Ph.D Scholarships on Host Virus Interactions at Denmark Technical University , Denmark | M.Sc, M.Tech Bio Can apply
A 3 yearposition studying host-virus interactions in rainbow trout is available at the National Veterinary Institute, Technical University of Denmark (DTU). The place of work is Aarhus, Division of Poultry, Fish and Fur Animals. The candidate will be linked to the Research Group for Fish Immunology and Vaccinology.
Theproject is an integrated part of a larger National Research project with focus on co-evolutionary aspects of host and virus on both genetic and phenotypic levels. The project will include shorter stays at research institutes outside of Denmark.
- The overall scientific aim of this project is to disclose and characterise the mechanisms involved in immunity to a lethal fish rhabdovirus (viral haemorrhagic septicaemia virus, VHSV).
- A DNA-based vaccine inducing a highly protective immune response here represents an important tool along with immuno assays and techniques.
- A major task will be to determine mRNA and miRNA response profiles to vaccination and/or infection and to correlate these with the phenotypic traits (level of immunity, humoral and cellular immune response).
- Gene expression analysis will be an important activity, but work at all levels including also functional studies of virus propagation in cell culture as well as wet lab vaccination and infection trials should be expected.
- Publishing of results in scientific journals will represent an integrated element.
- A number of training courses will be included in the study.
Applicants should meet the following qualifications:
- A master's degree in either veterinary medicine, biology or a comparable discipline or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to the master's degree
- Experience in immunology, virology and/or research
- An interest in scientific understanding of host-pathogen interactions, aiming at development of strategies for disease prophylaxis
- Fluency in English speaking and writing
- Good skills in scientific communication and innovative thinking, good social skills
Approval and Enrolment
- The scholarships for the DTU PhD Guide. degree are subject to academic approval and the candidates will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes of DTU. For information about the general requirements for enrolment and the general planning of the scholarship studies, please see the
Salary and appointment terms
- The salary and appointment terms are consistent with the current rules for degree students. The period of employment is 3 years.
- For further information please contact Senior Scientist Niels Lorenzen, 3588 6829.
You can read more about National Veterinary Institute at www.vet.dtu.dk/English.aspx
Deadline for application is 15 August 2010. Please open the link "apply for this job online" and fill in the application form and attach:
- A motivation describing why you are interested in this position
- A CV including publications
- Copy of certificate with grades
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.