Synthetic Biology is the science of designing, building and using biological components towards practical applications. In the recent years, tremendous excitement and investment has been globally generated in this area leading to exciting novel ideas and expectations. The emerging Indian synthetic biology community is beginning to make its impact. In future, more successes will appear at the foundation and application levels. The need of the hour is to organize generate ideas and opportunities through outreach programs to develop novel ideas and applications.
1. awareness and capacity building in synthetic biology
2. integrating engineering approach for building standards in biology
3. generating socially useful applications in energy, food, health, environment
Here is a brief timeline of Synthetic Biology events organized in India so far.
2010: Biodesign India – The 1st Synthetic Biology conference in India, University of Kerala
2012: One day Synthetic Biology symposium held at JNU
2014: Indo US conference in Synthetic and Systems Biology, JNU (DBT & NSF Funded)
THE iGEM COMPETITION
The International Genetically Engineered Machine (iGEM) Foundation is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to education and competition, the advancement of synthetic biology, and the development of an open community and collaboration. The iGEM runs threemain programs: [a] iGEM Competition – an international competition for students interested in the field of synthetic biology
[b] Labs Program – a program for academic labs to use the same resources as the competition teams
[c] Registry of Standard Biological Parts – a growing collection of genetic parts use for building biological devices and systems.
The iGEM competition is an annual, world wide, synthetic biology event aimed at undergraduate university students, as well as high school and graduate students. Multidisciplinary teams work all summer long to build genetically engineered systems using standard biological parts called Biobricks. iGEM teams work inside and outside the lab, creating sophisticated projects that strive to create a positive contribution to their communities and the world.
To ensure regular iGEM participation of students from India, Department of Biotechnology (New Delhi) announces a new pre iGEM competition. Winners of this competition will be financially supported towards participation in the global iGEM event at Boston.
WHO CAN APPLY
The concepts may be received from undergraduate and postgraduate students with a Faculty Mentor from the same Institution. Though not mandatory, ideally the team should be formed of students affiliated to only one institute.
– Maximum of 5 member team, including a mentor with credible experience
– Proposal based on pre-existing iGEM parts
WHAT IS THE SHORTLISTING PROCESS
Short listed Teams will be invited for making presentation before Review Committee. Due consideration will be given to the non-obviousness and potential applications emerging from the proposed work.
Read ALL the guidelines before filling up the form
1. REGISTRATION IS FREE
2. This form must be filled up and signed by the Faculty Mentor
3. A maximum of 5 members are allowed per team
4. The Faculty mentor must have ALL the facilities to conduct the
5. The proposal must be based on pre existing iGEM components
6. Only those teams who have registered for iGEM 2016 are
eligible to apply
7. The faculty mentor must submit her/his CV highlighting
8. Submit proof of the registration for iGEM 2016, Boston
9. A maximum of Rs 10 lakh will be provided to the winning team
10. Last date for submitting Registration Form: April 01, 2016
11. Send the FORM and related documents to [email protected]
For PARTICIPATING in the pre iGEM 2016 competition,
DOWNLOAD THE FORM HERE
If you ONLY wish to ATTEND the pre iGEM / iBEC 2016 event
DOWNLOAD THE FORM HERE
- REGISTRATION IS FREE.
- Last date for submission of the form: April 15, 2016
- Please apply at the EARLIEST as limited seats are available.
- Send the FORM to [email protected]
For Program Information contact
Dr. Sangita Kasture Joint Director, Department of Biotechnology, M/o Sci & Tech, Govt. of India, New Delhi
email: [email protected]
Mar 01, 2016 Advertisement : Call for proposals
Apr 01, 2016 Closing date proposal submission
Apr 15, 2016 Closing date for online review
Apr 20, 2016 Finalists selected and informed
May 02, 2016 iBEC [tentative] Oct 27-31, 2016 iGEM, Boston
SUPPORT OFFERED TO THE TEAMS
Max. Rs 10 lakh per team (towards Registration, Travel & Consumables to prepare the project for iGEM).