1. Admission into the Autumn Session of the PhD Programme and MPhil Programme of Gauhati University for the academic session 2017-18 (August 2017 to July 2018) is a two-tier process
The Central Application Process (CAP)
- Any person having a Postgraduate Degree of GU or from any recognised university or institute in a subject in the Faculties of Arts, Science, Commerce, Management, Law, Technology, Fine Arts, Engineering, and Medicine or other professional subjects of GU with not less than 55 (fifty five) percent of marks or equivalent grade in the concerned subject may apply for admission into the MPhil or PhD programmes in the subject in which the candidate has the Masters Degree or in an allied subject. The minimum marks for SC/ST/OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) candidates or a differently-abled candidate (with equal to or more than 40% disability) is 50% or equivalent grade.
- In case of Medical Sciences, the rules of Medical Council of India/Indian Nursing Council/Rehabilitation Council of India/ recommendation of Faculty of Medicine for Clinical Courses shall be followed (where necessary).
- An applicant who has an M.Ed. degree can apply for PhD programme in the Education Department for research on a topic related to Education, Education System, Curriculum, Teaching Methods, Educational Technology of the concerned subject, provided the applicant has a Masters Degree in the concerned subject. In such cases, the applicant will have to appear in the admission test (GU-RET), unless exempted, in the subject of the parent department and if admitted, the candidate will have to take a Co-Guide from the Education Department of GU.
- Students who have appeared or are appearing in their postgraduate final examinations may also apply for admission into the MPhil or PhD Programmes. However, such candidates will be required to furnish their results before the final selection list of successful applicants is prepared by the concerned department.
- An applicant who is in a service (either permanent or temporary or part-time) should have a “No Objection Certificate” from the employer before admission can be allowed.
- Prospective Student can apply for PhD or MPhil or both in the available disciplines. There will be ONLY one application.
- Majority of the subjects in which a student can do a PhD or MPhil at GU are closely linked to one or more departments. Student can select a maximum of two options to appear in the GU-RET in two disciplines.
- Application fee for applying into one discipline is Rs.750.00+Rs.60.00 (bank charge). Application fee for applying into two disciplines is Rs.1500.00+Rs.60.00 (bank charge).
- For admission eligibility, please click here.
- All applicants should pay the CAP fee after successful completion of the CAP. Without the remittance of this fee, Admit Card for GU-RET 2017 will not be issued. The fee should be paid through e-Challan facility of SBI (payable all over India).
Admission into the MPhil and PhD (Autumn Session) Programmes are available in the following departments. Probable vacancy positions are shown alongside for both MPhil and PhD. Please note that the vacancy positions are ONLY indicative. The exact positions will be known only at the time of counselling.
|Sl. No.||Disciplines||Vacancy PhD||Vacancy MPhil||GU-RET Paper Type|
|5.||Bioengineering & Technology||06||–||Option 2|
Different departments do offer fellowships to their PhD scholars under various schemes. For details, please contact individual department. To go to a departmental page, please click on the Disciplines link on the left pane. (On website)
Note that if a department offers a fellowship, it is ONLY after a scholar has been admitted. The fellowship is almost NEVER pre-awarded. The scholars might again have to go through a selection procedure for a fellowship.
An International Applicant is one who is not a domicile of India. An International Applicant is not required to appear in the GU-RET. The Counselling process for International Applicants can be carried out through other methods of available technology.
- You MUST have passed Masters level examination from a university / institute recognised by the UGC.
- You MUST have secured at least 55% or equivalent grade in your Masters examination.
- Qualifying Examination : For admission into the PhD Programme of GU, you MUST have passed a course which is equivalent to the two-year Masters Programme that we have here, which is usually taken after twelve (12) years of school and three (3) years of undergraduate course, completing a total of 15 years of education. That is, you MUST have had 17 years of formal education before you can be admitted into a PhD Programme. Though this may vary depending on different disciplines.
- An International Applicant will have to demonstrate proficiency in English either through standardized tests such as TOEFL, IELTS etc. or through a proven record of receiving education in the English language over a considerable length of time.
- While considering international applications, the DRC (or FRC) of the concerned department will take into consideration the merit of the research proposal, reference letters, and scores of standardized tests such as GRE.
- There is NO application fee for International Applicant. However an International Applicant MUST go through the CAP.
The CAP or Central Application Process will be available from 3 May, 2017 and will remain active till 13 May, 2017.
The GU-RET will be administered on Saturday, 3rd June, 2017.
For any information on MPhil & PhD (Autumn Session) Admissions 2017-18, you can contact us over email to : [email protected]