Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowships 2019-2020
Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowships 2019-2020 official notification is out. Indian nationals are encouraged to apply for the Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowships 2019-2020 in areas of Biosciences and Agricultural Sciences, as per the details that are given below:
This call expires in :
2019-2020 Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowships
The Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowships aim to provide Indian faculty, researchers, and professionals the opportunity to teach, conduct research, or carry out a combination of lecturing and research at a U.S. institution. Depending on the U.S. host institution, it is likely that the grantee may contribute towards developing curriculum and conducting workshops and seminars. These fellowships are for four to nine months. If you are applying for a Flex Award, the minimum length of the total grant is four months and the maximum is six months.
Applications are invited in the following fields only: Agricultural Sciences; Anthropology; Bioengineering; Climate Change Sciences; Computer Science (including, but not limited to, cyber security, digital economy, quantum computing, artificial intelligence, machine learning and big data analytics); Economics; Education Policy and Planning; Energy Studies; History; International Law; International Security and Strategic Studies; Materials Science (with emphasis on environmental applications); Mathematical Sciences; Neurosciences; Performing Arts; Physical Sciences; Public Health; Public Policy; Sociology; Urban and Regional Planning (with emphasis on smart cities and waste management); Visual Arts; and Women’s and Gender Studies.
Applicants must demonstrate the relevance of the proposed research to India and/or the U.S., its benefit to the applicant’s institution, the feasibility of accomplishing the research goal within the stipulated period, and the need to carry out the research in the U.S.
Indian academics and professionals contribute to the internationalization of the curriculum at their U.S. host institutions and the understanding of recent developments not just in India but globally. The recipient will be affiliated as a visiting scholar at a U.S. institution, and will teach courses individually or team-teach.
Lecturing applications are especially welcome.
Research and Lecturing
Applicants will carry out a combination of teaching and research activities at the U.S. host institution. Please specify the percentage of the grant for each activity and define this in your project statement. For instance, if you plan to spend 60% of your grant duration for research and 40% for teaching, your project statement should demonstrate this allocation. Teaching could include courses (individually or team-taught) or a series of seminars at the U.S. institution.
Flex Awards are designed for scholars who require multiple visits to the U.S. and for those who find it difficult to leave their home institutions during the academic year. This option allows grants to be conducted over short segments, preferably during the fall and/or spring semesters. Interested applicants should clearly indicate plans for Flex in their project statement, including a project timeline.
Flex grant parameters:
- Minimum length of the total grant is four months and the maximum is six months;
- The grant must have two segments. Minimum length for any grant segment is one month and the maximum is three months;
- Applicants may propose one-month segment only once;
- Grant segments may be spread over two consecutive years;
- Grants may begin any time from August 2019. Grants must begin by March 31, 2020;
- Grant activities must be completed by August 31, 2021; and
- Only offered for research grants.
No more than 25% of the total Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Awards will be considered for the Flex option. USIEF will consider up to six Flex Grants. A maximum of two round-trip economy class air tickets for the grantee only will be provided (one ticket per trip).
In addition to their research activities, Flex scholars agree to undertake activities recommended by USIEF, including: engaging with the host institution academic community, participating in seminars, giving public talks, and mentoring students. Applications that propose grant periods during the host institution’s academic year are preferred. Scholars who wish to visit the host institution outside of the academic year will need to demonstrate clearly how they will engage with the host institution community.
You will be affiliated to one U.S. host institution for your grant. USIEF strongly recommends all applicants to identify institutions with which they wish to be affiliated and to correspond, in advance, with potential host institutions. If you have secured a letter of invitation from a U.S. institution, please include it as a part of your online application.
The fellowships provide a J-1 visa support, a monthly stipend, Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges per U.S. Government guidelines, round-trip economy class air ticket (two round-trip economy class air tickets for Flex), a modest settling-in allowance, and a professional allowance. Subject to availability of funds, in case of grantees on eight or nine month grants, a dependent allowance and international travel may be provided for one accompanying eligible dependent provided the dependent is with the grantee in the U.S. for at least 80% of the grant period. Flex grantees are not eligible for dependent benefits.
In addition to the General Prerequisites:
- Faculty/researchers should have a Ph.D. degree or equivalent published work with at least five years of relevant teaching/research experience;
- professionals outside academe should have a master’s degree or equivalent published work with recognized professional standing and at least five years relevant experience;
- you should upload a recent significant publication (copy of paper/article) in your online application; and
- If employed, at the time of submitting the application, please follow the instructions carefully regarding Letter of Support from Home Institution. The employer must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period. Please obtain the endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority on the Letter of Support from Home Institution. You can download the Letter of Support from Home Institution from the USIEF website.
How to Apply:
- Applications must be submitted online at: https://iie.embark.com/apply/visitingscholars
- Please carefully review the FNAPE Applicant Instructions before starting your online application
- Please refer to FNAPE Applicant Checklist before submitting the application.
- In addition, you must complete and upload the following documents on your online applicaiton:
Application Due Date: July 16, 2018, 23:59:59 hrs (IST)
Timeline and Placement Process:
|July 16, 2018||Application due date for 2019-2020 awards|
|August 2018||Field-specific experts review applications to short-list candidates|
|End-October 2018||National interviews of short-listed candidates in Delhi|
|November 2018||USIEF notifies principal and alternate nominees that they are recommended|
|December 2018||USIEF forwards applications of recommended candidates to the U.S. for J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) approval and placement|
|March-April 2019||USIEF notifies finalists|
|August-September 2019||Program begins|
- You can apply for only ONE Fulbright-Nehru fellowship category during a competition cycle.
- Plagiarism in the application will lead to disqualification.
- Unless otherwise specified, Fulbright-Nehru applications are to be submitted online.
- Applications received after the deadline will NOT be considered.
- Extensions and transfers of visa sponsorship will not be permitted.
Editor’s Note : fullbright scholarships, fullbright fellowships, nehru fellowships, fullbright-nehru fellowships, fullbright-nehru fellowships 2019-2020, fulbright-nehru academic and professional excellence fellowships 2019-2020 notification. Check out the Biotecnika Times Newsletter for more such awesome opportunities and also follow us on FB and Twitter.