Notification for TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) of India and TWAS, the academy of sciences for the developing world, have instituted a number of fellowships for foreign scholars from developing countries who wish to pursue research leading towards PhD in newly emerging areas in science and technology for which facilities are available in the Laboratories/Institutes of the CSIR. Deadline: 31 August.
Important : The following is additional information concerning the TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme tenable in India. It is an integral part of the information given here: TWAS Fellowships for Postgraduate Research.
Programme Details :
- TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable in CSIR research laboratories and institutes in India for a maximum period of four years.
- Applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country, or may enrol in a PhD course at any University in India.
- Eligible CSIR institutions: Information on CSIR laboratories and institutes can be obtained by following the links from the CSIR homepage (www.csir.res.in). Alternatively, a list of eligible institutes is available here: CSIR institutes and here: CSIR-Centres.doc .
- SANDWICH Fellowships (for those registered for a PhD in their home country): The Fellowship may be granted for a minimum period of 6 months and a maximum of 4 years.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships (for those not registered for a PhD): The Fellowship may be granted for an initial period of up to 12 months. Such Fellowships may then be extended for a further 3 years, subject to the student's performance and his/her registration for PhD at a university in India or their home country. CSIR will confirm any such extensions to both TWAS and the candidate.
- CSIR will provide a monthly stipend to cover for living costs, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. In addition, Fellowship awardees are entitled to subsidized accommodation.
- The language of instruction for foreign scholars in CSIR laboratories/institutes is English.
Eligibility : Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than India.
- Hold a Master's degree in science and technology.
- Be regularly employed in their home country and hold a research assignment there.
- SANDWICH Fellowships : Be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the "Registration and No Objection Certificate" from the HOME university.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships : Be willing to register at a university in India within the first year, if agreed to by CSIR.
- Be accepted at a CSIR laboratory/institution and provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution (see sample Acceptance Letter included in the Application Form). N.B. Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen CSIR host institution(s), with copy to the CSIR contact person. This will allow CSIR to monitor requests and offer support or assistance in finding suitable host institution(s), if necessary;
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English.
Submitting your application :
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 31 August of each year.
- If already registered for a PhD in their home country, applicants should ensure that the Vice-Chancellor or Registrar of the HOME university signs a copy of the "Registration and No Objection Certificate" (see sample included in the Application Form), a copy of which should be sent to both CSIR and TWAS.
- Applicants should submit the acceptance letter from a CSIR institution to CSIR and TWAS when applying or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Applications for the TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme should be sent to TWAS and CSIR (by post, fax or email).
- Applicants should be aware that they can apply for only one fellowship per year. With the exception of the fellowships "for research collaboration", all other fellowship programmes offered by TWAS and TWOWS that are mutually exclusive.