TERI-SAS MSc Admissions 2019
The MSc programme in Plant Biotechnology was initiated in 2008. It was formulated with the objective of advancing education and research in the area of plant biotechnology with adequate attention to regulatory frameworks. The programme offers conceptual understanding by imparting cutting-edge disciplines of science along with a preliminary exposure to regulatory issues and ethical concerns related to plant biotechnology. Emphasis is laid on training in applied mathematics, statistics, and computational skills in view of the projected demand for a trained cadre adept at approaching biological problems in truly interdisciplinary and integrative manner. Courses have been specifically structured to impart concepts pertaining to advanced areas of research in plant genomics and contemporary approaches employed by molecular biologists. Therefore, a graduate of this programme can be expected to have both specialized knowledge and practical experience required to address contemporary problems in both academic and industrial settings.
This call expires in :
Admission Notification 2019
MSc Plant Biotechnology
Department of Biotechnology (DBT)
TERI School of Advanced Studies
The MSc. programme in Plant Biotechnology seeks to provide education and training, empower students with technical skill-set, create capacities and build career opportunities in three key domains of biotechnology namely: research and development, science education policy, regulations and management. Withits rigorous hands-on training in both laboratory-based methods, bioinformatics tools for biological research and constantly updated interdisciplinary curricula; the programme is expected to build rewarding careers in both public and private organizations for the graduate students.
- Students have qualified NET and won highly competitive national-level fellowships from DBT, CSIR, ICAR, UGC for pursuing research.
- Former MSc students are pursuing doctoral programmes in acclaimed international universities and research organizations (ICRISAT, Mexico; The John Innes Centre, Norwich, UK).
- Students have won awards for summer research fellowships by the Indian National Science Academies (INSA).
- Some of the former MSc students are placed as research scholars in prestigious institutions, such as Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs); International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), New Delhi; Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (IGIB), New Delhi; Translational Health Science and Technology Institute (THSTI), Gurgaon; National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Bangalore; Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCSAR), Bangalore; and University of Tennessee, Knoxville, USA.
The classroom lectures are complemented with extensive laboratory practicals, case studies, classroom discussions, and guest lectures by experts. During the fourth semester, students are involved in full-time research for their major project.
MSc Plant Biotechnology offers:
- Research oriented learning
- Intense hands-on training in Laboratories
- Training in data analysis and informatics
- Awareness of ethical & regulatory issues
DBT TERI SAS Research Groups:
Bioinformatics, Microbial Pathogenesis, Nanosciences, Plant Developmental Biology, Plant Molecular Breeding, Structural & Molecular Biology.
A Bachelor’s degree in Sciences/Engineering/Technology.
Admission to the MSc programme is made on the basis of a combined entrance examination followed by an interview conducted by the TERI SAS. Applications are invited from candidates on the basis of advertisements printed in leading newspapers. Details may also be gathered at the TERI SAS’s website <www.terisas.ac.in>.
Career prospects in:
- Research and development (academic & industrial sectors)
- Agri-genomics, bio-business & horticulture
- Industrial sectors & companies (Dairy, brewery, Pharmaceutics & seed)
- Forensics & Diagnostic Centres
- Regulatory & funding agencies,
- Law firms & knowledge processing offices (KPOs) for Intellectual Property (IP)
A placement cell has been formed for exploring placement opportunities for students. The
University facilitates placement of students in industry and suitable organizations, both for a major project and final placements.
Previous Employers, Biotech Companies, and Organizations for Internship:
CIMMYT, Mexico; John Innes Centre, Norwich, UK; University of Tennessee, USA; CIMAP,
Lucknow; NBRI, Lucknow; IITs (Delhi, Mumbai, Kharagpur, Kanpur, and Roorkee); Central Bureau of Investigation, Government of India, Delhi; National Institute of Plant and Genetic Resources, Government of India, Delhi; International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Delhi; International Rice Research Institute, Manila, Philippines; ICRISAT, Patancheru; National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health, Mumbai; National Institute for Immunology, Delhi; Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad; Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, Delhi; Defence Research & Development Organisation, Delhi; Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi; University of Delhi, Delhi; Delhi Technological University, Delhi; Lakshmikumaran and Sridharan Attorneys, Delhi; Lal, Lahiri and Malhotra, Delhi; Uttam Group of Institutions, Uttar Pradesh; Ingenious E-Brain Solutions, Gurgaon; TERI, Delhi; Department of Forest and Wildlife, Government of NCT of Delhi, Delhi; All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi; Innodata India Pvt. Ltd.; Translation Health Science & Technical Institute, Faridabad; YJ Trivedi & Co, Ahmedabad;
Department of Biotechnology Effectual Services; University of Hawaii; Texas Tech University, USA.
For further information, please contact:
Scan QR code for the weblink to Admissions 2019 – TERI SAS
View Brochures Below
Editor’s Note: MSc Plant Biotechnology 2019 Admissions at TERI School of Advanced Studies, TERI-SAS MSc Admissions 2019, MSc Plant Biotechnology Admissions 2019, TERI School of Advanced Studies 2019 MSc Admissions. Make sure you check out the Biotecnika Times Newsletter for more details.