:
Year 1: Spent at IITKGP.
Coursework must be completed within the first two semesters. Preliminary research activity under joint supervision is initiated in the first year itself. Comprehensive Exam at IIT Kharagpur should be taken and cleared within the first 10 months.
Year 1 Milestone:Comprehensive Exam @IITKgp = First year/Continuation @ U Manchester
Note: If the candidate is unsuccessful after two attempts in the Comprehensive Exam, or if any course grade is D or lower, then the candidate will be asked to leave the program.
Year 2: Spent at Manchester.
Research work continues at the U of Manchester. Supervisor(s) at both ends continually monitor progress. Registration Seminar gave in Manchester.
Year 2 Milestone: First annual review @ UManchester = Registration seminar @IITKgp
Year 3.Spent at Kharagpur/Manchester.
Research continues. Supervisor(s) at both ends continually monitor progress. Enhancement Seminar given in Kharagpur.
Year 3 Milestone: Enhancement seminar @IIT Kgp = Second annual review @ UManchester
Year 4: Spent at Manchester/Kharagpur
The thesis work is completed. A synopsis seminar is given. The thesis is submitted to both Institutions and sent for examination as per each institution’s rules;
a) IITKGP sends thesis to Indian and Foreign Examiners. Both examiners submit report. If accepted, a defence seminar is conducted as per IITKGP rules in Manchester/Kgp depending on the student’s location. Otherside attends by video conference.
b) Evaluation and closed-door defence is conducted at Manchester as per University of Manchester rules.
Year 4 Milestone: Third annual review @ UManchester = Synopsis seminar @IITKgp
Closed-door defence @ UManchester AND Open Thesis defence @Kgp
Award of degree
If the student successfully defends the thesis as required by each institution, both institutions jointly award the doctoral degree. There will be two parchments – each will prominently mention the joint nature of the work and the partner institute’s name.
Student can walk the stage during convocation/commencement at either or both Institutions.
- Tuition: UManchester and IITKGP both waive/absorb their respective tuition fees.
- Stipend: IIT Kharagpur awards stipend at the prevailing JRF/SRF rates while the student is resident in its campus. The University of Manchester will make available competitive scholarship opportunities while the student is in residence at Manchester.
- For the term starting in 2021, the University of Manchester will be supporting 5 positions with full tuition waivers with 3 of them getting top-up scholarships.
Post-study work visa
As per prevailing rules of the UK and India.
Terms and Conditions:
To view the terms and conditions of the program, click here.
Application Window: 1st April – 23rd April 2021
Editor’s Note: Dual PhD Programme 2021 at IIT Kharagpur-University of Manchester. Please make sure that you are subscribed to the Biotecnika Times Newsletter and our YouTube channel to be notified of all of the latest in the industry. Follow us on all of our social media like Twitter, Telegram, Facebook and Instagram.