Nirma University Admissions 2019
The Faculty of Doctoral Studies and Research is the co-ordinating faculty for the PhD programmes run by the constituent institutes of the University. The University offers Full-time and Part-Time PhD programmes. The Admissions in various PhD programmes is scheduled annually and the Announcement in the Newspapers/Website is also published.
This call expires in :
Ph.D. Programmes in Faculty of Technology & Engineering, Pharmacy, Management, Science and Law (Full-Time &Part-Time)
Post-Doctoral Programme in Faculty of Pharmacy
Nirma University started Doctoral Programmes in the year 2003. The PhD Programmes in the University are offered by the Faculty of Technology & Engineering, Faculty of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Management, Faculty of Law and Faculty of Architecture.
Eligibility Criteria: For Ph.D. (Full-Time & Part-Time Programme)
Candidates for admission to the. programme shall have a Master’s degree or a professional degree declared equivalent to the Master’s degree by the corresponding statutory regulatory body, with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) or an equivalent degree from a foreign educational Institution accredited by an Assessment and Accreditation Agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing, accrediting or assuring quality and standards of educational institutions..
Candidates possessing a Degree considered equivalent to M.Phil. Degree of an Indian Institution, from a Foreign Educational Institution accredited by an Assessment and Accreditation Agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing, accrediting or assuring quality and standards of educational institutions, shall be eligible for admission to Ph.D. programme.
Procedure for Admission
The University will decide on an annual basis through Faculty of Doctoral Studies & Research a predetermined and manageable number of Ph.D. scholars to be admitted depending on the number of available Research Supervisors and other academic and physical facilities available, keeping in mind the norms regarding the scholar- teacher ratio
The University will notify well in advance in the institutional website and through advertisement in at least two (2) national newspapers, of which at least one (1) shall be in the regional language, the number of seats for admission, subject/discipline-wise distribution of available seats, criteria for admission, procedure for admission and all other relevant information.
Candidates, who intend to take admission for Ph.D. have to apply in a prescribed proforma. On the receipt of applications, an entrance test will be conducted for the eligible candidates irrespective of number of applications received, which will be followed by an interview by a Departmental Research Committee consisting of the 1) Dean of the faculty concerned, 2) Head of the Department(s)/ Area 3) probable Research Supervisor , 4) domain external expert. The domain expert will be decided by the Dean concerned. The selection criterion for the admission in Ph.D programme are as under
- An Entrance Test shall be qualifying with qualifying marks as 50%. The syllabus of the Entrance Test shall consist of 50% of research methodology and 50% shall be subject specific.
- The list of candidates clearing the entrance test shall be declared on the notice board/ website of the University.
- An interview/viva-voce to be organized by the University when the candidates are required to discuss their research interest/area through a presentation before Department Research Committee specified under R.Ph.D 2.3.
- The candidates who qualify the UGC-NET (Including JRF) UGC-CSIR NET (Including JRF) SLET/ GATE/GPAT with a valid score in terms of cut-off marks and duration, teacher fellowship holder or who have passed M.Phil programme shall be exempted from appearing in the entrance test and deemed to be qualified for personal interview.
The interview/viva-voce shall also consider the following aspects, viz. whether:
- the candidate possesses the competence for the proposed research;
- the research work can be suitably undertaken at the Institution;
- the proposed area of research can contribute to new/additional knowledge. Final merit shall be based on the merit of interview/viva-voce
* Provided that for selection of candidates a weightage of 70% to the entrance test and 30% to the performance in the interview/ viva-voce shall be given.
(*Likely to be implemented this year subject to approval of competent authority of the University)
On the recommendation of the Departmental Research Committee and on the approval of Dean, Faculty of Doctoral Studies & Research the list of selected candidates will be displayed on the notice board / website of the University.
However, the final admission will be given after getting eligibility as per the provisions of the relevant regulations of the University.
The allocation of Research Supervisor for a selected research scholar shall be decided by the Department Research Committee depending on the number of scholars per Research Supervisor, the available specialization among the Supervisors and research interests of the scholars as indicated by them at the time of interview/viva voce
The University shall maintain the list of all the Ph.D. registered students on its website on year-wise basis. The list shall include the name of the registered candidate, topic of his research, name of his supervisor/co-supervisor, date of enrolment/registration.
Attendance Requirement : A research scholar, who is pursuing course-work as a part of his Ph. D. Programme, is expected to have full (100%) attendance in each course. However, a maximum of 30% attendance may be condoned by the Dean, Faculty of Doctoral Studies & Research for genuine reasons
Course work Requirement : The course work shall be treated as prerequisite for Ph.D. preparation. A minimum of four credits shall be assigned to one or more courses on Research Methodology, which could cover areas such as quantitative methods, computer applications, research ethics and review of published research in the relevant field, training, fieldwork, etc. Other courses shall be advanced level courses preparing the students for Ph.D. degree.
The Department where the scholar pursues his research shall prescribe the course(s) to him based on the recommendations of the Research Advisory Committee.
All candidates admitted to the Ph.D. programmes shall be required to complete the course work prescribed by the Department within initial two semesters.
However, if the student is not in a position to complete the course work in the prescribed time limit as above, due to genuine reasons, may file an appeal and on the recommendation of the RAC, the Director General may grant extension up to additional one semester. Failing to complete the course work in the extended period will lead to cancellation of admission.
The course work result including Research methodology course/s shall be finalized after a combined assessment by the Research Advisory Committee and the Area/ Department and the final marks shall be sent to the Ph.D Section for preparing the result within reasonable time but not beyond one month after submission of course work by the student at the department.
A Ph.D. scholar has to obtain a minimum of 55% of marks or its equivalent grade in the UGC 7-point scale in the course work in order to be eligible to continue in the programme and submit the thesis.
A Ph.D scholar has to obtain a minimum of C+ grade in each course and minimum CPI 6.00 in order to be eligible to continue in the programme. After successfully completing the course work, within three months, the Research scholar will be required to develop a comprehensive research proposal under the guidance of his/her Research Supervisor and will be examined by Research Advisory Committee (RAC) and on the recommendation of the committee, the final shape of the research proposal along with tentative title of the topic of research shall be decided.
Minor changes in the topic can be done by the Research Scholar on recommendations of Research Advisory Committee before submission of the synopsis
Research Advisory should be formed soon after the candidate is registered for the Ph.D programme. The Research Advisory Committee (RAC) consisting of Head of the Department, Research Supervisor-Convener of the Committee, Co-Research Supervisor, if any, and two experts to be nominated by the Director General, one of whom will be from outside the University will meet at least once in a semester and monitor the progress of the research scholar and, based on the suggestions of the committee, the research scholar will take follow-up actions. Functions of the Research Advisory Committee (RAC) shall have the following responsibilities:
- The Department where the scholar pursues his research shall prescribe the course(s) to him based on the recommendations of the Research Advisory Committee, of the research scholar.
- To review the research proposal and finalize the topic of research;
- Guide the research scholar to develop the study design and methodology of research and identify the course(s) for the course work that research scholar have to do.
- To periodically review and assist in the progress of the research work of the research scholar.
- In case the progress of the research scholar is unsatisfactory, the Research Advisory Committee shall record the reasons for the same and suggest corrective measures. If the research scholar fails to implement these corrective measures, the Research Advisory Committee may recommend to the Institution/College with specific reasons for cancellation of the registration of the research scholar.
The student is required to publish has at least one research paper in refereed journal and make two paper presentations in conferences/seminars before the submission of the thesis for evaluation and produce evidence for the same in the form of presentation certificates and/or reprints as per the UGC norms.
The thesis of all the Ph.D students who have submitted the thesis is sent to two referees for review One Indian Expert and One Foreign Expert. The final thesis before the announcement of the award of the Ph.D. degree .will be uploaded on the official website of UGC “Shodganga” through INFLIBNET.
How to Apply:
- The Application Form Processing Fee for the Ph.D. Programme is Rs. 1250/- (non-refundable). The application will be considered complete only after payment of the Application Form Processing Fee through online mode.
- The applicant who fulfills the necessary requirements can apply for the Ph.D. admissions in Full-Time, Part-Time, Part-Time (Visvesvaraya Scheme only for Technology & Engineering) or all the categories.
Those who are applying for all the three categories will have to pay the processing fee of Rs. 1250/- + Rs. 1250/-+1250/- = Total Rs. 3750/-
- List of Enclosures to be uploaded are as under:
- Qualifying examination mark-sheets/grade sheets, Certificate of Passing of Graduation and Master Degree
- Authenticated document showing conversion from CPI/CGPA to percentage, wherever applicable
- Certificate of UGC-NET/SLET (Including JRF) / Score Card of GATE with validity of duration and cut-off marks / Certificate of Teacher Fellowship Holder / Certificate of M.Phil. Programme
i) Experience Certificate, if applicable
ii) Certificate of Research Experience, if any
iii) No Objection Certificate from the present employer (applicable for the full-time sponsored
iv) No Objection Certificate and Infrastructural Support Certificate for conducting research from the
present employer (applicable for only the part-time candidates)
v) Tentative Research Proposal (including a tentative title, objectives of research, proposed
methodology, time –line, etc.)
vi) Copies of the technical papers published in refereed journals, if any1.
Deputy Registrar (Ph.D. Section)
1st Floor, Institute of Management
Nirma University, Sarkhej Gandhinagar Highway
Ahmedabad – 382 481
Ph: + 91-02717-241911-15
For the procedure of application and other details, please visit:
(Out of Full-Time students admitted, selected students are entitled for Scholarship.)
Nirma University, S. G. Highway, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
Last Date for Application: 05/05/2019
View Advert Below
Editor’s Note: nirma university admissions 2019, NIRMA University PhD admissions 2019, NIRMA university post-doctoral programme admissions 2019, Post-Doc Admissions 2019, Nirma University PhD & Post-doc Programme Admissions 2019, Nirma PhD Admissions 2019, Nirma Post-doc Admissions 2019. Check out the Biotecnika Times Newsletter for more details.