Salary For MSc Biotechnology – What Should You Expect?
The million-dollar question, quite literally on all of our minds! Ever since time immemorial, the constant questions we ask are – Is there scope in Biotech? Can I get a good Salary after MSc Biotechnology? How much Salary should I Expect after postgraduate in Biotech?
If you are eager to find out the answer to these questions then continue reading on. But before we dive into the nitty-gritty, let’s familiarize ourselves with the current scenario.
As per reports, the Indian Government has projected that the Biotech Sector will be more than a $100 bn industry by 2025, and going by the current scenario and what the world is going through right now, this theory makes a lot of sense. We are in dire need of more investments in R&D, and the biotech sector is the way forward. Let’s make the best use of the opportunity that has been presented before us. Be part of the Biotech Boom that is going to happen in the coming years.
So now we have a quick overview of what lies ahead in the biotech sector, let us have a look at the different profiles that biotechnologists can apply for as detailed below:
Job Profiles for Biotechnologists:
Some avenues where Msc Biotech Candidates are hired are:
Food processing, bioprocessing industries, energy, waste management, environment control, agriculture sector, dairy sector, chemicals, textile industry, chemical industry public-funded laboratories, drug and pharmaceutical research, clinical research organizations, research institutions, and laboratories, etc. Basically you can apply to work in the private sector or the public sector.
Some entry-level job opportunities that an Msc Biotech Fresher can apply for are:
Analytical Chemist, Junior Scientist, Clinical Trial Coordinators, Clinical Research Associate Grade I, Clinical Trial administrators, QA Officers, QC Officer, QC Analysts, Laboratory Technician, Production Technician, Production Scientist, Process Technician, PV Officers, and Regulatory Affairs Associates and most importantly Junior Research Fellow, Research Scientist, Teaching Assistant, Technical Assistant, and Project assistant, etc.
With an increase in exposure and experience, you can move up in your career ladder for much more challenging and rewarding roles within the field you choose to pursue.
Now coming to the main focus of this article. So what can an MSc Biotechnology Postgraduate expect to earn at an entry-level as well as an experienced position? Salary For MSc Biotechnology?
Certain Factors That Determine Your Salary Just After Msc Are:
- The field you choose to work in
- Of course Your Marks in Your Masters to Some Extent
- The Company / Institute Where you are applying for the job
- The position you are applying for
- How you perform in the interview & other external factors.
Thus, there is no set salary that we can get, it all depends on the field and area that you have chosen to forge your career in.
Salary would entirely depend on the path that one chooses after the completion of an MSc.
Let’s begin with academia, right now we have to give a lot more importance to academia, we need to push for more research and development in India. We are the helm of a biotech boom. Capitalize on this opportunity and equip yourself to stay one step ahead of the competition.
In government organizations, Biotechnology postgraduates can initially expect a salary
- in the range of Rs. 10,000 to 20,000/month.
- If they can get a researcher position, the salary package would be Rs. 20,000 to 40,000/month based on the grade.
- If an individual cleared NET, they could get lectureship-oriented positions salary in the range of Rs.30,000 to 40,000/month.
Salary In Industries:
- In the pharmaceutical industry, Salary For MSc Biotechnology can be in the range of Rs.15,000 to 20,000/month.
- In bioprocess companies, they may get a salary of Rs.8000 to 16,000/month for the entry-level designations. The salary of an individual always varies based on skill and performance.
- If someone graduated from IIT they can expect high salary packages.
- Most of the biotechnologists after Msc get a job in companies like ITC, Merck & Co, Novartis, Genentech, Inc., Thermo Fisher Scientific, Pfizer, Bharat Biotech International, Biocon, ITC, Dabur, Ranbaxy, Thapar group, Hindustan Antibiotics, Biocon, Infosys, GAIL, ONGC, Wipro, BHEL, Johnson & Johnson, Ranbaxy, Cipla, Serum Institute of India, Panacea Biotec Ltd., Jubilant Life Sciences, Dr. Reddys and Unilever with high salary.
- Biotechnologists in the R&D industry can expect a salary in the range of Rs 1.9 – 6 lakh per year
- In pharmaceutical company salary, could be 2.0 -8 lakh per year, and
- In academics the salary in the range of 1.6 – 9 lakh per year.
Table of Salary Estimates Msc Biotech Can Expect In Bio-Pharma Industry:
|Junior Production Manager||Rs. 2.0 Lakh to 5.0 lakhs per year Approx|
|Production Supervisor||Rs. 3.0 Lakh to 7.0 lakhs per year|
|Production Manager||Rs. 3.4 Lakh to 9.0 lakhs per year|
|Junior Executive Assistant||Rs. 2.0 Lakh to 4.5 lakhs per year|
|Executive Officer||Rs. 2.2 Lakh to 6 lakhs per year|
|Manager Executive||Rs. 3.5 Lakh to 10 lakhs per year|
|Research Assistant||Rs 3 Lakh to 6 lakhs per year|
|Laboratory Technician||Rs. 2.0 Lakh – 4 lakh per year|
|Food and Drug Inspector||Rs. 2.5 Lakh – 10 lakh per year|
|Chemical Analyst||Rs. 2.6 Lakh – 9.5 lakh per year|
|Assistant Professor||Rs. 2.5 Lakh – 8 lakh per year|
|Junior Research Fellow||Rs. 2 Lakh – 5 lakh per year|
|Biochemist||Rs. 3.2 Lakh – 9 lakh per year|
|Scientist||Rs. 4 Lakh – 20 lakh per year|
This is the range of salaries that one can expect for a postgraduate in Biotechnology. It also depends on your experience.
So do not lose hope, as years pass by, you will gain experience and a leg up in the career ladder and you will eventually get eligible for higher pay.
We are right at the cusp of a fantastic time for Biotechnology, so make sure that you’re right there to grab the opportunities that will come knocking at your door.
Disclaimer: This article does not intend to alter the current salary range imposed by different biotech companies in India. Please note that all salary figures are approximations based on various online data. The minimum wage may differ by jurisdiction and will constantly change over time. It best that you consult the employer of a certain company or industry for the actual salary figures before getting hired.
Keyword: Salary For MSc Biotechnology