NISER PhD Program Admission 2020-2021 (Summer Session)
NISER PhD Program Admission 2020-2021 (Summer Session). Interested applicants can check details on the eligibility criteria, courses offered, application procedure, research areas, contact details and application link all given below:
This call expires in :
Update due to COVID-19
PhD Advertisement [2020 Summer Session]
Apply ONLINE (extended till 19 Apr 2020)
Notice for Admission to PhD Program: 2020-21 (Summer Session)
Applications are invited from Indian citizens for admission to the PhD program scheduled to commence from 28th July 2020 in the following schools of NISER, Bhubaneswar:
1. School of Biological Sciences (SBS)
2. School of Chemical Sciences (SCS)
3. School of Physical Sciences (SPS)
4. School of Humanities and Social Sciences (SHSS)
5. School of Computer Sciences (SCPS)
Biological Sciences Stream:
60 Percent or equivalent GPA in Experts or M.Tech or M. Pharm in any branches of Agricultural Sciences, Biology, Life Sciences, Pharmacy (any specialization), Veterinary Sciences, Computer Sciences, Bioinformatics and Biotechnology. Students with a Master’s degree in Physics, Chemistry or Mathematics with interest in pursuing a career in Biology are also encouraged to apply
The requirement of Qualifying in National Level Examinations for pursuing PhD
School of Biological Sciences: Candidates must have qualified at least one of the National Level Examinations i.e. CSIR-UGC-NET (LS or JRF)/ GATE/ JEST/ GPAT/ DBT/
ICMR/ JGEEBILS or any other equivalent national level examination valid for the academic
(a) The cut-off marks for national examination like GATE/JEST/GPAT/NBHM/JGEEBILS/CSIR-UGC-NET etc will be further determined by every School for the applicable subject area.
(b) Those who’ve appeared for CSIR-UGC-NET examination held in December 2019 and awaiting results may also apply. However such applicants, if shortlisted need to produce the qualifying mark statement of CSIR-UGC-NET (LS or JRF) exam on the date of PhD written test/interview failing that his/her candidature will be rejected automatically.
(c) As per HBNI Ordinance, student having INSPIRE Fellowship Doctoral Fellowship ONLY,
without qualifying any other national level written examination will not be considered for
admission to the PhD program in NISER.
(d) Candidates with GPA in qualifying degree may need to produce the conversion note (in
case it is not mentioned in their mark sheet) from their institution towards the calculation of percentage.
- The fellowship given by NISER is Rs. 31,000/for first two years, which will then be enhanced to Rs. 35,000/for remaining three years, subject to the condition which he/she fulfils all of the requirements of this Institute which will be specified from time to time.
- Students with an external fellowship from agencies viz. CSIR, UGC etc will be eligible to
draw fellowship as per the extant rules of the respective funding agencies.
School of Biological Sciences
- Regulation of cell adhesion and signalling in Helicobacter pylori-mediated gastric cancer progression. (Dr. Asima Bhattacharyya Lab)
- Molecular Genetics and Epigenetics of Ageing Disorders: Neurodegeneration and Cancer
(Dr. Debasmita P. Alone Lab)
- Understanding the Translational Control mechanism in Eukaryotes (Dr Pankaj V Alone Lab)
- Molecular Microbiology: Functional significance of membrane proteins and mechanisms
underlying bacterial persistence. (Dr Harapriya Mohapatra Lab)
- Cell based models for characterizing small molecules in the area of drug discovery (Dr V.
Badireenath Konkimalla Lab)
- Interaction of light and auxin in shaping development in plants; Role of splice variant of
constsns, CO like and GIGANTEA in the regulation of Florigen (Dr Kishore CS Panigrahi Lab)
- Molecular Genetics of Gallbladder cancer; putative angiogenic regulators and
tumorigenesis (Dr Manjusha Dixit Lab)
- Neuroendocrine regulation, Neural circuitry of energy balance and reproduction (Dr Praful S. Singru Lab)
- Cellular Regulation of morphogenesis and degradation of complex cell shapes (Dr Renjith Mathew Lab)
- Mechanism of membrane remodelling during host-pathogen interactions. (Dr Mohammed Saleem Lab)
NOTE: Only the above-mentioned labs have vacancies in SBS and the final number of vacancies filled will be the prerogative of the School.
For more information please visit: https://www.niser.ac.in/sbs/page/faculty-and-area-research
- The selection committee of the respective schools will short-list the candidates among those who meet the minimum educational qualifications and meet additional criteria that each school could set as deemed necessary.
- The short-listed candidates will be called for an interview, supplemented with a written test, if necessary, for the admission.
- Dependent on the academic record and also the performance of the candidates in the selection process, the selection committee of this school will recommend candidates to the Chairman, Academic Council for admission to the PhD program.
- All candidates known for the Test / Interview will be paid to and fro single, second-sleeper class railway fare by the shortest path from their location of residence to the Institute. They need to produce evidence (railway ticket) in support of the claim.
How to Apply:
- The application form needs to be filled up online at http://www.niser.ac.in and applicants ought to follow stepwise instructions cited completing the application submission procedure. In the time of application, along with this online form, the candidate should upload a soft copy of the supporting documents as per the eligibility criteria.
- Candidates intending to apply for more than 1 school must fill up online application forms for each school and submit separate forms with appropriate supporting documents.
- Two sealed letters of reference in the prescribed format with the signature of the referee on the envelope ought to be produced by the pupil at the time of interview. The copy of the reference letter can be obtained online.
- NISER Doesn’t require any application fee from the candidates that apply for the PhD program
- Online application will be activated on – 01.03.2019 (Sunday)
- Last date for filling up online application –
31.03.2020 (Tuesday)extended till 19 Apr 2020
- List of short-listed candidates will be uploaded on NISER website latest by – School of Biological Sciences – 15.04.2020 (Wednesday)
- Tentative dates for test/interview will be as follows:
School of Biological Sciences: 12.05.2020 – 14.05.2020
- Each school will send the call letters to the candidates separately. Kindly refer to this Site for the announcement of their chosen candidates.
- The registration is scheduled to be held on 24th July 2020 (Friday).
- In Case You Have any Additional query, kindly send an email to [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],[email protected], [email protected] for Biological Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Computer Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Mathematical Sciences and Physical Sciences respectively.
- Applicants are encouraged to visit the school web page to learn more about research activities.
Checklist for application submission:
During the online submission, you Will Have to have the following ready Together with you for uploading;
- JPEG file of your passport size photograph.
- JPEG file of your valid signatures.
- Birth Certificate/10th pass certification in support of a date of birth.
- Certification in support of category (SC/ST), just if applicable.
- Certification and indicate sheets in support of passing qualifying exam i.e Master’s degree. In case the original pass certification Isn’t issued by University then a certification In the University on its own letterhead with seal of the concerned authority certifying the Completion of degree ought to be submitted.
- Certificate/document in support of qualifying national level examination(s) viz. CSIRUGC NET/GATE/GPAT/DBT/ICMR/JEST/NBHM or some other as applicable.
- Candidates that have appeared CSIR-UGC-NET examination held in December 2019 and Are awaiting the outcome are needed to upload the CSIR-UGC-NET admit card in the Timing of submission of online application.
Address for communication and more details:
Faculty-In Charge (Academic Affairs),
National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER),
P.O.-Jatni, Dist-Khurda, Odisha-752050
Phone: 0674-2494013, Fax-0674-2494004
View Notification Below
Editor’s Note: NISER PhD Program Admission 2020-2021 (Summer Session). Please make sure that you are subscribed to the Biotecnika Times Newsletter and our YouTube channel to be notified of all of the latest in the industry. Follow us on all of our social media like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.