In-Demand Bioscience Careers / Jobs Post COVID-19
Humanity is observing one of the most disastrous crises, human history ever encountered. The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic is graver than the WW-II or Great Depression. The influence of this pandemic will certainly be felt even long after it has been totally removed from our planet. Lots of economies around the globe will sustain persistent suffering and many lives and resources will certainly be shed.
As the SARS-CoV-2 spreads, health professionals around the world are rushing to find a treatment against this virus, treat with the infected individuals, counsel the quarantined, discover the virus’s anomalies and anticipate its spread. The need for Biotech jobs has actually increased by many folds due to this pandemic.
Post COVID-19 pandemic, there will certainly be a significant boom in Biotechnology Careers / Jobs Post.
Now let’s see which are the in-Demand Bioscience Careers / Jobs post-pandemic.
1. Biomedical Engineering
The need for medical pieces like ventilators, masks, non-reusable gloves, safety glasses, etc has risen with the spread of COVID-19.
Biomedical engineering is an applied field of science and engineering at the intersection of medicine, engineering, biology, and healthcare. The focus of biomedical engineering is to establish systems, tools, and devices in order to find a solution to clinical concerns related to both diagnostics and therapies.
As per WHO, biomedical engineering has a vital role in effective healthcare delivery. Biomedical engineering has actually shown a remarkable capacity to overhaul health and wellness systems in resource-limited settings with enhancements in diagnosis and treatment.
This could be a great time to pursue a degree in Biomedical Engineering.
Job Profiles in Biomedical Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Biomaterials Developer
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Independent Consultant
- Biomedical Scientist/Researcher
- Rehabilitation Engineer
- Medical Technology Developer
- Quality Engineer
Top Colleges / Universities in India for Biomedical Engineering
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Technology, BHU-Varanasi
- Jadavpur University, West Bengal
- Anna University, Tamil Nadu
In order to identify transmission dynamics and at-risk populace, the testing of COVID-19 suspects has to be rapid and the number of testing requires to be raised. Diagnosis of COVID-19 needs developing easy-to-use diagnostics, innovative laboratory screening facilities, and trained employees.
Diagnostic testing services are experiencing an unprecedented rush in demand around the world in the middle of the coronavirus outbreak. Testing is critical for a suitable response to control the spread of this virus. It enables nations to know and take evidence-based steps to minimize the viral spread. Presently, there are not adequate COVID-19 tests to satisfy the need, hence producing new tests is urgently required.
Diagnostics is certainly among the crucial industries that are seeing development chances during the COVID-19. Both the in vivo as well as in vitro segments will certainly remain in need in the following months and years.
Job Profiles in Diagnostics
- Cardiovascular Technologist
- Clinical Laboratory Technologist
- Diagnostic Molecular Scientist
- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Nuclear Medicine Technologist
- Radiology Technician
The COVID-19 pandemic has made brutally clear the need for further research into many aspects of viruses. During this COVID-19 pandemic, scientists and researchers all over the world are working relentlessly to fight against this virus.
India’s first verified Coronavirus testing kit called Patho Detect was developed by virologist Minal Dakhave Bhosle and her team at Mylab Discovery Solutions, Pune.
Virology is another highly demanded bioscience career/job that will be of a virologist. Virologists play a great role in the advancement of vaccines or medicines.
Virology is the branch of science that deals with the study of viruses and virus-like agents and their taxonomy, cultivation, genetics, and disease-producing properties.
The working sectors for virologists include hospitals, diagnostic centers, pharmaceutical companies, research organizations, government agencies, food industries, agriculture, etc.
Job Profiles in Virology
- Research associate
- Laboratory manager
- Quality control officer
- Research assistants or technical assistants in laboratories
- Microbiologists (UG level)
- Principal investigator in a research institute
- Teaching position in a college or university
- Scientist in the R&D centers (Ph.D. level)
Top Colleges / Universities in India for Virology
- Amity Institute of Virology and Immunology, Noida
- Manipal University, Karnataka
- Savitribai Phule Pune University, Maharashtra
- National Institute of Virology, Pune
- Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati
Microbiologists playing a significant role in the fight against COVID-19, as a COVID-19 warrior their roles include Specimen collection and transportation, carrying out COVID-19 tests, Biomedical Waste Management, etc.
Microbiology overlaps the various other fields of biology such as molecular biology, genetics, and immunology.
Due to the involvement of microbiology in different fields such as Pharmacy, Medicine, clinical research, agriculture, dairy industry, water industry, nanotechnology, and chemical technology, the scope of Microbiology very much significant.
Years ago microbiologists used to work only in research labs. However, due to new recognition of the role of microbes on our earth, microbiologists now function in a range of contexts, consisting of food production, environmental science, medicine, etc.
Microbiologists work in sectors like Pharmaceutical Industries, Universities, Laboratories, Hospitals, Research Organizations, Food Industry, Beverage Industry, Chemical Industries, Agriculture Department, etc.
Job Profiles in Microbiology
- Research Assistant
- Food, Industrial or Environmental Microbiologists
- Quality Assurance Technologists
- Sales or Technical Representative
- Clinical and Veterinary Microbiologists
- Medical Technologists
- Biomedical Scientist
- Clinical Research Associate
- Food Technologist
- Scientific Laboratory Technician
- Physician Associate
- Research Scientist (life sciences)
Top Colleges / Universities in India for Microbiology
- Amity University
- Bharath University, Chennai
- Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
- Delhi University
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
5. Stem Cell Therapy and Regenerative Medicine
Several clinical trials have been registered using stem cells for COVID‐19 treatment as the use of stem cells for critically ill COVID‐19 patients in a small group of patients in China has shown positive results. This field has emerged as a candidate, with isolated successes across the globe aiming towards its potential.
In the past few years, the promising discoveries of mesenchymal stem cells, including their regenerative properties and capability to differentiate into different cell lineages have produced a terrific interest amongst scientists. Coronavirus causes breathing disease and in severe instances, it can bring about pneumonia.
Research studies in mice have shown that the anti-inflammatory effects of mesenchymal stem cells as well as their ability to lower virus-induced lung injury as well as fatality. Using MSCs in these studies has actually assisted in efficiently decreasing the degrees of inflammation as well as the number of inflammatory cells that enter the lungs after getting the disease like pneumonia, which might be useful in coronavirus infections.
Around 100 people in a health center in Beijing with COVID-19 infection had received mesenchymal stem cells to treat the infection. This was part of a clinical trial, many other clinical trials using stem cells are currently being carried out.
Job Profiles in Stem Cell Therapy and Regenerative Medicine
- Tissue engineer
- Stem cell biologist
Top Colleges / Universities in India for Stem Cell Therapy and Regenerative Medicine
- IISc, Bengaluru
- NCBS, Bengaluru
- NCCS, Pune
- NIRRH, Mumbai
- MIRM, Bengaluru
- CCMB, Hyderabad
- IIT, Madras
- NII, Delhi
- IISER, Mohali
- AIIMS, Delhi
In the post-COVID-19 time, Epidemiologists will certainly play a major role in preventing and controlling disease and such outbreaks in populations.
Epidemiology is the research study of the distribution and components of diseases in populaces. It is the crucial measurable discipline that underpins public health, which is frequently described as the organized efforts of society to prevent disease as well as promote health and wellness.
Epidemiologists deals with taking proper steps in improving the health conditions of the society and communities by educating them regarding different diseases and also adding them to recognize the preventive steps.
The work of molecular epidemiologists has actually garnered certain interest with the COVID-19 pandemic. Conventional epidemiologists keep track of when and where unwell people turn up. Molecular epidemiologists monitor the viral genes to track diseases. The SARS-CoV-2 carries its genes in RNA. As RNA viruses mutate at a specifically high rate, molecular epidemiologists are busy tracking the mutations in coronavirus.
Decisions like the number of days of lockdown and in what sort of periods are required to stop the spread of the virus come from epidemiologists and public health professionals. Because of such an important role they play, epidemiology will be one of the highly demanded bioscience careers.
Job Profiles in Epidemiology
- Survey researchers and statistician
- Community health workers
- Veterinary Epidemiologists
- Pharmaceutical epidemiologist
- Molecular Epidemiologist
- Disaster Epidemiologist
- Supervisory Epidemiologist
- Infection Control Epidemiologist
Top Colleges / Universities in India for Epidemiology
- SRM University
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science
- Padmashree School of Public Health
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Central University of Kerala, School of Medicine and Public Health
- Jawaharlal Nehru University- School of Social Sciences, Centre of Social Medicine and Community Health
- National Institute of Epidemiology
- MJRP College of Health Care and Allied Sciences
- National Institute of Communicable Diseases (NICD)
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS)
In dealing with pandemics like COVID-19, rapid response is going to be very significant and bioinformatics will play a key role in this.
Bioinformatics has actually been getting substantial appeal for rather a long period. This field has gained much more significance with the outbreak of COVID-19.
The usage of bioinformatics has actually been quite extensive, be it designing a particular synthetic vaccine epitope, comprehending the structure of the spike protein of Coronavirus, and exploring cell signaling pathways & pre-clinical medication discovery process.
Bioinformatics can be specified as the application of IT to study living things at the molecular level. It’s a multidisciplinary field that uses computation techniques to assess large collections of biological data.
Job Profiles in Bioinformatics
- Research Assistant
- Bioinformatics Scientist
- Bioinformatics Analyst
- Junior Research Fellow
- Research Associate
- Bioinformatics Software Developer
Top Colleges / Universities in India for Bioinformatics
- Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- Madurai Kamaraj University
- Bioinformatics Institute of India, Noida
- Bharati Vidyapeeth University, Pune
9. Hospital Administration
COVID-19 has brought everybody’s attention to the importance of healthcare. This increasing awareness about health will definitely result in a boom in the healthcare industry including Hospital Administration.
Hospitals as well as other medical care facilities play a vital duty in nationwide and regional responses to emergency situations, such as infectious disease epidemics. Healthcare professionals need to be shielded against COVID-19 to ensure that they can save others who are in the critical stages of diseases, making them one of the most demanded bioscience careers post COVID-19.
However, that deals with a lot of training for the hospital staff, as well as coping with a surge for the resources as well as designing appropriate containment strategies. It is a complex interplay between hospital administration and the government
along with the country’s population.
Hospital administrators coordinate with all departments within a hospital to make sure that they all function as a unit. Their proficiency is needed to carry out, plan, arrange, direct, as well as keep track of the results of medical and health services. Although the duty of a hospital administrator differs from one enterprise to others, their tasks usually include:
- Serving as intermediaries among controlling boards, medical staff, and heads of the department.
- Hiring, and examining registered nurses, physicians, and assistant managers.
- Coordinating, directing, controlling, and organizing with services as set forth by the hospital.
- Managing the production as well as the application of programs and plans for patient services, quality assurance, public relations outreach, and also department activities.
Hospital administrators should remain updated on laws and guidelines that influence the hospital.
Job profiles in Hospital Administration
- Hospital Business Manager
- Food & Beverage Manager
- Guest Relation Manager
- Hospital Administrator
- Floor Manager
- Centre Manager
- Patient Relation Executive
- Front Office Administrator
- Assistant Manager/Manager
- Operation Executive
Top Colleges / Universities in India for Hospital Administration
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences [AIIMS], Delhi
- Armed Forces Medical College [AMFC], Pune
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
- Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta
- The Tamil Nadu DR. M.G.R Medical University, Chennai
- Indian Institute of Health Management Research, Jaipur
- Apollo Institute of Hospital Administration, Hyderabad
- Tata Institute of Social Services, Mumbai
- Symbiosis Centre of Health Care, Pune
The role of pharmaceutical experts is likely to boost as the people are staying in the hospitals for a prolonged period in quarantine in Post COVID-19 scenario. The function as well as the importance of pharmaceutical experts will certainly enhance post-COVID-19.
The career prospects in the Pharma field is extremely high and is growing at a rapid rate. Pharmacology will definitely be a high Demand Bioscience Careers during and after the pandemic.
Job profiles in Pharmacology
- Drug Control Administrator
- Hospital Manager
- Food and Drug Administrator
- Health Centre Manager
- Drug Dispenser
- Pharmaceutical Marketing Representative
- Research Manager
- Health Inspector
- Chemical Analyst
- Drug Technician
- Drug Therapist
- Customs Officer
- Pharma Data Analyst
- Drug Inspector
- Hospital Drug Administrator
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Insurance Coder
- Regulatory Manager
Top Colleges / Universities in India for Pharmacology
- National Institute Of Pharmaceutical Education And Research – [NIPER], MOHALI
- Jamia Hamdard, Delhi
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani
- Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Udupi
Battling the coronavirus outbreak will certainly require a variety of scientific devices, from genetic sequencing to mathematical modeling, and for that, scientists require data.
Everybody in our society is eager to know the latest news about the Covid-19 pandemic, the numbers of newly infected persons, death rates, and other epidemiological facts. Biostatistics is among the In Demand Bioscience Careers. Biostatisticians carry out analytical evaluations of a wide variety of biology-related subjects. While working with a scientific group on research studies’ statistical design, they can assist establish the group’s needs and suitable techniques. They also can perform data analyses, assist with grant applications, and aid in analyzing the outcomes.
The study of biostatistics once was mostly focused on data evaluation however it has actually experienced significant growth with the increasing importance of computational methods to promote data acquisition, modeling, and prediction.
Top Colleges / Universities in India offering Biostatistics
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Himachal Pradesh University
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education
- Indian Statistical Institute (ISI), Kolkata
- Indian Statistical Institute (ISI), New Delhi
- IIT Bombay
- Dr. MGR Medical University
- University of Madras
- University of Pune
- University of Calcutta
The COVID-19 pandemic has actually motivated us to acknowledge the sensitive nature of our job choices, and how unique events may lead to a total turnaround. It is time for us to be realistic in our career decisions and should run in tandem with the career trends to follow in a post-COVID-19 era.
In-Demand Bioscience Careers / Jobs Post COVID-19