SERB Start-up Research Grant (SRG) 2020 – Rs. 30 Lakh Grant Value
SERB Start-up Research Grant (SRG) 2020 – Rs. 30 Lakh Grant Value. This grant enables researchers to initiate their career in a new research institute. The application portal will be going live soon, so keep this page bookmarked to enable you to apply for the same. Check out all of the detailed information on the eligiblity, application procedure and more below:
This Call Expires In :
The Start-up Research Grant (SRG) scheme aims to assist researchers to initiate their research career in a new institution. It is a two-year grant meant to enable researchers working in frontier areas of science and engineering to establish themselves and move on to the mainstream core research grant (CRG). Criteria for selection would be based on the track record of the applicant and the proposed research plan.
Nature & Duration of Support:
- Research grant of Rs. 30 lakh plus overheads for a period of two years.
- The research grant will cover equipment, manpower, consumables, travel and contingency apart from overheads. There is a standard cap for travel, contingency and overheads. The applicant has the flexibility to propose budget under various heads as per requirement.
- SRG would be a one-time career grant.
- A maximum number of grants awarded per year would be 500 across all subject areas.
- The applicant should be an Indian citizen. Foreign Nationals (including PIO, OCI) working as regular employee in any of the public-funded and recognized R&D laboratories/institutions in India are eligible to apply as PI in collaboration with an Indian Co-PI, provided they fulfil the eligibility criteria notified by SERB (SERB Funding Guidelines for foreign nationals dt. 27 Oct 2016).
- The applicant should hold a Ph.D. degree in Science or Engineering or M.D. / M.S. / M.D.S. / M.V.Sc. degree.
- The applicant must hold a regular academic/research position in a recognized academic institution or national laboratories or any other recognized R&D institutions.
- (1) Those who are appointed by the institutions against the ‘sanctioned’ post. Such positions are regularized/confirmed after the probation period is over
(2) Those who are appointed in a tenure post, but are likely to be renewed after the end of the tenure].
- The applicant is eligible to apply within two years of joining the institution.
- The upper age limit for SRG would be 42 years, with a relaxation of three years for SC/ST/OBC/ Physically challenged and women candidates.
- INSPIRE Faculty, Ramanujan and Ramalingaswamy Fellows, Faculties recruited through UGC Faculty Recharge Program are not eligible under SRG.
- Research Associates, Postdoctoral Fellows, Ad-hoc faculty, Guest faculty, Visiting Scientist, Consultant, Project Fellows and faculty members whose contract is renewed every year are not eligible under SRG. In respect of cases that are not mentioned above, SERB reserves the right to determine the eligibility.
- Co-PIs are not allowed except in case of foreign nationals.
- The applicant should not have received YSS, ECR, CRG (erstwhile EMR) or any other grant of SERB.
Mode of Application and Selection
- Call for applications will be notified through the websites www.serbonline.in and www.serb.gov.in. The application should be submitted online at www.serbonline.in
- Selection will be based on the recommendations of the Expert Committee constituted by the Board.
Termination and Transfer of the Project
- If any Principal Investigator (PI) wishes to terminate the project, they shall inform the SERB through the host institute immediately with proper justifications. The implementing institute should not incur any expenditure from the date of termination of the project or the date of resignation of PI. The institute must also arrange for the submission of relevant documents.
- SERB reserves the right to terminate the project at any stage if it is convinced that (i) appropriate progress is not being made (ii) the grant has not been utilized properly(iii) furnishing of false information or suppression of factual information.
- Projects sanctioned under SRG cannot be transferred to any other person/s.
- Transfer of approved/sanctioned SRG project to another institution will be considered only in the following cases: (i) From private/public/government institution to any other public/government institution (ii) General administrative transfers in government or public-funded institutions.
- Change of institute will not be considered in any other cases.
Proposals submitted need to be original and plagiarism in any form will not be acceptable. All submitted proposals would be subjected to a third party similarity check and proposals are liable to be rejected if found plagiarized. Any text taken verbatim from other source needs to be identified using quotation marks and proper reference. Applicants are requested to pre-check their proposals for plagiarism before uploading to avoid any serious repercussions at a later stage.
Scientific Social Responsibility
SERB has adopted Scientific Social Responsibility (SSR) Policy to imbibe a culture of social commitment among SERB Grantees. The policy intends to effectively utilize scientific infrastructure and expertise of SERB grantees to benefit other S&T stakeholders especially the less-endowed researchers and the society. SERB Grantees need to undertake some SSR activities during their project period. SSR activities need to be chosen after approval and depending on the activities chosen additional budget would be provided under the separate head to carry out the chosen activities.
How to apply online:
For online submission of the application the following points may be noted:
- Applicants should first register inSERB online portal click here to register
- After log-in, applicants are required to fill all the mandatory fields in the Profile Detail section under User Profile, which includes Bio-data, Photo, Institute Address, etc.
- Some of the details of proposal like Project Title (max 500 characters), Project summary (max 3000 characters), Keywords (max 6), Objectives of project (max 1500 characters), Expected output and outcome of the proposal (max 1500 characters), Budget (Manpower, Consumables, Travel, Equipment, Contingency, Overheads ) have to be entered at the time of proposal submission.
- Other relevant information of the proposal has to be uploaded as a single PDF file, not more than 10 MB, as a technical document (TD)
Documents Required (in PDF format)
- Biodata (under user profile section) Download Template
- Certificate from Principal Investigator Download Template
- Endorsement Letter from the Head of Institution Download Template
- Age Proof Certificate (Class X marksheet or Birth certificate)
- Category Certificate (in case of Age Relaxation)
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1. What is the age limit for availing SRG?
A1: The upper age limit for SRG is 42 years, with a relaxation of three years for SC/ST/OBC/ Physically challenged and women candidates.
Q2: What is the nature of support in SRG scheme?
A2: SRG is a one-time grant and carries a maximum research grant of Rs. 30 Lakhs (excluding overheads) for a period of two years. The research grant covers equipment, manpower, consumables, manpower, travel and contingency apart from overheads.
Q3: What is the duration of the SRG project? Can it be extended?
A3: SRG project period is of 2 years. Extension of the project period is not encouraged. Only in very rare and exceptional cases, depending on the necessity and progress of the project, the no-cost extension will be considered. Such a period of extension will be limited to a maximum of six months.
Q4: When should I apply for SRG? Can I apply for the projects throughout the year?
A4: The Call for applications will be notified through the website www.serbonline.in and www.serb.gov.in. The application form along with a proper research proposal highlighting the research work to be undertaken should be submitted online through the website www.serbonline.in during the call opening period.
Q5: How should I apply for SRG?
A5: All applications should be submitted through the SERB online portal www.serbonline.in
Q6: Can I have a Co-PI in SRG project? Can I have a Mentor in SRG?
A6: Co-PI or Mentors are not allowed in this scheme. However, foreign nationals are mandated to have an Indian Co-PI.
Q7:: I am working abroad as a post-doc, and I want to return to India. I intend to apply for SRG. But I have not yet finalized my place of work. Am I eligible to apply under the scheme?
A7: No. The applicant must hold a regular academic/research position in a recognized academic institution/ or national laboratories or any other recognized R&D institutions. Only after joining research or academic institution, one can apply for the grants under this scheme.
Q8: I am implementing an SRG project for the last year. Am I eligible to apply for another project under any other scheme/award or fellowship programs of SERB?
A8: In general, a PI is allowed to operate only one SERB project at a time. Exceptions are allowed for some specific calls under certain topics/programs/schemes. In all other cases, PI can submit another proposal under regular schemes of SERB six months prior to the completion of the ongoing SRG project.
Q9: What documents should I send for receiving the next instalments of the grant?
A9: The PIs should upload an annual Progress Report and financial statements at the end of each financial year. The release of the next instalment of the grant will be considered only after submission of (a) Proper Utilization Certificate (separately for recurring & Non-recurring) and Statement of Expenditure, financial year wise and (b) Annual Progress Report through the SERB online portal.
Q10: I intend to change my Host Institution? What procedure should I follow?
A10: Change of host institute will be considered only (i) from a private/public/government institution to any other public/government institution or (ii) General administrative transfers in government or public-funded institutions. Change of institute will not be considered for any other cases. Change of host institution can be undertaken only after obtaining due approval from SERB. The transfer of the fellowship along with balance grant and the assets to the new institute is allowed, provided the administrative authority of both institutes agree in writing. NOC from the previous host institute and Endorsement Form from the new host Institute must be sent to SERB through the online portal.
Q11: What is the procedure for surrendering SRG project?
A11: For termination of the project, PI needs to inform the SERB through the host institution immediately. The implementing institute should not incur any expenditure from the date of termination of the project or the date of resignation of PI. The institute must also arrange for the submission of relevant documents.
Q12: Can I be away from the implementing Institute when I am implementing the SRG project?
A12: The PIs must seek the consent of SERB if he/she intends to be away from the implementing institute (except for fieldwork related to the project) continuously for a period more than eight weeks.
Q13: What should be done for the unspent grant under SRG project after the completion of the tenure of the project?
A13: The following documents should be sent to the SERB after the duration of the project is completed:
1. Final Consolidated Statement of Expenditure (in duplicate), giving expenditure financial year wise (FY) from date of start till the date of completion;
2. Utilization Certificates (FY wise) for all FYs (in duplicate) matching with Statement of Expenditure figures in that FY;
3. Project Completion Report (PCR) with a list of publications, patents filed.
4. DD/ cheque for the unspent grant, drawn in favour of ‘Fund for Science & Engineering Research’
5. Principal Investigator is responsible for the timely submission of progress report, utilization certificate, project closure report (PCR), a refund of unspent balance amount etc. at the end or early closure of the project.
Call for Proposals under this scheme is now open. Eligible Researchers can submit the proposals till Mar 02, 2020, 05:00 PM.
Editors Note: SERB Start-up Research Grant (SRG) 2020 – Rs. 30 Lakh Grant Value, Start-up research grant 2020, please make sure to be subscribed to the Biotecnika Times Newsletter, Podcast and all of our social media platforms for the latest in the life science industry.