Research Position Available in Computational and Experimental Biology in SPP lab @ IISER, Kolkata | Attend Walk-in
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Kolkata is an autonomous research and education institute in Nadia district, West Bengal, India. It was established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development in 2006. It is one of seven Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research, and is an autonomous institution awarding its own degrees. The Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research rank 4th in terms of research, coming in right after the Indian Institute of Science, according to the Nature publishing Index.
Research position are available in both, Computational and Experimental Biology in the group of Shree P. Pandey in the areas of NGS data analysis, bioinformatics, DBMS, plant genomics and plant – microbe interaction, plant signaling and defense, molecular plant pathology and stress biology
Brief Description of the group: We are an interdisciplinary group focusing on small-RNA (miRNA, siRNA) mediated regulation of signaling and defense.
A Walk-in assessment-interview will be held on 30th August 2016 for the positions in extramural project at IISER-Kolkata.
Project Description: We study the role of defense signaling and smRNAs (such as miRNAs) during plant-microbe and plant-insect interactions using complementary computational and experimental approaches.
- Computational Biology: Projects involves high throughput analysis of data mostly generated by deep sequencing (RNASeq and small-RNA-Seq), microarrays and related platforms. We are looking for highly motivated and bright individuals interested in high-throughput cutting-edge data analyses methods in plant genomics. The project will involve analysis of deep sequencing (NGS) and microarray data, programming, DBMS, development and implementation of new tools and pipelines.
- Experimental Biology: We are looking for candidates interested in working in the disciplines related to Plant Molecular Biology, Genetics, Breeding, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Botany or Agriculture (or equivalent) with sound knowledge of plant signaling networks.
Available positions: Applications are invited in the international CRP Wheat Program funded by CIMMYT and Max Planck India Partner Program, for openings at the following levels. Condition to satisfactory performance, availability of funds and requirements of the project, the positions could be available upto a period of 1 year (or funding of the project).
Position Title: Project Assistant
Minimum Qualification*: Master’s degree
Salary Scale (per month)#: Rs. 14000
Position Title: Project Fellow (Junior/Senior Data Analyst)
Minimum Qualification*: Masters + adequate research experience/desirable skill sets
Salary Scale (per month)#: Rs. 25000/28000 (at the scale of JRF/SRF)
Position Title: Research Associate/Post-doc
Minimum Qualification*: PhD / PhD + 1-2 year experience
Salary Scale (per month)#: Rs. 36000-40000 (at Research associate level
*Minimum Essential Qualification (Computational positions):
- MSc/MTech/PhD (or other equivalent suitable qualification) in discipline related to areas stated above. For computational positions, candidates should demonstrate experience in either bioinformatics, computational biology, computer application, Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics (or equivalent with high interest in biology)/ ‘Advance PG Diploma in Bioinformatics’ (or equivalent).
- Proficiency in one of the programming languages or statistics (proficient in R for example) is compulsory for computational positions.
#As per rules.
- Programming experience in at least one low level language such as C/C++ and one scripting language such as Perl/Python/PHP
- Knowledge of database management systems (SQL/MySQL).
- Substantial experience in the linux or other unix environments.
- Experience of working in projects on Bioinformatics, Genetics or Biological application areas/Computational and Statistical analysis (e.g. using R or Matlab). Experience in the field of genomics (NGS, microarrays, genome annotation), database development and management, software development, systems and network biology (or related fields) will be preferred.
Essential Qualification (Experimental Biology):
- Masters/PhD (or suitable qualification) in discipline related to areas of molecular biology, genetic engineering, tissue culture, plant genomics, plant defense, molecular pathology, analytical and biochemistry, proteomics, metabolomics, Botany or Agriculture and/or equivalent.
- Candidates with research experience in the area of genetic engineering, tissue culture, plant genomics, plant defense, molecular plant pathology, molecular plant defenses, microbiology, plant-microbe interaction, analytical and plant biochemistry or related discipline will be preferred.
- Knowledge of statistics is desirable.
- Experience on wheat system and/or phytohormone signaling will be an added advantage and preferred.
How To Apply:
Applications should contain CV along with brief description (maximum 1 page) of research conducted (highlighting skills and experience) till now. Applications should be sent by e-mail to Shree P. Pandey, Department of Biological Sciences, IISER-Kolkata, Mohanpur Campus, West Bengal within 2 weeks. E-mail: [email protected], [email protected]
Interviews (walk-in) are scheduled on 4th October 2016 at 10:00 AM
Interested applicants must make their arrangements to attend interview at Room No. B15, Pre-fab II, IISER-Kolkata Permanent Campus, Mohanpur, Nadia 741246. For any assistance write us an email.
Directions on reaching IISER-K: http://www.iiserkol.ac.in/contactus/how-to-reach
For more details visit: http://www.iiserkol.ac.in/~sppandey
- Date: 4th October 2016
- Time: 10:00 AM
- Venue: Room No. B15, Pre-fab II, IISER-Kolkata Permanent Campus, Mohanpur, Nadia 741246