MADURAI KAMARAJ UNIVERSITY
(University with Potential for Excellence)
Madurai – 625 021.
Ph.D. (Full Time/ Part Time) / M.Phil. Programmes – 2017-2018
Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai is on its relentless journey for the past 51 years surmounting hurdles of indigenous and exotic nature on its way and has passed through the tests of accreditation towards reaching the status of Excellence. The University is aware that the process of achieving excellence is continuous and therefore, all efforts are in progress to keep up the momentum.
The University came into being through a bill passed in the Legislative Assembly of the State in the year 1965. It is a statutory university owned and funded by the Government of Tamilnadu and the University Grants Commission. This University is a member of Association of Indian Universities and one of the nine universities in India with a status of University with Potential for Excellence. The present Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Alagappa University and Mother Theresa University are the off-shoots of Madurai Kamaraj University. As on date, it covers four revenue districts of Madurai, Virudhunagar, Dindigul and Theni for its regular academic programme. Currently it holds a total of 77 renowned Departments and 20 Schools. In addition to the Departments and Schools, the University has 21 academic centres and 21 quasi academic supportive units. It has 24 autonomous colleges, 14 aided colleges, 33 self financing colleges, 18 approved institutions, 4 evening colleges, 6 constituent colleges and one University College catering to the higher education needs of large number of students from rural and urban areas.
The Madurai Kamaraj University offers 41 Post-graduate, 35 M.Phil. and 17 Diploma / P.G. Diploma / Certificate courses in various departments. At present, 66 U.G. and 45 P.G. courses are offered in the affiliated Colleges. 2428 students and research scholars are on the roll now. Currently more than 163 individual research projects are being carried out with an outlay exceeding 34 Crores. The University has a modernized central Library with 3 lakhs books, 9,000 e-journals, 3,000 e-books, 55,000 reference and text books. With the one Gbps internet connection, INFONET centre with 50 nodes and smart class rooms have enriched the ICT enabled teaching and learning.
Madurai Kamaraj University is offering Ph.D. (Full Time/Part Time) Programmes in 48 subjects & M.Phil. (Regular) Programmes in 40 subjects in various schools and departments and affiliated colleges. Applications are invited for the admission of Ph.D. (Full Time/Part Time)/ M.Phil. (Regular) 2017-2018.
The applications and other details can be downloaded from the University website mkuniversity.org and filled in application must be sent to The Registrar, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai-625 021 on or before 07.08.2017 along with application fee of Rs.1000/- for Ph.D. and Rs. 750/- for M.Phil., (Rs.500/- and Rs.375/-respectively for SC/ST Candidates).
Candidates shall remit all the fees, prescribed by the University through on-line payment, into the MKU Registrar Account of State Bank of India, Madurai Kamaraj University Branch, Madurai or in any one of its branches near the place of the candidate or send a Demand Draft drawn on any nationalized bank in favour of “The Registrar, Madurai Kamaraj University” payable at Madurai. NRI candidates living abroad shall remit the fees in US $. Foreign nationals residing in India shall be treated equivalent to NRI candidates and they shall pay the fee either in US $ or its equivalent in Indian National Rupee.
I) The M.Phil. Programmes are offered in the following subjects
1)Art History 2)Biotechnology 3)Botany 4)Chemistry 5)Christianity 6)Commerce 7)Comparative Religion (Tamil) 8)Computer Applications 9)Computer Science 10)Economics 11)Education 12)English 13)English Language Studies 14)Entrepreneurship 15)Environmental Sciences 16)Folklore 17)French 18)Geography 19)History 20)Journalism and Mass Communication 21)Kannada 22)Library and Information Science 23)Linguistics 24)Malayalam 25)Management 26)Marine Environmental Studies 27)Material Science 28)Mathematics 29)Media and Communication 30)Nanoscience and Technology 31)Peace Making & Gandhian Thought 32)Physical Education 33)Physics 34)Political Science 35)Saiva Siddhantha Philosophy 36)Sanskrit 37)Sociology 38)Tamil 39)Telugu 40)Vedangas
II) The Ph.D. Programmes are offered in the following subjects
1)Biochemistry 2)Biomedical Science 3)Biotechnology 4)Botany 5)Business Administration 6)Chemistry 7)Commerce 8)Computer Applications 9)Computer Science 10)Economics 11)Education 12)English 13)Environmental Studies 14)Folklore 15)Food and Nutrition 16)French 17)Future Studies 18)Gandhian Thought & Peace Making 19)Genomics / Genetics 20)Geography 21)Gurunank 22)History 23)Immunology 24)Islamic &Tamil Studies 25)Journalism and Mass Communication 26)Kannada 27)Library and Information Science 28)Linguistics 29)Malayalam 30)Material Science 31)Mathematics 32)Microbiology 33)Molecular Biology 34)Music 35)Physical Education 36)Physics 37)Political Science 38)Public Administration 39)Rural Development 40)Saiva Siddhantha Philosophy & Religion 41)Sanskrit 42)Social Work 43)Sociology 44)Tamil 45)Telugu 46)Tourism Management 47)Urudu 48)Zoology
1. Eligibility for Ph.D / M.Phil. Programme
Candidates willing to register for Ph.D Programme should have a Bachelor’s degree as well as a Master’s Degree (10+2+3+2 pattern or equivalent in that order) of this university or of any other university recognized by this university as equivalent thereto in concerned discipline with not less than 55% of marks in the aggregate in Master’s Degree.
A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, may be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer) / DifferentlyAbled and other categories of candidates as per the decision of the authority from time to time, or for those who had obtained their Master’s degree prior to 19th September, 1991. The eligibility marks of 55% (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) and the relaxation of 5% to the categories mentioned above are permissible based only on the qualifying marks without including the grace mark procedures.
Junior/Senior Research Fellows working in research projects funded by various external agencies of National and State level organizations and executed by the Departments of University / Recognized Research Centres of the affiliated Colleges/ Recognized Research Institutions and those who are working as stipendiary/ nonstipendiary research scholars are also eligible to register for Ph.D.
2. Subject of Research
The candidate shall work as a research scholar for a minimum period of three years in the chosen subject which shall be the same as the main branch of knowledge of the Master’s Degree. The candidate with a Master’s degree in a particular discipline may register for Ph.D. in any other related discipline also, if the topic of research is relevant to the discipline of the Master’s degree, as certified by the Research Supervisor and the degree shall be awarded as Ph.D. (inter-disciplinary).
In the case of inter-disciplinary candidates, the guide shall certify with a detailed justification to the effect that the subject for research is inter-disciplinary in nature and this certificate shall be produced along with the application for registration. The candidates doing interdisciplinary research shall have a Guide in the main area and a co-guide in the inter-disciplinary area. Of the two guides, at least one of them shall be from the University. The interdisciplinary research shall be permitted only on clear justification and on the specific recommendation of the Supervisors concerned.
How to Apply:
- Applicants are requested to read carefully the rules of eligibility and other instructions given in the prospectus.
- Applicants who are willing to apply for more than one programme should use separate application for each programme.
- Completed applications must be subscribed on the envelop “Application for Admission to Ph.D (Full Time / Part Time) / M.Phil) Programmes”.
- Two self-addressed, stamped envelope for Rs.10/- should be enclosed along with filled-in applications.
- Selected candidates should submit all original documents/certificates at the time of Interview.
- Change of Centre will not be entertained under any circumstances.
- Late Applications will not be entertained under any circumstances.
- Applicants should attach attested Photocopy of Birth certificate /SSLC certificate, Community Certificate, HSC, UG, PG, M.Phil mark statements, Degree certificates and Certificate of Differently Abled persons along with applications.
- Original certificates should not be sent along with applications.
- The applicant should fill-up the hall-ticket attached to the application and send along with the application.
- Filling with any wrong information or suppression of information may result in the rejection of the application.
- The applications without the attested Xerox copies of relevant certificates will not be considered. Certificates other than those required need not be enclosed.
- All the columns in the application should be filled-in and incomplete application will be summarily rejected.
- Two recent passport size photographs should be affixed along with applications one on the column provided in the application and the other in the Hall-Ticket.
- Tamil Nadu Government reservation policy is followed for all Admission programmes.
- Filled-in applications should reach on or before the last date specified to
Madurai Kamaraj University
Madurai – 625 021.
Important Dates :
- Download of Prospectus, Application and fee Details – 10.07.2017
- Late date for receipt of filed in application – 07.08.2017
- Date of Entrance Test (Offline Objective Examination) –