Get Assured Opportunity for Research Career Under INSPIRE Faculty Scheme January 2018- Applications Invited
This call expires in :
Ministry of Science and Technology
Department of Science and Technology
INSPIRE Faculty Scheme: a component of “Assured Opportunity for Research Career (AORC)” under INSPIRE Call for Applications – January 2018 (Session – I)
Applications/Nominations for the session January-2018 are invited for INSPIRE Faculty Award. INSPIRE Faculty Award Scheme opens up an opportunity for research career for young researchers in the age group of 27-32 years. The upper age limit as on 01 January 2018 is 32 years for General Category and 35 years for SC and ST candidates only.
- Eligible candidates, either in Direct (A) or Nomination (B) mode, should apply only through online. Please visit the website: www.online-inspire.gov.in and follow the process prescribed therein. After submission of online application, the candidate must obtain a printout of the application thus submitted for their records only. The Last date of submission application ONLINE will be 28th February 2018.
- Use of more than one Mode shall call for rejection of application.
- Detailed Guidelines of the component are available at the Websites: www.inspire-dst.gov.in and www.online-inspire.gov.in.
14th Advertisement- 2018 (1) INSPIRE Faculty Scheme: a component under INSPIRE.
The Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, has launched the “Innovation in cience Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE)” [http://www.inspire-dst.gov.in] program in 2008. The program aims to attract talent for study of science and careers with research. INSPIRE includes many components. INSPIRE Faculty Scheme offers a contractual research awards to young achievers and opportunity for independent research in the near term and emerge as a future leader in the long term.
- Indian citizens and people of Indian origin including NRI/PIO status with PhD (in science, mathematics, engineering, pharmacy, medicine, and agriculture related subjects) from any recognized university in the world,
- Those who have submitted their PhD Theses and are awaiting award of the degree are also eligible. However, the award will be conveyed only after confirmation of the awarding the PhD degree.
- The upper age limit as on 1st January 2018 should be 32 years for considering support for a period of 5 years. However, for SC and ST candidates upper age limit will be 35 years.
- Publication(s) in highly reputed Journal demonstrating research potential of the candidate.
- Candidates who are employed in regular/contractual position within India may apply for
NSPIRE Faculty Award towards improvement and enhancement of his/her career
prospects but upon selection, the candidate needs to resign (no lien or deputation or any
type of leave would be accepted) from the current job and organization for the
implementation of INSPIRE Faculty Award.
- Candidates who are within top 1% at the School Leaving Examination, IIT-JEE rank, 1st Rank Holder either in graduation or post-graduation level university examination (which are used presently for identifying INSPIRE Scholars at under-graduate level and INSPIRE Fellows for doctoral degree)
Mode of Applications:
- Three routes i.e. Direct, Nomination and Institution mode are available for applying by the eligible candidates,
- Candidates, who intended to apply Direct or Nomination Mode, may apply online only. Application Formats with detailed guidelines are also available at the websites: www.inspire-dst.gov.in for information. To apply ONLINE, please visit the website: www.online-inspire.gov.in and follow the process prescribed therein. After successful submission through ONLINE, the candidate must obtain a print of the application thus submitted.
- Under `Institutions Mode’, candidates may directly approach reputed academic institutes and the host academic Institute shall be required to adopt their own internal process and mechanism as available before forwarding names of shot-listed candidates for final selection by the Apex Committee.
- Nominations from academic institutions or Industry R&D through Vice-Chancellors/ Directors of Institutions/ Head of Institutions/ Presidents and Fellows of Science Academies or Eminent Scientists from India and Abroad based on personal knowledge. Nominations to be sent to Indian National Science Academy (INSA), New Delhi.
- Eligible candidate who wishes to consider in “Direct” and “Nominated” route, may also send applications directly to Indian National Science Academy (INSA), New Delhi for consideration.
b) Mode of Application:
- Two routes i.e. Direct and Nomination mode are available for applying by the eligible
candidates. Candidates, who intend to apply Direct or Nomination mode, may apply only online. Detailed guidelines are available at the website: www.inspire-dst.gov.in for
information. To apply online, please visit the website: www.online-inspire.gov.in and follow the process prescribed therein. After submission of application through online, the
candidate may obtain a print of the application thus submitted for personal use only.
- Nominations can be from academic institutions or Industry R&D through Vice-Chancellors/ Directors of Institutions/ Head of Institutions/ Presidents and Fellows of Science Academies or Eminent Scientists from India and Abroad based on personal knowledge. Nominations need to be sent to Indian National Science Academy (INSA), New Delhi.
c) Method of Selection:
- A three-tier selection process i.e. Discipline-based Expert Committee in case of candidates under `Direct’ and `Nomination’ mode which is followed by selectin through the Apex Level Committee. Finally, INSPIRE Faculty Council selects the candidates in all two routes of selection modes.
- Indian National Science Academy (INSA), New Delhi in coordination with DST will be
implementing this INSPIRE Faculty Scheme up to the selection of candidates for awarding INSPIRE Faculty Award.
- Discipline-wise committees of INSA would evaluate and screen the candidates who apply on Direct and Nominated Routes without support from host-institutions.
- The Apex Committee shall finally select short-listed candidates for offering INSPIRE Faculty Award under this Scheme and decision of the Apex Committee for selecting candidates in this Scheme shall further be considered at the INSPIRE Faculty Council whose decision is final to offer INSPIRE Faculty Award.
- Candidates, who have not identified host institutions at the time of their application, should do so immediately after their final selection. All selected candidates should avail the INSPIRE Faculty Award within 3 months of their final selection.
d) Amount & Duration of each INSPIRE Faculty Award:
- Each selected INSPIRE Faculty shall be eligible to receive a consolidated amount equivalent to the scale of the Assistant Professor of an IIT as Fellowship amount. In addition, a Research Grant of Rs 7 lakh per year for 5 years shall also be provided to each successful candidate.
- The INSPIRE Faculty Award is for a maximum period of 5 (five) years.
- Each INSPIRE Faculty Awardee shall be regulated as per guidelines available at the
website: www.online-inspre.gov.in and www.inspire-dst.gov.in. Candidates need to visit the website and read the guidelines for reference before applying in INSPIRE Faculty Award scheme.
- n case the INSPIRE Faculty finds a permanent position during the tenure of the position,
the Fellowship amount shall be discontinued from the day the INSPIRE Faculty joins in
permanent position but he/she may continue with the INSPIRE Faculty Scheme availing
Research Grant for the remaining period to carry out research at the new position.
- The INSPIRE Faculty is eligible to apply for any competitive grants from funding agencies
during the tenure of the INSPIRE Faculty position and would be favorably considered by
DST for future support at the end of 5 years based on performance and technical merit.
e) Roles and requirements of Host Institutions:
- Host institutions should be encouraged to provide a congenial atmosphere for the awardees to excel in their work, and should view them as potential assets for faculty development.
- Under no circumstances the “INSPIRE Faculty” Award is renewable after 5 years. Host-institutions are expected to consider “INSPIRE Faculty” for permanent positions in due course, subject to meeting institutions’ performance assessment criteria.
- Under Nomination mode, In-breeding by host-institution is generally not encouraged.
However, in case host-institutions are willing to nominate their own PhD students under this Scheme, specific justifications and commitment for development of independent directions of research should be clearly delineated.
- Access to all common infrastructural facilities, acceptable laboratory and office space
(independently or on shared basis), computing, library access, etc.,
- Information on whether desirable new areas/directions of research are being introduced
through this scheme.
- Information on whether the INSPIRE Faculty will be allowed to supervise PhD students, hire research fellows, independently or jointly with a permanent faculty member.
Eligible students choosing ‘Direct Mode'(A) or ‘Nomination Mode (B)’ must apply online only in the prescribed format on or before 28 Feb, 2018.
Application Deadline – on or before 28 Feb, 2018.
Editor’s Note: For more such amazing opportunities, please make sure you are subscribed to the Biotecnika Times Newsletter and that you are following us on all of our social media profiles like Twitter and Facebook. For more on scholarships, research grants, scholarships in india, research grants in india, indian scholarships, please keep up with Biotecnika – India’s largest Biosciences portal.