British Government Officer Chemicals and Life Sciences Job Opening
Job Category: Department for International Trade roles (DIT)
Job Subcategory: Department for International Trade (DIT)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
The Department for International Trade (DIT), operating from the British High Commission network, is looking to fill a vacancy in our trade team at the British Deputy High Commission in Ahmedabad. The primary role will be to assist UK companies in the sectors of Chemicals, Healthcare and Life sciences to do business in India, with the possibility of working across other priority sectors for DIT. The individual will have to work on the three pillars: Market development, Market Access and Commercial opportunities in order to achieve this.
The role would include management of strategic relationships with industry contacts, and relevant Government departments in Gujarat, including updating our internal SRM tools. The job holder will also be expected to support with internal official visits and events, and trade delegations.
Gujarat is one of the leading states in Chemicals manufacturing and provides base to several industries. Along with Chemicals, Healthcare and Life Sciences industry which comprises of Pharmaceuticals, Medical Technology, and Digital Health, are key focus areas for DIT in India.
Working with your manager and colleagues, you will identify and develop an extensive range of contacts in businesses, trade and other government organisations in these sectors, to seek out opportunities for UK businesses, thereby contributing to DIT trade targets.
You will also be a part of the wider virtual Chemicals, Healthcare & Life sciences sector team in India, reporting to the Senior Trade Officer, and will need to be a self-starter, able to manage your own time effectively, evaluating options, impacts, risks and solutions – knowing when and how to seek advice from others. You will also be expected to make a positive contribution to the wider DIT and One-HMG (Her Majesty’s Government) team in India.
You will be based out of British Deputy High Commission in Ahmedabad.
The job holder will require
- To liaise with senior management of Chemical companies, industry and trade associations, Indian hospitals, pharmaceuticals, medical devices and diagnostics in Gujarat, and develop a key account management strategy.
- To identify opportunities for trade between UK and India in the above mentioned areas, and build a pipeline for your region.
- To ensure delivery of targets including, Export Wins, Service Deliveries, Overseas Direct Investment.
- To identify market access barriers for UK companies, and work with trade policy team on resolving them.
- To update internal SRM tools, and extract and disseminate required information to team members.
- To contribute and deliver on planned marketing activities to promote UK Chemicals, Healthcare and Life sciences companies.
- Build and manage senior level relationship with Chemical companies in UK and India
Roles and responsibilities:
Identifying companies in Chemicals, Healthcare and Life Sciences who may be sources of opportunities for UK companies, delivering a pipeline of export opportunities for the UK in Gujarat. Support UK companies looking to invest in India where agreed (case-by-case basis), support our trade policy objectives for the sector (e.g. identifying and tackling market access barriers); and support work on longer term strategic priorities. In doing so, contribute to delivering DIT’s agreed ambitions for export and overseas direct investment wins, and other metrics for the sectors e.g. customer satisfaction/quality, formulating and managing a stakeholder engagement plan to visit these companies.
Ability to communicate with clarity, conviction, integrity and enthusiasm, keeping internal and external stakeholders informed at all times. Updating relevant and useful sector export/ business opportunities and other information on internal SRM tools.
Ability to work cross sectors if needed, and support wider UK Government objectives, including delivery on events, Ministerial/VIP visits and activities, and trade delegations.
Language: English, Hindi, Gujarati (desirable)
Level of language required: Fluent
Graduate/post-graduate. Candidates without the required educational qualifications but with exceptional practical experience will be considered.
- Minimum 5 of years of relevant commercial/business experience.
- An understanding of Chemicals, Healthcare and Life Sciences sector, with an ability to quickly develop contacts in the sector.
- Strong analytical skills to search out significant opportunities for UK business.
- Excellent interpersonal, team working and communication skills.
- Ability to deal with senior level decision makers in the business world.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with an ability to develop a network and manage the relationship with senior decision makers in Government and Industry;
- IT competent: Skilled at using social media to gather information efficiently. Highly competent in standard MS Office tools, such as Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel
- Experience of working in trade/investment promotion.
- Experience of working in Chemicals sector, hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, diagnostic laboratories and medical device companies in India or the UK is an added advantage.
- Experience of working as part of a dispersed team.
- Marketing and presentational skills.
- Knowledge about UK business environment or experience of working/living in the UK;
- Graduate/Postgraduate qualification in Business Administration, Management, Economics and Commerce;
For British High Commission (BHC) candidates, the Local Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply.
For other than BHC candidates, salary will be INR 63,333 per month together with a 12% provident fund and 6% superannuation fund.
Additionally the BHC offers a great benefits package that includes annual domiciliary medical cover, plus a Group Hospitalisation Scheme with INR 500,000 floater cover for your immediate family.
No relocation or any other related costs or assistance will be provided. Notional tax will be deducted if you are not liable to pay local tax.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance. Around half of our work force is women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
Please note : All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, motivational segment and the competency based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the application forms only for all the required details. Forms that are incomplete in any respect will not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage
Internal candidates applying for this position need to upload their appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable) and also inform their current line managers. Else the application will not be considered.
We will accept only online applications by “01st December’19” midnight.
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
PLEASE NOTE: JOB OFFERS FROM THE UK GOVERNMENT
The UK Government, including DIT, does not send unsolicited emails with job offers – either direct or through agents. Government vacancies are advertised on official websites in the UK or in India on the British High Commission’s website.
All British High Commission vacancies are filled through a competitive process managed by our Human Resources Section. You will never be approached directly by the High Commissioner with an offer of a job.
Some job scams falsely use the names and job titles of genuine High Commission staff. It will never be sent from a Hotmail or yahoo type email account.
Editor’s Note: British Government Officer Chemicals jobs, British Government Officer Chemicals vacancies, British Government Officer Chemicals and Life Sciences Job Opening, government jobs, life sciences careers, latest british government job vacancies, please make sure you are subscribed to the Biotecnika Times Newsletter, Podcast and all of our social media for the latest in the life sciences industry.