DST Launches SERB-POWER Schemes For Women Scientists
Aiming to encourage and motivate esteemed and emerging women scientists and researchers to take up exploratory research activities in science and engineering, the SERB – POWER schemes was launched by Science and Technology Minister Harsh Vardhan. Under the Department of Science and Technology (DST), the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) is a statuary body established by an Act of the Parliament of India in 2009.
The research support is provided through two categories: SERB – POWER Fellowship and SERB – POWER Research Grants. Women researchers and scientists in research and academic institutions working in regular service can undertake the highest level of research and development activities under these schemes.
Under the SERB-Power Fellowship, eminent and best-performing women researchers are offered a personal fellowship and a research grant for a period of 3 years. Across all disciplines of Science & Technology, highly impactful research can be undertaken with funding ensured in the SERB – Power Research Grants scheme.
SERB – Power Fellowship:
- This Fellowship will identify and reward outstanding women researchers and innovators working in Indian academic institutions and R&D laboratories, holding a Ph.D.degree in any branch of science and engineering.
- The nominee should be an active scientist with an excellent record of research performance as an independent investigator or innovator.
- The nominee should be an Indian citizen between 33-55 years of age working in an institution in India.
- The nominee should not not be receiving any other fellowship from Government sources during the tenure.
Nature of Support and Duration:
- Fellowship of Rs. 15,000/- per month in addition to regular income.
- Research grant of Rs.10 Lakh per annum. Research grants can be used for minor equipment, manpower, consumables, contingencies, and domestic travel.
- Overheads for the host institute.
- Fellowship duration will be fixed for three years, without the possibility of extension.
- Successful POWER Fellows cannot be re-nominated for the second time
- Applications for POWER fellowships are invited normally for nominations. The nominations should be sent by the Heads of Institutions or Fellows of National Academies.
- The nominations will be received throughout the year online (www.serbonline.in)only.
- Selection of POWER Fellows will be made twice a year by a specially constituted Search-cum-Selection committee.
SERB – Power Research Grants:
This scheme aims to encourage emerging and eminent women researchers for individual-centric and competitive modes of research funding to undertake R&D activities in frontier areas of science and engineering. POWER Grants will empower women researchers by funding them under the following two categories:
- Level I: The scale of funding up to 60 Lakhs for three years.
- Level II: The scale of funding up to 30 Lakhs for three years.
Mechanisms of Identification:
The SERB-Core Research Grant(CRG) Platform will be used to identify and support women scientists under the POWER Research Grant component. Accordingly, proposals will be received through two streams:
- Stream 1: Direct Applications for POWER Grant(Online).
- Stream 2: Applications sourced from CRG Scheme(All PACs).
Women Researchers who have applied in the current cycle but not secured the funding under CRG will be considered in Stream 2 at an appropriate level (Level I & II). Women scientists who have applied in the CRG Scheme need not re-apply in any of the above streams.
- Applicants [Principal Investigator (PI) and Co-Principal Investigator(s)(Co-PI(s))] should be Indian citizens.
- The Applicant(s) must hold a regular academic/research position in a recognized academic institution or national laboratory or in any other recognized R&D institution in India.
- Applicants from IITs, IISERs, IISc, NITs, Central Universities, and National Labs of Central Government Institutions will be considered under the Level I category, whereas applicants from State Universities/Colleges and Private Academic Institutions should apply under the Level II category.
- POWER Grant will be regulated through terms of reference confirming to SERB-CRG guidelines.
- The selection will be based on the recommendations of the Program Advisory Committee (PAC) constituted by the Board. If required, the applicants may be called for discussion/presentation.
How To Apply Online:
For successful online submission of the application the following points may be noted:
- Applicant(s) should first register on the online website click here to register
- After log-in, the applicant(s) are required to fill all the mandatory fields in the Profile Detail section under User Profile. which includes Bio-data, Photo, Institute Address, etc.
- If you have CO-PI in your proposal then ensure that all the CO-PI’s are also registered into the system following the same procedure.
- Some of the details of your proposal like Project Title (max 500 characters), Project summary (max 3000 characters), Keywords (max 6), Objectives of the project (max 1500 characters), Expected output and outcome of the proposal (max 1500 characters), Budget (Manpower, Consumables, Travel, Equipment, Contingency, Overheads ) have to be entered at the time of proposal submission.
- Other relevant information on the proposal has to be uploaded in a single PDF file not more than 10 MB as other technical documents (OTD). Download Template
Mr. Vardhan highlighted the importance of empowering women researchers in the science and technology field while speaking at the virtual event. He mentioned that only 30% of the researchers globally are women while 18.6% of India’s full-time R&D workforce are women.
Mr. Vardhan said that women scientists can have special attention and alternate ways of a support system as they face problems like career breaks and interruptions particularly related to caregiving duties.
Mr. Harsh Vardhan added saying that the new Science Technology and Innovation Policy (STIP) 2020 will also highlight motivating women scientists and researchers.
DST Launches SERB-POWER Schemes Dedicated For Women Scientists, DST Launches SERB-POWER Schemes