South Asian University PhD Biotechnology Admissions – 2018-19
MSc or MTech degree in any branch of the Biological Sciences or an MD/MS/MSc from an institution recognized by the government of any of the SAARC countries, with the minimum marks required are eligible to apply for the PhD Programme in Biotechnology offered at SAU. Check more details below:
This call expires in :
South Asian University (SAU) is an international university established by the governments of the eight member nations of the South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation (SAARC) viz., Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. The University, established with the aim of evolving a South Asian consciousness, offers Master’s and PhD level programmes in Economics, Computer Science, Biotechnology, Applied Mathematics, Sociology, International Relations and Legal Studies.
SAU attracts students from all member nations and its degrees are recognized by all the eight SAARC countries.
The University currently functions from its Akbar Bhawan campus in Chanakyapuri, New Delhi. It will eventually move to its 100-acre campus in Maidan Garhi, South Delhi, which is expected to be ready by the year 2019.
Admission to PhD programmes:
The following is a list of PhD programmes offered at SAU. The figures in brackets show the number of seats available in each programme.
Details about the faculty, admission procedure and the format of Entrance Tests can be accessed by clicking on appropriate links below:
|Faculty of Life Sciences & Biotechnology|
PhD in Biotechnology (8)
|Eligibility Criteria, Admission Procedure & Details of Entrance Test||Download|
- Applicants who have not completed their Master’s level course and are yet to appear for their last year/semester exam may also take the Entrance Test. However, their admission will be subject to their fulfilling the minimum eligibility criteria of aggregate percentage of marks at the Master’s level besides clearing the Entrance Test. Please note that such candidates will not have any claim to admission if their results are not declared and their mark sheets are not available latest by 26 July 2018 which is the last date for admission.
- The admission procedure for the PhD programme consists of an Entrance Test followed by an interview. Students are required to score at least 50% marks in both, the Entrance Test and the interview separately, to be eligible for admission.
- Travel Subsidy for Candidates Invited for Interview: Candidates invited for the interview will be given a travel subsidy (upper limit INR 5,000) towards actual travel cost by the shortest route as per instructions which will be communicated to those called for interview. If candidates from outside India are unable to travel to New Delhi for the interview, they can seek permission for an interview through Skype.
- The pre-PhD course work is compulsory for all students and is spread over the first two semesters and carries 16 credits as follows: course work (14 credits) plus seminar and term paper (2 credits). Distribution of credits between the first two semesters is decided by individual Departments / Faculties. Some Faculties and Departments may have a slightly higher credit requirement depending on their specific needs. Candidates are advised to carefully read Faculty and Department-specific requirements online.
- At the end of the first year, students with a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) less than 5.0 will be deemed to have failed and shall leave the university. There is no provision for a repeat test for improvement of grades in any pre-PhD course.
- Students with a CGPA of 6.5 and above will be considered for direct admission to the PhD programme as per SAU regulations. Candidates with a CGPA above 5.0 but less than 6.5 can opt for the MPhil programme and complete their thesis work within a year (8 Credits). If a student has obtained a CGPA of 6.5 or above in his/her course work, but wishes to pursue the MPhil programme rather than the PhD programme, s/he will be permitted to do so. Students with a CGPA of 6.5 or more in MPhil are also allowed to register for the PhD programme. Students with a CGPA less than 6.5 will leave the university with an MPhil degree.
- Minimum residency requirement for PhD is three years after admission.
Students pursuing a PhD degree at SAU are full-time students and are not permitted to take up full or part-time work during the residency period.
Deadline for receiving Application Forms: 20 March 2018
Country-Wise Quota of Seats:
The available seats in each programme will be divided as follows:
- Fifty per cent seats for Indian students and the remaining 50% seats for all other seven SAARC countries put together.
- Two merit lists will be prepared, one for Indian applicants and the other will be a combined merit list for the remaining SAARC countries. In view of the small number of seats available in each programme, seat reservation for individual countries is not possible
Scholarships & Freeships:
Read details here.
Application Fee, Date and Venues for the Entrance Test:
An Entrance Test will be conducted simultaneously throughout the SAARC region on 15 April 2018. The fee for appearing in the Entrance Test is US $10 or INR 650/-. Applications for admission will be accepted only online and payment must be made by credit/debit cards or net banking. Those who cannot pay the application fee online still need to fill and submit the online application form. They can then courier a bank draft for US$ 10 or INR 650/- drawn in favour of “South Asian University” payable at New Delhi to the Deputy Registrar Admissions, South Asian University, Akbar Bhawan, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110021, India. The bank draft must have the name of the candidate, application number and the programme applied for at the back of the bank draft. However, registration will be done only on receipt of the bank draft.
The following is a list of the main cities where the Entrance Test will be conducted:
- Kabul (Afghanistan)
- Chittagong and Dhaka (Bangladesh)
- Thimphu (Bhutan)
- Male (Maldives)
- Kathmandu (Nepal)
- Karachi and Lahore (Pakistan)
- Colombo (Sri Lanka)
- India (Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, New Delhi, Patna and Thiruvananthapuram).
Please indicate the centre of your choice while filling the application form.
The Entrance Tests will be held in two shifts on the same day at all the centres as shown below:
Morning Session : PhD in Biotechnology
A student can register for 2 or more courses but will be allowed to take the Entrance Test for 2 subjects at most, one in the morning session and one in the afternoon.
Application Deadline – 20th March 2018
Editor’s Note: Admission at South Asian University, SAU, PhD Admissions in Biotechnology at SAU – South Asian University, MSc candidates, MTech candidates, Biological sciences candidates can apply for the PhD Admission 2018-019, 2018-19 at sau. For more ph.d admission, phd admission, ph.d, phd application, phd application form,visit Biotecnika and also don’t forget to subscribe to our Free Newsletter.