National Institute of Virology | Pune
The National Institute of Virology is one of the major Institutes of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR). Since the studies on arboviruses and their arthropod vectors involve most of the basic principles and techniques of general virology, entomology and , these viruses were also considered to be an ideal group, to begin with, for intensive training and research in virology in our country.
The research activities of the center were made more meaningful and self reliant by organizing new areas of research, such as Cell repository, Electron microscopy, Rickettsioses, Hepatitis, Influenza and related viruses, Clinical virology, , Virus registry, and Biostatistics.
The following are the thrust areas of NIV
- Thorough investigations of epidemics of viral /suspected viral and diseases of unknown etiology.
- To serve as an apex national laboratory in providing quick and accurate diagnostic services whenever situation demands.
- High quality applied and basic research on viruses of public health relevance including:
- Precise assessment of prevalence of different viruses in different populations at different time points, identifying risk groups requiring interventions. Conducting similar studies in animals / mosquitoes and other insects.
- Development of diagnostics, both serological and molecular.
- Understanding of the genetic variation in viruses with time, location and clinical presentation.
- Development of vaccines employing different approaches.
- Pathogenesis of viral infections in animal models and humans.
- Partner to several national and international studies assessing efficacy of antivirals / vaccines, prevalence of viral infections and characterization of viruses.
- To suggest preventive and control strategies for viral infections.
- Timely supply of diagnostic kits to WHO, neighboring countries and network of laboratories identified by the government within India.
- Applications are periodically invited for various posts including Research Scientist II, Research Assistant, Lab Technician & . The requirements for each of the courses can be found here.
Contact Details :
National Institute of Virology
20/ A, Dr. Ambedkar Road.
Post Box No. 11, India
Tel.No. : 91-020-26127301
Fax No. : 91-020-26122669