JRF/SRF To Get Rs 1 Lakh For Patent – Rs 50000 For Publishing Paper
Yet another out of the box announcement has been made by the DST, just like corporate India. A committee has been constituted to look into recommendations given by Murmu Committee.
If Murmu Committee Recommendation are accepted then DST – Department of Science and Technology will grant around Rs 50,000/- to JRF / SRF upon publishing a research paper in an international journal. A one time grant of Rs 20,000/- to research scholars holding fellowship if they publish a research paper in any reputed national journal is also proposed. Moreover, if you are successful in obtaining a patent either nationally or internationally you will be entitled to a grant of Rs 1 Lakh.
This is a great initiative taken by the Govt – DST and to some extent, it does signify the seriousness of the Department of science and technology, that they are really interested in encouraging science & research in India. However it remains to be seen if Murmu Committee Recommendations will be accepted as a whole or not! Various other important points have also been listed out as a part of the memorandum which can be seen below in the official notification released.
Feel free to post your comments below and let us know what you think about this new incentivization scheme for researchers. Remembers your comments are read by the most learned and empowered people in the ministry as well. So if you are commenting below, it’s going to give them more insights into your point of view, and then the respective people or policymakers will be able to take better decisions. So go ahead, go through the notification and do share your views.
Government of India
Ministry of Science & Technology Department of Science & Technology
Dated: 2nd February 2019
Subject: Constitution of Inter-Ministerial Empowered Committee on Doctoral Research
|Excerpts of the Murmu Committee Recommendation|
|While considering revision of emoluments for research personnel engaged in R&D of Central Govt. the committee under the chairmanship of Shn GC Murmu, OSD, DoE has recommended the following focused incentives to enhance the quality of research student:|
a) In case of publication in a reputed international Journal by a fellowship holder j.e. JRF /SRF), an amount of Rs. 50,000 (Rupees Fifty Thousand) as a one-time grant should be paid.
b) In case of publication in a reputed national Journal by a fellowship holder 0.e. JRF/SRF), an amount of Rs. 20,000 (Rupees Twenty Thousand) as a one-time grant should be paid.
c) Fellowship holders may be incentivized by an additional amount of Rs. 1,00,000 (Rupees One Lakh), in case obtaining a patent in India or international Patent.
d) Fellowship holders (JRF/SRF) pursuing PH.D must at least have one publication before six months of final evaluation. If not, no further fellowship shall be paid.
e) Empowered committee on Doctoral research may fix criteria for publications in a national/international journal and other issues like screening criteria and issue of upgradation of the level of fellowship.
f) Ministry/ Department may consider fixing the number of fellowships considering their budgetary outlays.
g) After completion of two years, an external assessment may be made mandatory for upgradation from JRF to SRF. h) Annual Satisfactory Assessment may be made mandatory to continue the benefit of fellowship during SRF period.
i) The amount of Contingency, wherever applicable, may be made available to support the following:
j) Teaching Assistantship/Research Assistantship may be made mandatory for research personnel, which will not only enhance teaching capability and Research management of research scholars but also address the vacant faculty positions in several Research Institutes and Universities.
k) Research fellowship holder residing in hostels shall not be entitled to House Rent Allowance HRA.
l) Selection for an award for fellowship shall ordinarily be through common competitive examination. However, for subjects where there is no examination, universities/institutions may start conducting an examination to screen candidates for the award of fellowships. This shall not be applied retrospectively, and the persons already enrolled shall be exempted.
- The Department has been the nodal agency for service related issues in connection with research fellows and is taking up the issue whenever required in consultation with other Science and Technology (S&T) agencies. The S&T sector demands a higher talent base for India to remain competitive not only in S&T but also in technology and innovation-led economic growth. The Department of Science and Technology (DST) and the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) have been emphasizing the importance of creating quality manpower in R&D for erfec1ively connecting science with the economy.
2. The recent OM No. SR/S9/2-08/2018 dated January 30, 2019, issued by the Department has emphasized introduction of incentives to enhance value, quality, and experience in doctoral research based on recommendations of a committee of Department of Expenditure under the chairmanship of Shri G.C Murmu, OSD. Excerpts of the recommendations are annexed. An Inter-Ministerial Empowered Committee has been set-up to evolve the modalities of implementation. The Commiucc is empowered to deal with all issues towards making Ph.D. programme more attractive as well as effective for young students to pursue their research at various academic institutions and research laboratories in the country.
3. The composition and terms of reference of the Empowered Committee are as follows:
- Secretary, Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi – Co-Chair
- Secretary, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Co-Chair Resources and Development, New Delhi – Co-Chair
- Secretary, Department of Scientific & Industrial Research & Director Member General, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi – Member
- Secretary, Department of Agricultural Research and Education & Director General, Indian
- Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi – Member
- Chairman, University Grants Commission, New Delhi – Member
- AS & FA, Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi – Member
- Prof. Jagadish Kumar, Vice-Chancellor, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi – Member
- Prof. V Ramgopal Rao, Director. Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, New Delhi – Member
- Secretary, University Grants Commission, New Delhi – Member
B. Terms of Reference:
i. To examine the recommendations made by Murmu Committee and make appropriate modifications keeping in view especially their operational and implementation aspects.
ii. To formulate mechanisms for implementation of the recommendations.
iii. To recommend any other actions in order to enhance quality, experience, and value during the Ph.D. program including mechanisms for regular disbursement and periodic review of fellowship.
iv. The Committee may co-opt other members or have special invitees, as required, with the approval of-Chair/s.
4. The tenure of the Inter-Ministerial Empowered Committee on Doctoral Research will be three years from the date of issue of the Office Memorandum, or until fun her orders.
5. The members of the Committee will be eligible to TA/DA as admissible under rules in force from time to time in connection with the meetings and work.
6. This issues with the approval of Hon’ble Minister Science and Technology vide Dy. No. 6116 dated 01.02.19.
Empowered Inter-Ministerial to evolve modalities for implementing Performance Based Enhanced Fellowship constituted pic.twitter.com/FUicxB532t
— DSTIndia (@IndiaDST) February 3, 2019