Agricultural Biotechnology Career Prospects In India
Agritech or agricultural biotechnology is a discipline of agricultural science that comprises the utilization of scientific techniques and instruments like vaccines, animal health, synthetic chemistry, microbiome research, tissue culture, molecular diagnostics, genetic engineering, and molecular markers to modify microbes, plants, and animals.
Biotechnology boosts the competence of the breeders to make modifications in livestock and crops via the detection and improvement of specific genes. Biotechnology allows advancements that are not possible with the conventional method of crossing similar species alone. It is being applied in ameliorating crop yields, boosting plants’ resistance to drought, disease, & insects, improving milk production, preventing and curing animal disease, and devising more refined methods for processing foods. Agriculture is the pillar of the Indian economy. Since the agriculture sector is rising in the nation because of the soaring population, the need for trained adepts in the field is also burgeoning.
Career Prospects In Agricultural Biotechnology
The sector of agricultural biotechnology is transforming each day, providing countless career possibilities. Apart from employing individuals for research & development, the sector additionally serves different other fields related to agri-biotech like fishery, poultry farming, dairying, floriculture, and horticulture. Agriculture-oriented biotechnologies can even hone their academic expertise by working with post-harvest or food-processing technology or referred to as GM (Genetically Modified) technology.
- R&D (Research & Development): R&D is the process of uncovering new items and manufacturing them all the way to the market. Agricultural biotechnology is kept running by making new products to trade with these two processes.
- Process Development Scientist: Their motive is to boost the performance of manufacturing units, and implement the process controls to ensure that the products of good quality and are made in a reproducible way.
- Self-Employment: Freelancers can find jobs in agro-base industries, agriculture product shops, and agricultural companies.
- Agriculture Management: Adepts in this profession tend to work in either animal, crop, or dairy production. Their job comprises staff management, organization of related businesses, working machinery, organization of farm administration, and planning strategies/tactics for high yield.
- Agricultural Consultant: Agricultural advisers or consultants provide advice, solutions, and support to their clients to make sure that their business or enterprise is operating efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Industries: Major recruiters in industries are bioprocessing industries, chemical & pharmaceutical industries, and those involved in the processing & development of biological & agricultural products. There are plenty of job options in industries manufacturing textiles, healthcare products, cosmetics, and organizations involved in various kinds of industrial research & development.
- Product Development Scientist: These professionals are needed in the firm which produces things to control & understand the processes employed to produce the final commodity. They operate across the manufacturing industry, on items as varied as food, cosmetic paints, and medicines.
Steps To Build A Career In Agricultural Biotechnology
There are 2-year & 4-year degree programs in specialties like fisheries, dairy science, poultry science, plant science, agronomy, or animal science. Aspirants interested in plant science might study entomology, plant pathology, crop nutrition, and allied courses. Candidates interested in animal science might study animal physiology, nutrition, anatomy, and other courses associated with animal care & production.
A Master’s degree might be concentrated on a particular agricultural biology sub-discipline such as entomology or an interdisciplinary field that comprises two or more sub-disciplines such as weed science and plant pathology. Students for a master’s degree should have cleared a bachelor’s degree. Might need a thesis and in a few cases, need fieldwork.
3. Doctoral Degrees
Students prepare a program of study with their graduate group that comprises advanced fieldwork and courses. The time required to finish this program differs for each candidate. Dissertation and examinations prior to conferring the degree are common for doctoral candidates.
Universities For Agricultural Biotechnology
If you are targeting a rewarding career in the field of agricultural biotechnology, it is crucial that you complete your degree in a reputed university to procure maximum advantages in the form of good campus facilities and faculty.
1. Institutes In India
|Maharshi Dayanand University||Haryana|
|Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya||Chhattishgarh|
|Rajendra Agricultural University||Bihar|
|Chandra Shekhar Azad University of Agriculture & Technology||Uttar Pradesh|
|Andhra University||Andhra Pradesh|
|Acharya N. G. Ranga Agricultural University||Andhra Pradesh|
|Tamil Nadu Agricultural University||Tamil Nadu|
|Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth||Maharashtra|
|Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vidyapeeth||Maharashtra|
|University of Agricultural Sciences||Bangalore|
|Indian Institute of Agricultural Biotechnology||Jharkhand|
2. Institutes Abroad
|Szent Istvan University||Hungary|
|Seoul National University||South Korea|
|Washington State University||United States|
|University of Kentucky||United States|
Entrance Exams For Agricultural Biotechnology In India
- ICAR AIEEA (Indian Council of Agricultural Research All India Entrance Examination for Admission)
- Karnataka Common Entrance Test (KCET)
- Jharkhand Combined Entrance Competitive Examination (JCECE)
- Engineering, Agriculture & Medical Common Entrance Test (EAMCET)
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research Graduate School Admissions Exam
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
- Indian Institute Of Technology Joint Admissions Test (IIT JAM)
- JNU CEEB (Jawaharlal Nehru University Combined Biotechnology Entrance Exam)
Key Skills For Agricultural Biotechnology
Within agricultural biotechnology, there are few practical and primary skills needed for a good future in the long-term practicing time. Here are a few crucial skills needed in this sector:
- Time management & organization
- Hard work & focus
- Communication skills
- Being driven by curiosity
- Analytical skills
- Data analysis & research
- Problem-solving skills
- Argumentative & persuasive skills
- Passion for learning
Fellowship/Scholarship In Agricultural Biotechnology
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Undergraduate Scholarship Program (UGSP)
- K.C. Mahindra Education Trust Scholarship
- Fair & Lovely Foundation Scholarships
- Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education Research Scholarships
- British Chevening Scholarships
- Bharat Petroleum Scholarship
- A.M.M. Arunachalam–Lakshmi Achi Overseas Loan Scholarship
Major Employers Of Agricultural Biotechnologists
- Private/ Government Sector
- Agriculture production centres
- Cotton/jute/tobacco companies
- Coffee & rubber plantation
- Fertilizer companies
- Agriculture & rural development banks
- Research & development centers
- Tea gardens
- Pesticide control centres
- Academic institutes/universities/colleges/schools
Duties Of An Agricultural Biotechnologist
- Devise & screen land & environmental reclamation projects in agriculture and allied field.
- Offer advice & consultancy on issues associated with management of pollution, water quality, protection, and consumption of other water resources.
- Examines the environmental impact of rigorous agricultural production practices.
- Join a team and work with food and agricultural scientists.
- Use statistical theories and methods to address practical issues in the agricultural field
- Check agricultural equipment and machinery to assure their performance
- Devise food processing units and control manufacturing operations.
- Employ CAD (Computer-Aided Design) technology to design horticultural & agricultural equipment and components.
Top Agricultural Biotechnology Companies
Following the completion of a master’s or bachelor’s degree in agricultural biotechnology or allied fields, students can opt for different job options offered in this sector. Employers in this sector look for skilled and trained adepts with good research ability, practical knowledge, and so on. A few of the leading agricultural biotechnology companies in India are:
- National Agro-Industry
- Poabs Organic Estates
- Advanta Limited
- Lemken India Agro Equipments Private Limited
- Nuziveedu Seeds Limited
- Rallis India Limited
- DuPont India
Merits & Demerits Of An Agricultural Biotechnology Job
- A professional in the sector has many prospects and opportunities for procuring a job as agricultural biotechnology is a promising field.
- Adepts in this field get to work in labs which may be an attractive workspace for a few.
- It can be a rewarding career as the work and research of agricultural biotechnologies has the power to refine the quality of food crops and address worldwide food issues.
- There is a chance of exposure to hazardous and dangerous substances during the job.
- The salaries are average.
Scope Of The Agricultural Biotech Industry
With growing R&D initiatives in the agricultural biotech industry, the scope of a career in agricultural biotech has become enormous. Career possibilities are huge for good marketers with strong communication skills & sharp business acumen, good administrators, and people with strong scientific skills. Selecting the proper avenue is of chief importance.
Agricultural biotechnology institutes, Agricultural biotechnology job, Agricultural science career path, Agricultural biotechnology job, Agricultural biotechnology institutes, Agricultural Biotechnology Career In India, Agricultural biotechnology job, Agricultural science career path, Agricultural biotechnology job, Agricultural biotechnology institutes, Agricultural Biotechnology Career In India, Agricultural biotechnology job, Agricultural biotechnology institutes, Agricultural science career path, Agricultural Biotechnology Career In India, Agricultural science career path