Work as Postdoctoral RA @ Dept. of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge
The University of Cambridge is one of the world’s oldest and most successful Universities, with an outstanding reputation for academic achievement and research. It was ranked first in the 2011 QS World University Rankings and its graduates have won more Nobel Prizes than any other university in the world. The University and the Colleges are linked in a complex historical relationship. The Colleges are self-governing, separate legal entities which appoint their own staff. They admit students, provide student accommodation and deliver small group teaching (supervisions). The University awards degrees and its faculties and departments provide lectures and seminars for students, determine the syllabi for teaching and conduct research.
Job title : Postdoctoral Research Associate in Microbial Membrane Proteomics – PH09128
Salary range: £28,982-£37,768 p.a.
Location: Department of Biochemistry
Length of appointment: The funds for this post are available for 3 years in the first instance.
Limited funding: This post is funded by a research grant and, in the event that this funding should cease, the post may be at risk of redundancy. In the first instance, the funding
supporting the post will be for up 3 years and the head of department, or his/her nominee, will keep the role holder informed of the funding situation.
Probation period: 6 months
The purpose of this role is to support and maintain the University’s national and international reputation for excellence in teaching and research. Contribution to excellence in research will be as a member of a research team carrying out research at a similar level to that undertaken by lecturing staff and will provide substantial scope for academic judgement, originality, interpretation and presentation of results. The role holder will assist with grant administration and the writing of reports for funding bodies. Contribution to teaching will include assistance in the presentation of seminars and may include participation in the research group’s teaching programme. The role holder will participate in the overall contribution of the department/faculty, as appropriate.
Research and scholarship:
- develop research objectives and proposals for own or joint research;
- conduct individual and collaborative research projects;
- write up research work for presentation and publication;
- continually update knowledge and understanding in field or specialism;
- translate knowledge of advances in the subject areas into research activity;
- manage own research and administrative activities, with guidance if required.
- assist in the preparation of proposals and applications to external bodies, e.g. for funding and contractual purposes;
- communicate material of a specialist or highly technical nature.Teaching and learning support:
- may assist in the supervision of student projects;
- provide limited supervision/instruction to classes;
- may assist in the development of student research skills;
- may plan and deliver seminars relating to research area.Liaison and networking:
- liaise with colleagues and students;
- build internal and external contacts and participate in networks for the exchange of information and to form relationships for future collaboration.Planning and organising:
- plan the use of research resources, laboratories and workshops as appropriate;
- plan and manage own research activity in collaboration with others;
- contribute to planning of joint research projects led by principal investigator.
Education & qualifications:
The ideal applicant will have a PhD in a biological science
Specialist knowledge & skills:
The role holder would possess some research experience with sufficient breadth/depth of specialist knowledge in the discipline and of research methods and techniques to work within established research programmes. Will continually update knowledge in the specialist area and engage in continuous professional development. Experience of managing own workload
Interpersonal & communication skills:
Self-motivation, team player, good communication skills
Ideally will have expertise in protein chemistry, quantitative proteomics, mass spectrometry and microbiology.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates can apply online via the link below
Closing date for receipt of online applications: 12th June, 2016